Tim McNally

Default Extended primary fermentation

I have no special equipment to extend primary fermentation beyond the
initial fermentation cycle. However, I do have 240# of frozen
chambourcin grapes. My favorite wine has been a blend of 40% cab
franc, 30% cab, and 30% chambourcin. I thought I could hold my
chambourcin back, then add it in stages. I could extend the
fermentation quite a while. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Tim
Tom S

"Tim McNally" > wrote in message
om...
> I have no special equipment to extend primary fermentation beyond the
> initial fermentation cycle. However, I do have 240# of frozen
> chambourcin grapes. My favorite wine has been a blend of 40% cab
> franc, 30% cab, and 30% chambourcin. I thought I could hold my
> chambourcin back, then add it in stages. I could extend the
> fermentation quite a while. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

That'll work. As long as you can keep the fermentation going strong the
wine is protected by the CO2 being evolved. Be on the alert for off odors
though. I'd recommend spritzing the surface of the must lightly with
sulfite solution toward the end of fermentation and wiping down the sides of
the fermenter above the wine before covering.

Tom S

Tom S