zxcvbob

Default Fwd: Crabapples

I posted this last night in the beermaking group and haven't gotten any
replies. I'm not sure where mead questions belong. (While writing
this, I just found the mead group. D'oh!)

Bob

Ray Calvert

Years and years ago I made wine by cutting them up but I cut them smaller
than quarters. Probably 8ths for the size you are talking about. I did use
plenty of pectic enzyme. Your idea of freezing them first is a good one
too. I then fermented on the pulp for a week and then squeezed them out by
hand and finished fermenting in secondary. Today I would use my wine press
at the end of the week.

Ray

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>I posted this last night in the beermaking group and haven't gotten any
>replies. I'm not sure where mead questions belong. (While writing this, I
>just found the mead group. D'oh!)
>
> Bob

spud

Ray:

What do you have to say about the wine?

Oregon

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:35:10 GMT, "Ray Calvert"
> wrote:

>Years and years ago I made wine by cutting them up but I cut them smaller
>than quarters. Probably 8ths for the size you are talking about. I did use
>plenty of pectic enzyme. Your idea of freezing them first is a good one
>too. I then fermented on the pulp for a week and then squeezed them out by
>hand and finished fermenting in secondary. Today I would use my wine press
>at the end of the week.
>Ray

Ray Calvert

That is a harder question. That was among my first efforts. 25+ years ago.
I was impressed at the time but I was not wine savy and had no group like
this to help me so I was feeling my way in the dark. Further, it was before
I had airconditioning so I was making and storing it in awful conditions.
Rooms that easily exceeded 100 deg F. But I enjoyed it. It would be better
if you had an apple grinder and press. But it is possible to do it the way
I did it back then.

Ray

"spud" > wrote in message
> Ray:
>
> What do you have to say about the wine?
>
> Oregon
>
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:35:10 GMT, "Ray Calvert"
> > wrote:
>
>>Years and years ago I made wine by cutting them up but I cut them smaller
>>than quarters. Probably 8ths for the size you are talking about. I did
>>use
>>plenty of pectic enzyme. Your idea of freezing them first is a good one
>>too. I then fermented on the pulp for a week and then squeezed them out
>>by
>>hand and finished fermenting in secondary. Today I would use my wine
>>press
>>at the end of the week.
>>Ray

Ray Calvert

"spud" > wrote in message
> Ray:
>
> What do you have to say about the wine?
>
> Oregon
>
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:35:10 GMT, "Ray Calvert"
> > wrote:
>
>>Years and years ago I made wine by cutting them up but I cut them smaller
>>than quarters. Probably 8ths for the size you are talking about. I did
>>use
>>plenty of pectic enzyme. Your idea of freezing them first is a good one
>>too. I then fermented on the pulp for a week and then squeezed them out
>>by
>>hand and finished fermenting in secondary. Today I would use my wine
>>press
>>at the end of the week.
>>Ray

spud

Thanks Ray, appreaciate it.

Steve
Oregon

>Ray Calvert wrote:

>That is a harder question. That was among my first efforts. 25+ years ago.
>I was impressed at the time but I was not wine savy and had no group like
>this to help me so I was feeling my way in the dark. Further, it was before
>I had airconditioning so I was making and storing it in awful conditions.
>Rooms that easily exceeded 100 deg F. But I enjoyed it. It would be better
>if you had an apple grinder and press. But it is possible to do it the way
>I did it back then.
>
>Ray

spud

Thanks Ray, appreaciate it.

Steve
Oregon

Crabapples zxcvbob Preserving 11 26-08-2009 04:52 PM
crabapples ellen wickberg Preserving 15 26-11-2004 08:15 PM
crabapples zxcvbob Preserving 17 23-08-2004 03:18 PM
Crabapples... Robin Somes Winemaking 3 02-11-2003 10:28 PM
14 lb of crabapples A.J. Rawls Winemaking 9 26-10-2003 10:52 PM