bob

Default Strong grapefruit like smell on chardonnay.

Anyone ever experience a strong grapefruit like smell on white
wine????? I thought non-volitile acid was ordorless but it smells like
acid. It doesn't smell like vinegar, hopefully it's not. The wine is
extremely tart and I inhibited MLF. I really don't want to do MLF so
does anyone have any suggestions??? Am I just jumping the gun and all
will be fine ????

Bob
Clyde Gill

> Anyone ever experience a strong grapefruit like smell on white
> wine????? I thought non-volitile acid was ordorless but it smells like
> acid. It doesn't smell like vinegar, hopefully it's not. The wine is
> extremely tart and I inhibited MLF. I really don't want to do MLF so
> does anyone have any suggestions??? Am I just jumping the gun and all
> will be fine ????
>

> Bob

I've never done Chardonnay, but have done my share of Chardonel, a
close cousin. It almost always has grapefruit character in the early
stages, which later develops into the more typical apple/pear
characters of this type of wine. I'd give it time and see how it
develops. Grapefruit aroma is not the worst character a wine can
have.

If the wine is too tart, this is another issue. It could be any of
several factors... quite possibly some in combination. A young wine
will have two acidic qualities working against it:

First, carbon dioxide from the fermentation can remain in solution in
the form of carbonic acid. This not only raises the overall acid (TA)
but also can cause an annoying sensation of fizz on the palate.

Second, if the wine was made from fruit or juice (not concentrate),
there can be excess amounts of tartaric acid present that will drop
out when the wine is chilled, a process called chill proofing or cold
stabilizing. Depending on the wine, this process can lower the acid
level significantly in a young wine.

Other causes can require more drastic measures, but I'd suggest
checking on the above before proceeding any further.

clyde

Steelville, MO, USofA
Tom S

"K.J.Kristiansen" > wrote in message
om...
> You have most probably got oxidation of your wine. "Grapefruit" smell
> is typical of the smell and taste of sherry (try to compare) which is
> an oxidized white wine (among other things).

Not true. Grapefruit character is something I've observed in several of my
Chardonnays during their youth. It goes away with age. Don't worry.

Your bigger problem is "extremely tart". It might have been a mistake to
inhibit ML in this wine. OTOH, if the pH is really low, ML may never have
gone anyway. You may need to address this issue with potassium carbonate if
the wine is too acidic to be enjoyable, but you don't have to do that until
just before cold stabilization. Be sure to do bench trials first.

Tom S

bob

Thanks Tom,Clyde and KJ for the responses. I'm going to keep an eye on
it. Could the grapefruit smell "possibly" be oxidation like KJ said or
is that NOT possible? I know what aceldhyde smells like and it doesn't
smell like that BUT I have only smelled it in red wine. Does it smell
different in white? I just want to do all I can to diagnose this. I've
read that PVPP might help if it is. Does anyone have any experiences
with that stuff???

TIA

Bob

(Clyde Gill) wrote in message . com>...
> > Anyone ever experience a strong grapefruit like smell on white
> > wine????? I thought non-volitile acid was ordorless but it smells like
> > acid. It doesn't smell like vinegar, hopefully it's not. The wine is
> > extremely tart and I inhibited MLF. I really don't want to do MLF so
> > does anyone have any suggestions??? Am I just jumping the gun and all
> > will be fine ????
> >

> > Bob

> I've never done Chardonnay, but have done my share of Chardonel, a
> close cousin. It almost always has grapefruit character in the early
> stages, which later develops into the more typical apple/pear
> characters of this type of wine. I'd give it time and see how it
> develops. Grapefruit aroma is not the worst character a wine can
> have.
>
> If the wine is too tart, this is another issue. It could be any of
> several factors... quite possibly some in combination. A young wine
> will have two acidic qualities working against it:
>
> First, carbon dioxide from the fermentation can remain in solution in
> the form of carbonic acid. This not only raises the overall acid (TA)
> but also can cause an annoying sensation of fizz on the palate.
>
> Second, if the wine was made from fruit or juice (not concentrate),
> there can be excess amounts of tartaric acid present that will drop
> out when the wine is chilled, a process called chill proofing or cold
> stabilizing. Depending on the wine, this process can lower the acid
> level significantly in a young wine.
>
> Other causes can require more drastic measures, but I'd suggest
> checking on the above before proceeding any further.
>
> clyde
>
> Steelville, MO, USofA

Tom S

"bob" > wrote in message
om...
> Thanks Tom,Clyde and KJ for the responses. I'm going to keep an eye on
> it. Could the grapefruit smell "possibly" be oxidation like KJ said or
> is that NOT possible? I know what aceldhyde smells like and it doesn't
> smell like that BUT I have only smelled it in red wine. Does it smell
> different in white? I just want to do all I can to diagnose this. I've
> read that PVPP might help if it is. Does anyone have any experiences
> with that stuff???

