Tom

Default Popped an airlock, ramifications?

Found last night that a carboy of Reisling well past the secondary lost its
airlock. Don't know if it was the kids, the dog or what. Potential time
exposed is 1 day to worse case 6 days. (The last racking.) Carboy was
topped off well into the neck. I immediately inspected, no visable
contamination of bugs or junk. Hit with a dose of SO2 and capped it.

Can I do anything else?

Tom

Robert Lee

If you've got access to Nitrogen gas you could give it a sparge for a few
minutes, this will push any remaining O2 out of the wine.

Watch your SO2 over the next week, it takes time for the O2 to be scavenged
and your free SO2 will drop while this goes on

Rob L
"Tom" > wrote in message
> Found last night that a carboy of Reisling well past the secondary lost

its
> airlock. Don't know if it was the kids, the dog or what. Potential time
> exposed is 1 day to worse case 6 days. (The last racking.) Carboy was
> topped off well into the neck. I immediately inspected, no visable
> contamination of bugs or junk. Hit with a dose of SO2 and capped it.
>
> Can I do anything else?
>
> Tom

Ray

I think any of us who have made much wine have had this happen. I have
several times. I always worry about it but I cannot say that it has ruined
any of the batches it has happened to. Well except for the batch that I let
the air lock dry out for a couple of years. But I turned that one into
sherry.

Ray

"Tom" > wrote in message
> Found last night that a carboy of Reisling well past the secondary lost

its
> airlock. Don't know if it was the kids, the dog or what. Potential time
> exposed is 1 day to worse case 6 days. (The last racking.) Carboy was
> topped off well into the neck. I immediately inspected, no visable
> contamination of bugs or junk. Hit with a dose of SO2 and capped it.
>
> Can I do anything else?
>
> Tom

Tom S

"Tom" > wrote in message
> Found last night that a carboy of Reisling well past the secondary lost

its
> airlock. Don't know if it was the kids, the dog or what. Potential time
> exposed is 1 day to worse case 6 days. (The last racking.) Carboy was
> topped off well into the neck. I immediately inspected, no visable
> contamination of bugs or junk. Hit with a dose of SO2 and capped it.
>
> Can I do anything else?

Don't worry about it. If there was nothing growing on it and it isn't fruit
fly heaven there's probably no damage done - especially if the wine is high
into the neck of the carboy.

Tom S

How to separate un popped corn from seasoning Metspitzer General Cooking 16 12-08-2013 07:01 PM
ring popped off dave Preserving 2 19-07-2012 01:45 PM
I popped the sorghum! Julie Bove Diabetic 5 19-03-2010 09:21 AM
Carb count for popped sorghum Julie Bove Diabetic 11 08-02-2010 05:03 AM
Nick Z's Popped Rice with Shrimp Duckie ® Recipes 0 06-06-2004 02:36 PM