Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Bottling BBQ sauce

Did some research on BBQ sauce and acidity, specifically the pH that
sauce or other canned items must be at to qualify for Boiling Water Bath
canning.

Basically if your sauce is acidic enough (pH 4.6 or lower) you can use a
Boiling Water Bath. If not, you'll have to use a pressure cooker. If in
doubt, use the pressure method. You may have to find yourself a pH meter
or a strip that is fairly accurate. I've heard you can get some from
drug stores but never tried it myself.

If unsure of the pH and have no way to test it I would go ahead and
pressure can it but be sure to get the right time and pressure to ensure
food safety. That should be available somewhere on the net, just haven't
had time to look it up yet.

Note: Be aware that some internet sites that tell you how to can things
are NOT reliable and often carry erroneous information.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Did some research on BBQ sauce and acidity, specifically the pH that
> sauce or other canned items must be at to qualify for Boiling Water Bath
> canning.
>
> Basically if your sauce is acidic enough (pH 4.6 or lower) you can use a
> Boiling Water Bath. If not, you'll have to use a pressure cooker. If in
> doubt, use the pressure method. You may have to find yourself a pH meter
> or a strip that is fairly accurate. I've heard you can get some from
> drug stores but never tried it myself.
>
> If unsure of the pH and have no way to test it I would go ahead and
> pressure can it but be sure to get the right time and pressure to ensure
> food safety. That should be available somewhere on the net, just haven't
> had time to look it up yet.
>
> Note: Be aware that some internet sites that tell you how to can things
> are NOT reliable and often carry erroneous information.

I think we were typing at the same time.

The pH test strips to use would be ones from a homebrew shop. They
measure over a fairly narrow range around 4.5

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:48:02 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Did some research on BBQ sauce and acidity, specifically the pH that
>sauce or other canned items must be at to qualify for Boiling Water Bath
>canning.
>
>Basically if your sauce is acidic enough (pH 4.6 or lower) you can use a
>Boiling Water Bath. If not, you'll have to use a pressure cooker. If in
>doubt, use the pressure method. You may have to find yourself a pH meter
>or a strip that is fairly accurate. I've heard you can get some from
>drug stores but never tried it myself.
>
>If unsure of the pH and have no way to test it I would go ahead and
>pressure can it but be sure to get the right time and pressure to ensure
>food safety. That should be available somewhere on the net, just haven't
>had time to look it up yet.
>
>Note: Be aware that some internet sites that tell you how to can things
>are NOT reliable and often carry erroneous information.

Thanks George and everyone else who responded. I had wanted to do
this project during the upcoming weekend but I'm going to put it off
untill I have time to read more and get a meter or strips. I didn't
realize how critical the ph was. I should have taken on an easier
task for my maiden voyage. <g>

I've read all the replies and I appreciate the input. I'll go back to
lurking for a bit but I'll be back.

Thanks again,

Lou
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/20/2011 1:55 PM, Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:48:02 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> Did some research on BBQ sauce and acidity, specifically the pH that
>> sauce or other canned items must be at to qualify for Boiling Water Bath
>> canning.
>>
>> Basically if your sauce is acidic enough (pH 4.6 or lower) you can use a
>> Boiling Water Bath. If not, you'll have to use a pressure cooker. If in
>> doubt, use the pressure method. You may have to find yourself a pH meter
>> or a strip that is fairly accurate. I've heard you can get some from
>> drug stores but never tried it myself.
>>
>> If unsure of the pH and have no way to test it I would go ahead and
>> pressure can it but be sure to get the right time and pressure to ensure
>> food safety. That should be available somewhere on the net, just haven't
>> had time to look it up yet.
>>
>> Note: Be aware that some internet sites that tell you how to can things
>> are NOT reliable and often carry erroneous information.

> Thanks George and everyone else who responded. I had wanted to do
> this project during the upcoming weekend but I'm going to put it off
> untill I have time to read more and get a meter or strips. I didn't
> realize how critical the ph was. I should have taken on an easier
> task for my maiden voyage.<g>
>
> I've read all the replies and I appreciate the input. I'll go back to
> lurking for a bit but I'll be back.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Lou

The door is always open, just like the bar down the street. <G>