Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Old appliances still going strong.......

http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifest...-along-strike-
a-chord/story-e6frer4f-1225907952460

http://tinyurl.com/26gct23

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool
of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user.
It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies
on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of
resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be
tyrannized."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 20, 7:40*am, "Peterl." >
wrote:
> http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifest...lugging-along-...
> a-chord/story-e6frer4f-1225907952460
>
> http://tinyurl.com/26gct23

The Hamilton clothes dryer my grandparents bought in the early 50s was
still going strong almost a half-century later. One of the first
commercially available models, it only needed a new V-belt every so
often.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2010 1:37 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Aug 20, 7:40 am, >
> wrote:
>> http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifest...lugging-along-...
>> a-chord/story-e6frer4f-1225907952460
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/26gct23
>>

> The Hamilton clothes dryer my grandparents bought in the early 50s was
> still going strong almost a half-century later. One of the first
> commercially available models, it only needed a new V-belt every so
> often.

I had a Hamilton gas dryer that I got in the early 70's and it lasted
until the late 80's when it caught on fire. The belt was a royal PITA
to replace. You had to remove the entire drum to do it.

As a single mom on a tight budget, I did that job myself. It took both
hands and both feet to hold up the drum so that I could get the belt
around it. You just have to picture a 110 pound 5'2" woman doing this
to know why I'm smiling now.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2010 6:13 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 8/20/2010 1:37 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
>> On Aug 20, 7:40 am, >
>> wrote:
>>> http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifest...lugging-along-...
>>> a-chord/story-e6frer4f-1225907952460
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/26gct23
>>>

>> The Hamilton clothes dryer my grandparents bought in the early 50s was
>> still going strong almost a half-century later. One of the first
>> commercially available models, it only needed a new V-belt every so
>> often.

> I had a Hamilton gas dryer that I got in the early 70's and it lasted
> until the late 80's when it caught on fire. The belt was a royal PITA to
> replace. You had to remove the entire drum to do it.
>
> As a single mom on a tight budget, I did that job myself. It took both
> hands and both feet to hold up the drum so that I could get the belt
> around it. You just have to picture a 110 pound 5'2" woman doing this to
> know why I'm smiling now.

I can beat that Janet. We had a Frigidaire electric dryer that had
teflon bushings that the front lip of the drum rode on. They got worn
down after about ten years so I took the cover off the machine, did some
measurements, cut some pieces of solid teflon off a chunk I got at work,
superglued them in place, and, inadvertently, glued the damned drum to
the knee that was holding it in place. It sure took some skin off
getting it off though. The dryer held up until we moved in 1979 down to
South Texas. The washer and dryer were purchased in April, 1965 for our
first ever house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:13:40 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>I had a Hamilton gas dryer that I got in the early 70's and it lasted
>until the late 80's when it caught on fire.

Whata "sterling" testimony to the reliability!

I'd go with that!

Had a Whirlpool refrigerator that began malfunctioning. Called the
Service Center here in Knoxville....they told me that I should buy a
new one since that didn't make anything that should of/could of lasted
that long.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peterl." > wrote in message >

In fact, it is the only means of
> resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be
> tyrannized."
>
> -Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Ever heard of Generalissimo Franco?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Not food related, but a year ago or so I picked up a 1956 Hammond
model M3 tonewheel organ. If y'all want pics i've got em, but I'm
here to tell you that it's as beautiful to look at and listen to today
as it was before Sputnik ever cast its menacing shadow across the
U.S.

I fired her up yesterday and played stuff that my girlfriend refers to
as "funeral music". It's great!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 8/20/2010 6:13 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 8/20/2010 1:37 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:

>>> The Hamilton clothes dryer my grandparents bought in the early 50s was
>>> still going strong almost a half-century later. One of the first
>>> commercially available models, it only needed a new V-belt every so
>>> often.

>> I had a Hamilton gas dryer that I got in the early 70's and it lasted
>> until the late 80's when it caught on fire. The belt was a royal PITA to
>> replace. You had to remove the entire drum to do it.
>>
>> As a single mom on a tight budget, I did that job myself. It took both
>> hands and both feet to hold up the drum so that I could get the belt
>> around it. You just have to picture a 110 pound 5'2" woman doing this to
>> know why I'm smiling now.
>>

> I can beat that Janet. We had a Frigidaire electric dryer that had teflon
> bushings that the front lip of the drum rode on. They got worn down after
> about ten years so I took the cover off the machine, did some
> measurements, cut some pieces of solid teflon off a chunk I got at work,
> superglued them in place, and, inadvertently, glued the damned drum to the
> knee that was holding it in place. It sure took some skin off getting it
> off though. The dryer held up until we moved in 1979 down to South Texas.
> The washer and dryer were purchased in April, 1965 for our first ever
> house.

Wonderful The oldest appliance I know about, was the food mixer I gave my
friend as a wedding present. Her 41 year anniversary is coming up soon
Since she doesn't cook as much as she used to, she has given it to her
daughter who is still using it

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
j h j h is offline

My 1937 Estate gas range came with the house and is terrific. It has an
extra large fifth burner in the middle, perfect for canners or the wok.
A 1932 monitor top GE frig also came with the house and I used it until
I was flush enough to buy a new GE that lasted a mere 7 years. The
monitor was taken by my son for overflow and still works great.

