Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Crabapples

I rode my bike over to the water department to check out their one
remaining crabapple tree. It was covered with bright red crabapples
about the size and shape of a supermarket red radish. There were a
bunch of drops under the tree.

I picked one and bit into it and it was ripe -- tart, a little bit
sweet, and white fleshed. (I thought they were red fleshed. I wonder
where I picked those red-fleshed apples a couple of years ago?) I
picked a plastic grocery bag full in about 5 minutes. The tree is still
covered, I just made a small dent.

I think I'll slice them and try out the steam juicer again. I wonder if
the juice will be pink...

Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> I rode my bike over to the water department to check out their one
> remaining crabapple tree. It was covered with bright red crabapples
> about the size and shape of a supermarket red radish. There were a
> bunch of drops under the tree.
>
> I picked one and bit into it and it was ripe -- tart, a little bit
> sweet, and white fleshed. (I thought they were red fleshed. I wonder
> where I picked those red-fleshed apples a couple of years ago?) I
> picked a plastic grocery bag full in about 5 minutes. The tree is still
> covered, I just made a small dent.
>
> I think I'll slice them and try out the steam juicer again. I wonder if
> the juice will be pink...
>
> Bob

Do you know if they're Dolgo crabs? Those will get you beautiful red
juice and jelly.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> I rode my bike over to the water department to check out their one
>> remaining crabapple tree. It was covered with bright red crabapples
>> about the size and shape of a supermarket red radish. There were a
>> bunch of drops under the tree.
>>
>> I picked one and bit into it and it was ripe -- tart, a little bit
>> sweet, and white fleshed. (I thought they were red fleshed. I wonder
>> where I picked those red-fleshed apples a couple of years ago?) I
>> picked a plastic grocery bag full in about 5 minutes. The tree is still
>> covered, I just made a small dent.
>>
>> I think I'll slice them and try out the steam juicer again. I wonder if
>> the juice will be pink...
>>
>> Bob

> Do you know if they're Dolgo crabs? Those will get you beautiful red
> juice and jelly.

I have no idea what they are, just that they are kind of large for
flowering crabs, and they have a good flavor. (I've been munching on
them.) I was sure they would be red-fleshed and a little smaller, but
maybe that was one of the trees they cut down.

I also saw some apple blossoms at the edge of the woods where i work
this spring, and made a mental note where the trees were. I need to
check them out too.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > Do you know if they're Dolgo crabs? Those will get you beautiful red
> > juice and jelly.

> I have no idea what they are, just that they are kind of large for
> flowering crabs, and they have a good flavor.
> Bob

<http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu.../images/galler
y/jpg-wm/ros/maldo50.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hort.net/gallery/view/ros/m
aldo/&usg=__lB7cNWcq-HLPsnESJbTQtsy6sHI=&h=264&w=396&sz=26&hl=en&start= 15
&tbnid=sT09LbG3O1EH9M:&tbnh=83&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddolgo%26gbv%3D
2%26hl%3Den>

or http://tinyurl.com/l2he9k

Is that it? Red peel, creamy white flesh.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 21:53:20 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>I rode my bike over to the water department to check out their one
>remaining crabapple tree. It was covered with bright red crabapples
>about the size and shape of a supermarket red radish. There were a
>bunch of drops under the tree.
>
>I picked one and bit into it and it was ripe -- tart, a little bit
>sweet, and white fleshed. (I thought they were red fleshed. I wonder
>where I picked those red-fleshed apples a couple of years ago?) I
>picked a plastic grocery bag full in about 5 minutes. The tree is still
>covered, I just made a small dent.
>
>I think I'll slice them and try out the steam juicer again. I wonder if
>the juice will be pink...
>
>Bob

Bob.

Sounds like they may be Dolgo crabapples and will make red juice and
jelly.
I just went out to one of our Dolgo trees and took a few photos.
This one is a clump of apples with a ruler to give you an idea of
size. http://tinypic.com/r/slpd0g/3
For this one, I pulled down a branch and bit off one side to give you
an idea of inside colour, slightly yellowish rather than white.
http://tinypic.com/r/2vnrtdg/3
We just cut them in half and load the steamer and steam for about 2
hours. A picture of the resulting jelly is on alt.binaries.food with
the Subject: Crabapple Jelly. Or he http://tinypic.com/r/wakl5u/3

Ross.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Do you know if they're Dolgo crabs? Those will get you beautiful red
>>> juice and jelly.

>> I have no idea what they are, just that they are kind of large for
>> flowering crabs, and they have a good flavor.
>> Bob

> <http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu.../images/galler
> y/jpg-wm/ros/maldo50.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hort.net/gallery/view/ros/m
> aldo/&usg=__lB7cNWcq-HLPsnESJbTQtsy6sHI=&h=264&w=396&sz=26&hl=en&start= 15
> &tbnid=sT09LbG3O1EH9M:&tbnh=83&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddolgo%26gbv%3D
> 2%26hl%3Den>
>
> or http://tinyurl.com/l2he9k
>
> Is that it? Red peel, creamy white flesh.

That might be it! The fruit were in big clusters; that's how I was able
to pick 10 pounds of 'em in just a few minutes. I always assumed Dolgo
had red flesh because their juice was red.

I also have about 3 pounds of red-fleshed crabs in the freezer. They
are about half the size and taste "drier".

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> zxcvbob > wrote:
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> [ . . . ]
> Is that it? Red peel, creamy white flesh.

I'd like to try crabapples in my next batch of Liege Syrup. The last batch
(made with Granny Smith's) was way sweet.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > or http://tinyurl.com/l2he9k
> >
> > Is that it? Red peel, creamy white flesh.

