LG1111

Default ? about cool fermentations

For the first time, I'm fermenting several whites at a controlled cool temp of
55 degrees F. Obviously, the fermentation is much slower than it would be at
room temperature. But how much slower? How long might I expect the primary
fermentation to take? One batch is well over 3 weeks old, and at this rate, I
can expect the fermentation to take 2 months. Is this anything to worry about?
I'm tempted to just move the carboys into room temp.

Lee
Don S

> I'm tempted to just move the carboys into room temp.

Lee,
Do some searches on cool fermentations and I think it'll
cure your desire to move them to room temperatures. It might
take an extra few weeks or a couple of months but time should
be put aside when making wine. I have wine still sitting in
carboys from last christmas.

I've only done kits but the best white I've made was a Kendall
Ridge Showcase Chardonnay that was cool fermented and it
spent 6+ months in a carboy. I'm not sure that it had to take
that long but I just let it ferment out, stabilized it, racked
it a few times and then kept it topped up in a cool location
and basically "forgot" about it.

Don
Glen Duff

Lee,

I routinely ferment my wines at cool temperatures partly as a result of
our geography and my basement winery and partly by design. We are
located near Toronto, Ontario and depending on the outside temperature
and the timing of the vintage, our basement temperature is somewhere
around 60 F or even a little lower during fermentation. I am convinced
the nose and fruitiness of the finished wine is preserved, particularly
with aromatic styles like Gewurztraminer and Riesling.

I have a small batch of Gewurz that is still fermenting and was started
about five weeks ago. One problem of course is knowing when/if the
malo-lactic fermentation is going and the alcoholic fermentation has
ceased although the SG reading is helpful. At the same time my Riesling
and other whites are cold stabilizing on an unheated porch which ranges
from 25 to 40 F or more depending on outside conditions.

Cheers,

Glen Duff