Another treasure is my Montgomery Ward 4 qt. pressure cooker that has
been in frequent use for about 60 years. Much of my kitchen equipment is
decades old and indispensable. Oh yes, a Wagner and 2 Griswold cast iron
skillets will be turning out great food forever. They should be in my
will. jan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-08-21, Mr Bill > wrote:

> I'd go with that!
>
> Had a Whirlpool refrigerator that began malfunctioning. Called the
> Service Center here in Knoxville....they told me that I should buy a
> new one since that didn't make anything that should of/could of lasted
> that long.

A bald faced lie!

There were a whole generation of GEs that last forever and are still
running. When I moved, mine was still working and I knew of 3 others
(some were rebranded, maybe even under whirlpool) that also were still
operating and being used. These were all made in mid/late 60s and
still going strong as recently as 3 yrs ago. That's almost half a
century! Sure, they had failures in circulating fans, defrost timers,
etc, but those are easy fixes. The rifrigeration circuit was damn
near indistructable on these things. Yer service center was jes
trying to make a sale.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Billy wrote:

> they told me that I should buy a new one since that didn't make anything
> that should of/could of lasted that long.

I see those night classes in English are really starting to pay off.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 23, 11:18*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Billy wrote:
> > they told me that I should buy a new one since that didn't make anything
> > that should of/could of lasted that long.

> I see those night classes in English are really starting to pay off.
>
> Bob

I almost posted something similar :P

-J
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Billy wrote:
> > they told me that I should buy a new one since that didn't make anything
> > that should of/could of lasted that long.

> I see those night classes in English are really starting to pay off.
>
> Bob

I almost posted something similar :P

----------------
I would've if I'd seen it sooner!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 21, 9:59*pm, phaeton > wrote:
> Not food related, but a year ago or so I picked up a 1956 Hammond
> model M3 tonewheel organ. *If y'all want pics i've got em, but I'm
> here to tell you that it's as beautiful to look at and listen to today
> as it was before Sputnik ever cast its menacing shadow across the
> U.S.
>
> I fired her up yesterday and played stuff that my girlfriend refers to
> as "funeral music". *It's great!

When we were kids, my dad brought one home with a Leslie speaker.
Sounded really fabulous when the speaker got going. It also came with
a chikaboom machine that was fully five feet tall.

(The backstory: The wife of a friend of my dad's ran off with her
chiropractor. She had worked weekends as a lounge act -- the organ,
the Leslie, and the rhythm machine -- but had abandoned her career for
her true love. My dad's friend wanted all that junk out of his living
room.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 23, 9:18*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> Billy wrote:
> > they told me that I should buy a new one since that didn't make anything
> > that should of/could of lasted that long.

> I see those night classes in English are really starting to pay off.
>
> Bob

You coulda told him where he went wrong.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
j h j h is offline

Default Old appliances still going strong.......(Barb)

Cornell Cooperative Extension uses the Minnesota "Yellow Pie Plate"
materials, though sadly I can't make the next offering. Yes, I was
executor for Mom and dealt with the house full of possessions and
memories. My two sisters and I each made successive lists of the 4 most
important things we would like without respect to dollar value - we went
eight rounds before we had a duplication, which was easily resolved. And
we chose keepsakes together for aunts and dear friends. Each grandkid
chose something meaningful to them, again without duplication. A family
of varied interests and much sensitivity. But I'm glad I didn't have to
deal with my mother-in-law's estate. The infighting was sad. I follow my
Mom's lead and do a lot of sharing of stuff now so it can be enjoyed
even sooner (and get to the right person). jan

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamtrap1888 View Post
[...]

Had an old blender just die on me. Cool chrome base with real glass.

I have nice retro stereo equipment. 1968 Klipsch Heresy speakers, 1972 Marantz integrated amp among others. My favorite old appliance is this little Polar Cub fan. I miss metal fans. Even in the 70's you'd gte box fans with metal blades. Just move air better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gorio" > wrote in message

My favorite old appliance is this
> little Polar Cub fan. I miss metal fans. Even in the 70's you'd gte box
> fans with metal blades. Just move air better.

You can buy fans now with no blade at all

http://www.dyson.co.uk/store/fans.as...ign=Desk_F an

or

http://tinyurl.com/3yejfhy

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:45:09 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888 wrote:

> On Aug 21, 9:59*pm, phaeton > wrote:
>> Not food related, but a year ago or so I picked up a 1956 Hammond
>> model M3 tonewheel organ. *If y'all want pics i've got em, but I'm
>> here to tell you that it's as beautiful to look at and listen to today
>> as it was before Sputnik ever cast its menacing shadow across the
>> U.S.
>>
>> I fired her up yesterday and played stuff that my girlfriend refers to
>> as "funeral music". *It's great!

> When we were kids, my dad brought one home with a Leslie speaker.
> Sounded really fabulous when the speaker got going. It also came with
> a chikaboom machine that was fully five feet tall.
>
> (The backstory: The wife of a friend of my dad's ran off with her
> chiropractor. She had worked weekends as a lounge act -- the organ,
> the Leslie, and the rhythm machine -- but had abandoned her career for
> her true love. My dad's friend wanted all that junk out of his living
> room.)

the leslie speaker is an interesting device, for sure. the romance of
physics.

your pal,
blake