> That might be it! The fruit were in big clusters; that's how I was able
> to pick 10 pounds of 'em in just a few minutes. I always assumed Dolgo
> had red flesh because their juice was red.

Nope. The gorgeous color comes from the peel.

I know where there's a tree but I'm too pooped to go get them. Then I'd
have to cook them if I did.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
And check this, too:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8279841&page=1
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> or http://tinyurl.com/l2he9k
>>>
>>> Is that it? Red peel, creamy white flesh.

>> That might be it! The fruit were in big clusters; that's how I was able
>> to pick 10 pounds of 'em in just a few minutes. I always assumed Dolgo
>> had red flesh because their juice was red.

> Nope. The gorgeous color comes from the peel.
>
> I know where there's a tree but I'm too pooped to go get them. Then I'd
> have to cook them if I did.

I have 8 pounds of 'em sliced and in the Juicer steaming right now.
I've learned a couple of things already:

1) Leaving apples in a *plastic* bag in the car for a couple of days
is a bad idea. (if any of them have even a trace of brown rot, it
goes crazy in that environment) Luckily I caught it just in time.

2) You can look *too* closely for insects when you're trimming fruit
to make juice. :-P

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

*Beautiful* Jelly!!!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 21:53:20 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> I rode my bike over to the water department to check out their one
>> remaining crabapple tree. It was covered with bright red crabapples
>> about the size and shape of a supermarket red radish. There were a
>> bunch of drops under the tree.
>>
>> I picked one and bit into it and it was ripe -- tart, a little bit
>> sweet, and white fleshed. (I thought they were red fleshed. I wonder
>> where I picked those red-fleshed apples a couple of years ago?) I
>> picked a plastic grocery bag full in about 5 minutes. The tree is still
>> covered, I just made a small dent.
>>
>> I think I'll slice them and try out the steam juicer again. I wonder if
>> the juice will be pink...
>>
>> Bob

> Bob.
>
> Sounds like they may be Dolgo crabapples and will make red juice and
> jelly.
> I just went out to one of our Dolgo trees and took a few photos.
> This one is a clump of apples with a ruler to give you an idea of
> size.
http://tinypic.com/r/slpd0g/3
> For this one, I pulled down a branch and bit off one side to give you
> an idea of inside colour, slightly yellowish rather than white.
> http://tinypic.com/r/2vnrtdg/3
> We just cut them in half and load the steamer and steam for about 2
> hours. A picture of the resulting jelly is on alt.binaries.food with
> the Subject: Crabapple Jelly. Or he http://tinypic.com/r/wakl5u/3
>
> Ross.

I got 2 quart fruit jars and almost a pint jar of thickish cloudy red
juice. Basically, a full half gallon. I think the viscosity is from
dissolved pectin. It will clear when I add the sugar.

Do you use added pectin when you make your jelly, or just add sugar and
boil it? I'm not sure how this steamer juice compares to jellybag juice
or cold pressed juice. I tried making no-pectin-added peach jelly a few
years ago because the thickness of the juice fooled me. (It made lovely
peach syrup. :-) But peaches are a low-pectin fruit, so I should have
known better.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 09:21:33 -0500, zxcvbob >

>> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 21:53:20 -0500, zxcvbob >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I rode my bike over to the water department to check out their one
>>> remaining crabapple tree. It was covered with bright red crabapples
>>> about the size and shape of a supermarket red radish. There were a
>>> bunch of drops under the tree.
>>>
>>> I picked one and bit into it and it was ripe -- tart, a little bit
>>> sweet, and white fleshed. (I thought they were red fleshed. I wonder
>>> where I picked those red-fleshed apples a couple of years ago?) I
>>> picked a plastic grocery bag full in about 5 minutes. The tree is still
>>> covered, I just made a small dent.
>>>
>>> I think I'll slice them and try out the steam juicer again. I wonder if
>>> the juice will be pink...
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Bob.
>>
>> Sounds like they may be Dolgo crabapples and will make red juice and
>> jelly.
>> I just went out to one of our Dolgo trees and took a few photos.
>> This one is a clump of apples with a ruler to give you an idea of
>> size. http://tinypic.com/r/slpd0g/3
>> For this one, I pulled down a branch and bit off one side to give you
>> an idea of inside colour, slightly yellowish rather than white.
>> http://tinypic.com/r/2vnrtdg/3
>> We just cut them in half and load the steamer and steam for about 2
>> hours. A picture of the resulting jelly is on alt.binaries.food with
>> the Subject: Crabapple Jelly. Or he http://tinypic.com/r/wakl5u/3
>>
>> Ross.

>I got 2 quart fruit jars and almost a pint jar of thickish cloudy red
>juice. Basically, a full half gallon. I think the viscosity is from
>dissolved pectin. It will clear when I add the sugar.
>
>Do you use added pectin when you make your jelly, or just add sugar and
>boil it? I'm not sure how this steamer juice compares to jellybag juice
>or cold pressed juice. I tried making no-pectin-added peach jelly a few
>years ago because the thickness of the juice fooled me. (It made lovely
>peach syrup. :-) But peaches are a low-pectin fruit, so I should have
>known better.
>
>Bob

The last batch we made (the one in the picture) we used powdered
pectin. All our previous batches we've boiled to 8ºF over the boiling
point of water (218ºF here). Both methods set nicely but, of course,
the added pectin method is quicker.

Ross.

crabapples ellen wickberg Preserving 15 26-11-2004 09:15 PM
Fwd: Crabapples zxcvbob Winemaking 6 15-09-2004 03:14 AM
crabapples zxcvbob Preserving 17 23-08-2004 03:18 PM
Crabapples... Robin Somes Winemaking 3 02-11-2003 11:28 PM
14 lb of crabapples A.J. Rawls Winemaking 9 26-10-2003 11:52 PM