LG1111

Default pace of MLF?

When you conduct a healthy MLF, is there a predictable "pace"? That is, does
it start slow, build up to a faster pace, then slowly decrease? I have a
couple of batches that have questionably high acidities (pH's in the 3.2
range), and they're going VERY slowly 1 week after innoculation. I've used
some Leucofood, and I've put the carboys in a warmer location, and that seems
to help a little bit. But the last 2 MLFs that I did previously went like
gangbusters for 1-2 months.

At the current rate for these new batches, it'll take months and months for
completion. Any ideas?

Lee
Tom S

"LG1111" > wrote in message
> When you conduct a healthy MLF, is there a predictable "pace"? That is,

does
> it start slow, build up to a faster pace, then slowly decrease? I have a
> couple of batches that have questionably high acidities (pH's in the 3.2
> range), and they're going VERY slowly 1 week after innoculation. I've

used
> some Leucofood, and I've put the carboys in a warmer location, and that

seems
> to help a little bit. But the last 2 MLFs that I did previously went like
> gangbusters for 1-2 months.
>
> At the current rate for these new batches, it'll take months and months

for
> completion. Any ideas?

Are you in a big hurry? :^)

The pace may pick up after the pH rises a bit and the population grows.
That's pretty low pH to begin with though, so it may never go to completion.

Tom S