Robin Somes

Default Crabapples...

Hi folks,

I've got a huge pile of crab apples, mmmm... Tomorrow I'm all set to
follow Jack K's recipe at

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques40.asp

soaking the apples, then crushing them and fermenting on the pulp. I
planned to use 6lb of apples to the gallon, plus a couple of pounds of
eating apples for a bit more sweetness.

But a thought crosses my mind; it may be a daft thought, but it's there
now: boiling the apples, quite thoroughly, and straining off the juice -
as I've been doing already this evening to make crab apple jelly. Would
I be missing out on tannin from the skins and pips by doing it this way
round, or will the boiling see to that? And presumably it'll need some
fairly heavy pectic enzyme treatment, too?

TIA
cheers,
robin
--
www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk
Negodki

"Robin Somes" > wrote:

> But a thought crosses my mind; it may be a daft thought, but it's there
> now: boiling the apples, quite thoroughly, and straining off the juice -
> as I've been doing already this evening to make crab apple jelly. Would
> I be missing out on tannin from the skins and pips by doing it this way
> round, or will the boiling see to that? And presumably it'll need some
> fairly heavy pectic enzyme treatment, too?

Boiling will extract a lot of flavour. It will also destroy a lot of
important "stuff" and guarantee a pectin haze. Ferment your apples on the
skins, and press when the ferment ends --- about 20 days if you go at room
temperature, 10 days if you heat it to 70F.

Robin Somes

In message >, Negodki
> writes

<boiling apples>

>Boiling will extract a lot of flavour. It will also destroy a lot of
>important "stuff" and guarantee a pectin haze. Ferment your apples on
>the skins, and press when the ferment ends --- about 20 days if you
>go at room temperature, 10 days if you heat it to 70F.

"and guarantee a pectin haze."

Chilling words...

Many thanks for pointing that out. I've crushed them all with the
recommended length of 4x4 timber, and they sit waiting for the yeast
tomorrow.

cheers,
robin
--
www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk
www.amazonian-fish.co.uk www.pisces-conservation.com
www.irchouse.demon.co.uk www.blackwell-science.com/southwood
Trust me, I'm a webmaster...
Tom and Shelley

I started a gallon of Crabapple about a month ago. I boiled the apples
per the recipe. I have not tasted it and it is still sitting on the lees at
this point but it is very cloudy.
Tom and Shelley

Crabapples zxcvbob Preserving 11 26-08-2009 04:52 PM
crabapples ellen wickberg Preserving 15 26-11-2004 08:15 PM
Fwd: Crabapples zxcvbob Winemaking 6 15-09-2004 03:14 AM
crabapples zxcvbob Preserving 17 23-08-2004 03:18 PM
14 lb of crabapples A.J. Rawls Winemaking 9 26-10-2003 10:52 PM