Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Re-Bottling Question

Have a Pear Melomel that I bottled like a dumby while a bit cloudy.
It's now cleared nicely but of course there's fluff in the bottle.

I'd like to re bottle it. Thought about opening the bottles and
siphoning into a carboy to let it settle then bottleing. Another
thought was siphoning directly into bottles and recorking.

The benifits of the former is it'll have a better chance to clear
before bottling agian. The draw back I see is O2 exposure.

The latter has the advantage of maybe minimizing O2 exposure but
probably can't get it as free of fluff.

I'm leaning to the carboy method but would appreciate any thoughts on
this.

Thanks
Steve (why noir)
Oregon
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

spud wrote:

> Have a Pear Melomel that I bottled like a dumby while a bit cloudy.
> It's now cleared nicely but of course there's fluff in the bottle.
>
> I'd like to re bottle it. Thought about opening the bottles and
> siphoning into a carboy to let it settle then bottleing. Another
> thought was siphoning directly into bottles and recorking.
>
> The benifits of the former is it'll have a better chance to clear
> before bottling agian. The draw back I see is O2 exposure.
>
> The latter has the advantage of maybe minimizing O2 exposure but
> probably can't get it as free of fluff.
>
> I'm leaning to the carboy method but would appreciate any thoughts on
> this.
>
> Thanks
> Steve (why noir)
> Oregon

I would go with the carboy method. I would just pour it in, maybe add some
bentonite, add some sulfite to compensate for the O2 exposure. Trying to
siphon out of a bottle would be a PITA

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 14:25:21 -0500, "Paul E. Lehmann"
> wrote:

>spud wrote:
>
>> Have a Pear Melomel... I'd like to re bottle it.

>I would go with the carboy method. I would just pour it in, maybe add some
>bentonite, add some sulfite to compensate for the O2 exposure. Trying to
>siphon out of a bottle would be a PITA
>
>Paul

Paul:

It sure would be a PITA.

You know what, I could fix a racking tube to the bottom of a funnel
and avoid splashing that way. Better than pouring it down the side of
carboy, eh?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Dec 13, 2:53*pm, spud > wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 14:25:21 -0500, "Paul E. Lehmann"
>
> > wrote:
> >spud wrote:

> >> Have a Pear Melomel... I'd like to re bottle it.

> >I would go with the carboy method. *I would just pour it in, maybe add some
> >bentonite, add some sulfite to compensate for the O2 exposure. *Trying to
> >siphon out of a bottle would be a PITA

> >Paul

> Paul:
>
> It sure would be a PITA. *
>
> You know what, I could fix a racking tube to the bottom of a funnel
> and avoid splashing that way. *Better than pouring it down the side of
> carboy, eh?
>
> Steve

If you use thin tubing, siphoning out of a bottle is slow but clean.
I use oxygen tubing. Then you could dump the remainder into a bottle
or two for settling in a fridge.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article >,
spud > wrote:

> Have a Pear Melomel that I bottled like a dumby while a bit cloudy.
> It's now cleared nicely but of course there's fluff in the bottle.
>
> I'd like to re bottle it. Thought about opening the bottles and
> siphoning into a carboy to let it settle then bottleing. Another
> thought was siphoning directly into bottles and recorking.
>
> The benifits of the former is it'll have a better chance to clear
> before bottling agian. The draw back I see is O2 exposure.
>
> The latter has the advantage of maybe minimizing O2 exposure but
> probably can't get it as free of fluff.
>
> I'm leaning to the carboy method but would appreciate any thoughts on
> this.
>
> Thanks
> Steve (why noir)
> Oregon

The trade-off is reduced flavor for better cosmetics. I'd probably just
decant the molomel before drinking. That said, how about placing the
demi-john/carboy in a clean garbage can and use dry ice to displace the
atmosphere (O2)? Maybe, use a new gas can to put dry ice into, and use
the flexible spout to direct the CO2 flow into the carboy. If you
refreshed the dry ice occassionally, you would have a nearly oxygen free
environment to open you bottles in. The real problem with this is that
the carboy should be completely filled because the CO2 will dissolve
into the molomel giving it some spritz. This would be greatly reduced if
there was no head space in the bottle/carboy. Best, would be a cylinder
of argon.
--
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist."
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm