Steven

Default Question: Primary Fermentation Help

I started my first batch of wine this past Sunday. The first day or two of
primary fermentation gave off a pleasant smell I describe as grape juice.
Around day three the pleasant smell has turn to a more chemically smell that
kind of stinks. Is this normal or has something gone wrong?

Steven

Tom S

"Steven" > wrote in message
> I started my first batch of wine this past Sunday. The first day or two

of
> primary fermentation gave off a pleasant smell I describe as grape juice.
> Around day three the pleasant smell has turn to a more chemically smell

that
> kind of stinks. Is this normal or has something gone wrong?

Sounds like hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell).

Adding yeast nutrient or diammonium phosphate and some stirring might fix
that if it's still fermenting. Check with your local homebrew shop -
PRONTO! This is a lot easier to fix if you do so ASAP.

Tom S

Ray

If it smells of rotten eggs then do as below. If the smell is otherwise, it
might help if you let us know what you are making and what the recipe is.
Some wines smell great while making, others may not smell so good. Then
some first timers think a normal smell is bad because they don't expect it.
After making a few batches, the same smell may smell good as you associate
it with the end product.

Ray

"Tom S" > wrote in message
om...

> "Steven" > wrote in message
> > I started my first batch of wine this past Sunday. The first day or two

> of
> > primary fermentation gave off a pleasant smell I describe as grape

juice.
> > Around day three the pleasant smell has turn to a more chemically smell

> that
> > kind of stinks. Is this normal or has something gone wrong?

> Sounds like hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell).
>
> Adding yeast nutrient or diammonium phosphate and some stirring might fix
> that if it's still fermenting. Check with your local homebrew shop -
> PRONTO! This is a lot easier to fix if you do so ASAP.
>
> Tom S

Steven

I am making a Red Zin (28 day kit) from Vino Del Vida. It definitely is not
a rotten egg smell.

Steven
"Ray" > wrote in message
. ..
> If it smells of rotten eggs then do as below. If the smell is otherwise,

it
> might help if you let us know what you are making and what the recipe is.
> Some wines smell great while making, others may not smell so good. Then
> some first timers think a normal smell is bad because they don't expect

it.
> After making a few batches, the same smell may smell good as you associate
> it with the end product.
>
> Ray
>
> "Tom S" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > "Steven" > wrote in message
> > > I started my first batch of wine this past Sunday. The first day or

two
> > of
> > > primary fermentation gave off a pleasant smell I describe as grape

> juice.
> > > Around day three the pleasant smell has turn to a more chemically

smell
> > that
> > > kind of stinks. Is this normal or has something gone wrong?

> > Sounds like hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell).
> >
> > Adding yeast nutrient or diammonium phosphate and some stirring might

fix
> > that if it's still fermenting. Check with your local homebrew shop -
> > PRONTO! This is a lot easier to fix if you do so ASAP.
> >
> > Tom S

Ray

I have not made that kit but I would not assume it is a fault in the wine.
Since you are a novice, if you can find a wine maker with experience, let
him smell it. If you have access to a wine making shop, draw off a split.
tightly cover it with two layers of plastic wrap with a rubber band and take
it in to them to smell. You can then take it back home and add it back in
to the batch. If none of this is possible, then just let it go to
completion. Most likely it will work itself out. For all we worry, wine
making is a very forgiving hobby. That said, I have had one kit that
smelled bad when I started it and it smelled bad 9 months later. It does
happen. But that is one out of many.

Ray

"Steven" > wrote in message
> I am making a Red Zin (28 day kit) from Vino Del Vida. It definitely is

not
> a rotten egg smell.
>
> Steven
> "Ray" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > If it smells of rotten eggs then do as below. If the smell is

otherwise,
> it
> > might help if you let us know what you are making and what the recipe

is.
> > Some wines smell great while making, others may not smell so good. Then
> > some first timers think a normal smell is bad because they don't expect

> it.
> > After making a few batches, the same smell may smell good as you

associate
> > it with the end product.
> >
> > Ray
> >
> > "Tom S" > wrote in message
> > om...

> two
> > > of

> > juice.

> smell
> > > that
> > >
> > > Sounds like hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell).
> > >
> > > Adding yeast nutrient or diammonium phosphate and some stirring might

> fix
> > > that if it's still fermenting. Check with your local homebrew shop -
> > > PRONTO! This is a lot easier to fix if you do so ASAP.
> > >
> > > Tom S

Patrick McDonald

Have you smelled a fermenting wine before? It's a distinctive smell that you
_might_ say is "chemical-ly". I've also made some country wines that smell
just terrible while fermenting. I dunno -- if it's not H2S, maybe just wait
it out and see if it subsides after a few days.