Yeah, some. If the wine gets to the point where PVPP is required to
"repair" it, I'd (personally) dump it. That said, I'd say it doesn't sound
to me like that's the case here. Just keep your free SO2 at a normal level
and containers topped up.

When I've noticed grapefruit in my Chardonnay it has always been just after
fermentation and lasted ~2 or 3 months in barrel. It has never persisted
much beyond that. If your wine is on oak chips I'd expect similar. If not,
I'd bet it'll still disappear.

Tom S

bob

Thanks Tom.

Bob

"Tom S" > wrote in message . com>...
> "bob" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Thanks Tom,Clyde and KJ for the responses. I'm going to keep an eye on
> > it. Could the grapefruit smell "possibly" be oxidation like KJ said or
> > is that NOT possible? I know what aceldhyde smells like and it doesn't
> > smell like that BUT I have only smelled it in red wine. Does it smell
> > different in white? I just want to do all I can to diagnose this. I've
> > read that PVPP might help if it is. Does anyone have any experiences
> > with that stuff???

> Yeah, some. If the wine gets to the point where PVPP is required to
> "repair" it, I'd (personally) dump it. That said, I'd say it doesn't sound
> to me like that's the case here. Just keep your free SO2 at a normal level
> and containers topped up.
>
> When I've noticed grapefruit in my Chardonnay it has always been just after
> fermentation and lasted ~2 or 3 months in barrel. It has never persisted
> much beyond that. If your wine is on oak chips I'd expect similar. If not,
> I'd bet it'll still disappear.
>
> Tom S

Glen Duff

Bob,

If the wine has become quite brownish (maderized) it is likely over
oxidized although the real test is in the taste. If it tastes fine just
keep adequate levels of sulfite and make sure it is kept topped up.
Apart from a wine that has become ruined from over-oxidation or becoming
vinegary, I've often been pleasantly surprised by the improvement and
change in a wine that has been properly aged.

Glen Duff
---------------------

bob wrote:

> Thanks Tom.
>

> Bob
>

> "Tom S" > wrote in message . com>...
>
>>"bob" > wrote in message
.com...

>>>Thanks Tom,Clyde and KJ for the responses. I'm going to keep an eye on
>>>it. Could the grapefruit smell "possibly" be oxidation like KJ said or
>>>is that NOT possible? I know what aceldhyde smells like and it doesn't
>>>smell like that BUT I have only smelled it in red wine. Does it smell
>>>different in white? I just want to do all I can to diagnose this. I've
>>>read that PVPP might help if it is. Does anyone have any experiences
>>>with that stuff???
>>>

>>Yeah, some. If the wine gets to the point where PVPP is required to
>>"repair" it, I'd (personally) dump it. That said, I'd say it doesn't sound
>>to me like that's the case here. Just keep your free SO2 at a normal level
>>and containers topped up.
>>
>>When I've noticed grapefruit in my Chardonnay it has always been just after
>>fermentation and lasted ~2 or 3 months in barrel. It has never persisted
>>much beyond that. If your wine is on oak chips I'd expect similar. If not,
>>I'd bet it'll still disappear.
>>
>>Tom S

92.5 and going strong Ellen K. General Cooking 0 20-02-2012 01:16 AM
Very Strong Smell To Make Someone Go Away ImStillMags General Cooking 4 03-12-2011 11:31 PM
Old appliances still going strong....... Peterl. General Cooking 20 26-08-2010 07:34 PM
removing strong smoky smell from microwave Jean B. Cooking Equipment 21 05-09-2006 03:21 AM
Strong Coconut Rum? A B General 8 10-08-2004 11:50 PM