Old 04-01-2004, 12:28 AM
Tom S

Default pace of MLF?

"LG1111" wrote in message
When you conduct a healthy MLF, is there a predictable "pace"? That is,

does
it start slow, build up to a faster pace, then slowly decrease? I have a
couple of batches that have questionably high acidities (pH's in the 3.2
range), and they're going VERY slowly 1 week after innoculation. I've

used
some Leucofood, and I've put the carboys in a warmer location, and that

seems
to help a little bit. But the last 2 MLFs that I did previously went like
gangbusters for 1-2 months.

At the current rate for these new batches, it'll take months and months

for
completion. Any ideas?

Are you in a big hurry? :^)

The pace may pick up after the pH rises a bit and the population grows.
That's pretty low pH to begin with though, so it may never go to completion.

Tom S