Joe Ae

Default bottling question

I have a DJ with 2002 wine that was racked 4 months ago. I am thinking of
bottling it now to free up some space and savor some of my fruits. It may
be possible to go directly to bottle. But how could I ensure adequate
levels of sulfite? Could I add the additional sulfite to the DJ just before
bottling?
What wine temperature is best to bottle?

Thanks

Joe

Tom S

"Joe Ae" > wrote in message
. ..
> I have a DJ with 2002 wine that was racked 4 months ago. I am thinking of
> bottling it now to free up some space and savor some of my fruits. It may
> be possible to go directly to bottle. But how could I ensure adequate
> levels of sulfite? Could I add the additional sulfite to the DJ just

before
> bottling?

Yes, unless the wine is sitting on lees. A sulfite addition would of
necessity stir up the lees when you mix in the sulfite to distribute it. If
it's on any sediment at all, you'd better rack it before sulfiting and
bottling it. This could all be done on the same day.

> What wine temperature is best to bottle?

Room temperature. Oxygen is less soluble in warmer wine.

Tom S

Robert Lee

You need to add some sulfite pre-bottling anyway to deal with the O2 you
will get bottling.

Room temp bottling also means less problems in judging the correct ullage
for your bottles, nothing worse than overfilling and popping corks
everywhere when it warms up.

Rob L

"Tom S" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Joe Ae" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > I have a DJ with 2002 wine that was racked 4 months ago. I am thinking

of
> > bottling it now to free up some space and savor some of my fruits. It

may
> > be possible to go directly to bottle. But how could I ensure adequate
> > levels of sulfite? Could I add the additional sulfite to the DJ just

> before
> > bottling?

> Yes, unless the wine is sitting on lees. A sulfite addition would of
> necessity stir up the lees when you mix in the sulfite to distribute it.

If
> it's on any sediment at all, you'd better rack it before sulfiting and
> bottling it. This could all be done on the same day.
>
> > What wine temperature is best to bottle?

> Room temperature. Oxygen is less soluble in warmer wine.
>
> Tom S

Bottling BBQ sauce George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 3 20-09-2011 08:13 PM
Re-Bottling Question spud Winemaking 4 10-01-2010 05:50 PM
'07 bottling? AxisOfBeagles[_2_] Winemaking 2 09-11-2007 10:28 PM
Newbie Bottling Question J F Winemaking 5 25-03-2004 04:23 PM
bottling question (wax the cork?) Michael E. Carey Winemaking 6 13-12-2003 05:13 PM