Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Primary size and fermentation

Is the length of time to see meaningful fermentation have a correlation to
primary size? I am doing my first 10-gallon batch. I pitched the yeast on
Tuesday and again 24 hours later, and am just now beginning to see any life
to the must. My one-gallon batches usually see vigorous fermentation the
same day I pitch the yeast.

Quixote

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Quixote" > wrote in message
> Is the length of time to see meaningful fermentation have a correlation to
> primary size? I am doing my first 10-gallon batch. I pitched the yeast
> on Tuesday and again 24 hours later, and am just now beginning to see any
> life to the must. My one-gallon batches usually see vigorous fermentation
> the same day I pitch the yeast.
>
> Quixote

Guess no one does 10-gallon primaries? Anyway, it did finally start, and
start with a vengeance. Sure made me nervous waiting 3 days for
fermentation to start showing. Thought I was going to have to dump it and
spend another 6-hour day picking grapes.

Quixote

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Dump it? Unless it smells of vinegar and you hate vinegar I can't
think of a reason to ever dump must.

I think what you saw was 'propagation delay' the yeast multiply at a
rate based on many factors such as strain, temp, nutrient
availability, oxygen, sugar. It would definitely take longer (all
things being equal) for a 10 gallon batch to show visible signs of
fermentation versus a 1 gallon batch. Pitching rate is rarely
descussed here because most people on the group are making batches
smaller than 6 gallons. That affects this too. A good rule of thumb
is pitch 1 gram of dry yeast per gallon.

Joe

> Guess no one does 10-gallon primaries? Anyway, it did finally start, and
> start with a vengeance. Sure made me nervous waiting 3 days for
> fermentation to start showing. Thought I was going to have to dump it and
> spend another 6-hour day picking grapes.
>
> Quixote

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Frankly, seems wasteful ($) to me to buy multiple packets of yeast
when it's the easiest thing in the world to get a starter going and
then expand it accordingly - ending up with a culture sufficient for
whatever size batch you've got.

--
I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 50 days.
You should really try it!

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks Joe. I had begun to wonder, but I was not seeing any telltale tiny
bubbles or miniscule amount of foam, even when stirred. What I did for the
second pitching of yeast, which in retrospect was probably unnecessary, was
to create quite a large starter that had must added in several aliquots to
acclimate the yeast. Still the behavior was certainly not what I was used
to seeing and had me worried. About the dumping, I realize I had a few more
days to try to get the must fermenting, but was beginning to wonder if
something had happened to make it unamenable to fermentation. Thanks for
the replies...

Quixote