Default Extened Primary Fermentation?

Hello,
I am new to wine making, but have been reading this newgroup and Jack's
web site for a month or so now. I just started a kit last week to get an
idea about how things work, but got un-expectly pulled away from home for
an extra 2 days. I started the primary fermentation in the big bucket on
Friday the 25th, and was expecting to rack to the carboy on the 2nd (7
days) like the instructions said..... but I did not get to racking into
the carboy till last night (the 4th) so it was in the bucket for 2 extra
days. Will that do anything bad to the wine? Or should I be OK?

Thanks!
~Brian
Stephen SG

No problem carry on as if you had followed the recipe correctly.
Stephen SG.

> wrote in message news:2EfGc.29365$WB5.10120@pd7tw2no...
| Hello,
| I am new to wine making, but have been reading this newgroup and Jack's
| web site for a month or so now. I just started a kit last week to get an
| idea about how things work, but got un-expectly pulled away from home for
| an extra 2 days. I started the primary fermentation in the big bucket on
| Friday the 25th, and was expecting to rack to the carboy on the 2nd (7
| days) like the instructions said..... but I did not get to racking into
| the carboy till last night (the 4th) so it was in the bucket for 2 extra
| days. Will that do anything bad to the wine? Or should I be OK?
|
| Thanks!
| ~Brian

Ray

We all piddle with our wine and do lots of things to it, but winemaking is a
very forgiving hobby. Don't get too caught up with timetables and
processes. They are just guidelines. Of course, experience is what tells
you what you can get lax with and a new wine maker is going to worry. That
is what the group is for. ;o)

Ray

"Stephen SG" > wrote in message
> No problem carry on as if you had followed the recipe correctly.
> Stephen SG.
>
> > wrote in message news:2EfGc.29365$WB5.10120@pd7tw2no...
> | Hello,
> | I am new to wine making, but have been reading this newgroup and Jack's
> | web site for a month or so now. I just started a kit last week to get

an
> | idea about how things work, but got un-expectly pulled away from home

for
> | an extra 2 days. I started the primary fermentation in the big bucket

on
> | Friday the 25th, and was expecting to rack to the carboy on the 2nd (7
> | days) like the instructions said..... but I did not get to racking into
> | the carboy till last night (the 4th) so it was in the bucket for 2 extra
> | days. Will that do anything bad to the wine? Or should I be OK?
> |
> | Thanks!
> | ~Brian

Thanks for the replys!

Good
It all looks OK, the top 1/4 of the carboy is starting to clear up
a bit... I think it fermented more then it should have, if I did
the measuring right I ended up with a SG of 0.992 and at this
point I have not seen any bubbles out of the air lock... I know time is
good for the rest of the process, just not sure how good it was for the
first bit sitting open and all. It still had a little bit of foam on the
top so I guess it was not that open to air.

So now it's just waiting for it to clear for another 15 days then add the
rest of the numbered packets.

Next step is going to be blackberry wine I think, going all out from
scratch!

Thanks for the help, it's been a quick learning curve, but I think I am
getting the hang of it...

~Brian

in rec.crafts.winemaking,