bwesley7

Default Fining out oxidation

I've got a batch of pear wine that is slightly brownish in color. Assuming
this is the result of oxidation, what can I do to remove (or at least,
reduce) the browning? It seems I've read somewhere that some fining agents
will remove the color...

Thanks,

Bart

Ben Rotter

"bwesley7" > wrote:
> I've got a batch of pear wine that is slightly brownish in color. Assuming
> this is the result of oxidation, what can I do to remove (or at least,
> reduce) the browning? It seems I've read somewhere that some fining agents
> will remove the color...

Try casein and/or PVPP. Bench testing is ideal, but roughly I'd say
you'd be looking at ballpark figures of 0.5-1 g/l for the casein and a
few hundred mg/l PVPP if you use it.

HTH,
Ben
Ben Rotter

"bwesley7" > wrote:
> I've got a batch of pear wine that is slightly brownish in color. Assuming
> this is the result of oxidation, what can I do to remove (or at least,
> reduce) the browning? It seems I've read somewhere that some fining agents
> will remove the color...

Try casein and/or PVPP. Bench testing is ideal, but roughly I'd say
you'd be looking at ballpark figures of 0.5-1 g/l for the casein and a
few hundred mg/l PVPP if you use it.

HTH,
Ben
Jack Keller

Bart, see my entry for June 25, 2003 at
http://www.homebrew.com/wine_cellar/wineblog.shtml. Your best bet for
removing oxidation browning is Polyclar Ultra K-100. If you cannot
find that, use Polylact.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/
bwesley7

Jack,

I like Homebrew Adventures (buy from them routinely) and your blog, too.
However, it seems there are entries for 6/28th and 6/16th, but no 6/25th.

Bart

"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
om...
> Bart, see my entry for June 25, 2003 at
> http://www.homebrew.com/wine_cellar/wineblog.shtml. Your best bet for
> removing oxidation browning is Polyclar Ultra K-100. If you cannot
> find that, use Polylact.
>
> Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

bwesley7

Jack,

I like Homebrew Adventures (buy from them routinely) and your blog, too.
However, it seems there are entries for 6/28th and 6/16th, but no 6/25th.

Bart

"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
om...
> Bart, see my entry for June 25, 2003 at
> http://www.homebrew.com/wine_cellar/wineblog.shtml. Your best bet for
> removing oxidation browning is Polyclar Ultra K-100. If you cannot
> find that, use Polylact.
>
> Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

bwesley7

Jack,

I like Homebrew Adventures (buy from them routinely) and your blog, too.
However, I found entries for 6/28th and 6/16th -- no 6/25th(?)
Thanks,

Bart

"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
om...
> Bart, see my entry for June 25, 2003 at
> http://www.homebrew.com/wine_cellar/wineblog.shtml. Your best bet for
> removing oxidation browning is Polyclar Ultra K-100. If you cannot
> find that, use Polylact.
>
> Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Jack Keller

Bart, the devil is in the details. Try again, and this time go to
2003, not 2004....

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

> > Bart, see my entry for June 25, 2003 at
> > http://www.homebrew.com/wine_cellar/wineblog.shtml. Your best bet for
> > removing oxidation browning is Polyclar Ultra K-100. If you cannot
> > find that, use Polylact.
> >
> > Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
> > http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

bwesley7

Oops!... Sorry 'bout that... I found the entry, and ordered a supply of
Polyclar.

Thanks for setting me straight!

Bart

"Jack Keller" > wrote in message
om...
> Bart, the devil is in the details. Try again, and this time go to
> 2003, not 2004....
>
> Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/
>

> > > Bart, see my entry for June 25, 2003 at
> > > http://www.homebrew.com/wine_cellar/wineblog.shtml. Your best bet for
> > > removing oxidation browning is Polyclar Ultra K-100. If you cannot
> > > find that, use Polylact.
> > >
> > > Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
> > > http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

bwesley7

Oxidation problem Paul Winemaking 6 15-10-2008 06:38 PM
Oxidation Dick Adams[_3_] Winemaking 3 23-09-2007 06:29 AM
Oxidation reduction Adam Preble Winemaking 6 27-09-2005 10:37 PM
pH and oxidation Lum Winemaking 1 31-05-2005 01:01 AM
Newbie about oxidation John Winemaking 5 18-12-2003 11:22 PM