hahabogus

Default A change of pace to salad

This reminds me of the dish of vinegary cuke and onions my mother used to
put on the table in my youth. I read the 8 envelopes as 8 tsp of sugar
substitute. I also added way more onions and a some carrot than called for
below. I sliced everything thin with a v-slicer

Pickled Diakon Radish Salad

1 cup water
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons white vinegar
8 envelopes sugar substitute
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp salt
1 medium cucumber peeled and sliced
2 cups diakon peeled and sliced
2 tablespoon yellow onion chopped

Mix water, vinegar,sugar sub, crushed red pepper, salt togetherin a medium
bowl. add the veggies and marinate 15 minutes. Drain and serve.

2 servings
one serving 34 calories, 1 g protien, 9 g carbs, 0 g fat, 0 cholesterol,
276 mg sodium, 1 g fiber

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom
Jennifer

Was the original recipe 8 tsp of sugar?

Because a packet of AS (artificial sweetener) sweetens like 2 tsps of sugar.

So 8 tsp of sugar would mean 4 packets of AS.

You may have put too much sweetener in your recipe.

Jennifer

hahabogus wrote:

> This reminds me of the dish of vinegary cuke and onions my mother used to
> put on the table in my youth. I read the 8 envelopes as 8 tsp of sugar
> substitute. I also added way more onions and a some carrot than called for
> below. I sliced everything thin with a v-slicer
>

> Pickled Diakon Radish Salad
>
> 1 cup water
> 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons white vinegar
> 8 envelopes sugar substitute
> 1 tsp crushed red pepper
> 1 tsp salt
> 1 medium cucumber peeled and sliced
> 2 cups diakon peeled and sliced
> 2 tablespoon yellow onion chopped
>
> Mix water, vinegar,sugar sub, crushed red pepper, salt togetherin a medium
> bowl. add the veggies and marinate 15 minutes. Drain and serve.
>
> 2 servings
> one serving 34 calories, 1 g protien, 9 g carbs, 0 g fat, 0 cholesterol,
> 276 mg sodium, 1 g fiber

hahabogus

Jennifer > wrote in
:

> Was the original recipe 8 tsp of sugar?
>
> Because a packet of AS (artificial sweetener) sweetens like 2 tsps of
> sugar.
>
> So 8 tsp of sugar would mean 4 packets of AS.
>
> You may have put too much sweetener in your recipe.
>
> Jennifer
>
> hahabogus wrote:
>
>> This reminds me of the dish of vinegary cuke and onions my mother
>> used to put on the table in my youth. I read the 8 envelopes as 8 tsp
>> of sugar substitute. I also added way more onions and a some carrot
>> than called for below. I sliced everything thin with a v-slicer
>>

>> Pickled Diakon Radish Salad
>>
>> 1 cup water
>> 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons white vinegar
>> 8 envelopes sugar substitute
>> 1 tsp crushed red pepper
>> 1 tsp salt
>> 1 medium cucumber peeled and sliced
>> 2 cups diakon peeled and sliced
>> 2 tablespoon yellow onion chopped
>>
>> Mix water, vinegar,sugar sub, crushed red pepper, salt togetherin a
>> medium bowl. add the veggies and marinate 15 minutes. Drain and
>> serve.
>>
>> 2 servings
>> one serving 34 calories, 1 g protien, 9 g carbs, 0 g fat, 0
>> cholesterol, 276 mg sodium, 1 g fiber

But I used 4 pkgs of sugar twin in my go at this recipe...The cookbook
suggest splenda which is 1 pkg equals 1 tsp. I didn't modify the recipe in
any way. I noted my changes in the intro...this is mis-communications at it
best. Actually 3-3.5 pkgs might be better (of sugar twin). I found it a tad
too sweet for my likes. YMMV

--
Last year's nuts must go.
- Michael Odom