Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to separate un popped corn from seasoning

I pop corn in a paper bag so I can make it more low calorie. If I
leave the corn in the microwave for too long it burns, so I end up
with lots of un popped corn.

I then pour the corn in a plastic bowl and use this seasoning:
https://www.kernelseasons.com/

Because there is no oil, I end up with lots of seasoning at the
bottom.

Anyone have a clever way to separate the seasoning from the un popped
corn?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Metspitzer" > wrote in message
>I pop corn in a paper bag so I can make it more low calorie. If I
> leave the corn in the microwave for too long it burns, so I end up
> with lots of un popped corn.
>
> I then pour the corn in a plastic bowl and use this seasoning:
> https://www.kernelseasons.com/
>
> Because there is no oil, I end up with lots of seasoning at the
> bottom.
>
> Anyone have a clever way to separate the seasoning from the un popped
> corn?

I would use something like this:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore...r_or_wine.aspx

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 7/28/2013 1:35 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
> I pop corn in a paper bag so I can make it more low calorie. If I
> leave the corn in the microwave for too long it burns, so I end up
> with lots of un popped corn.
>
> I then pour the corn in a plastic bowl and use this seasoning:
> https://www.kernelseasons.com/
>
> Because there is no oil, I end up with lots of seasoning at the
> bottom.
>
> Anyone have a clever way to separate the seasoning from the un popped
> corn?

Perhaps you might like to try one of these 'sifters'/sieves:

http://www.gemplers.com/product/WEB1...s-Steel-Sieves

or

http://tinyurl.com/mcddrrm

Just specify the necessary size/microns that is the average for the
unpopped corn kernels. HTH.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 2:35:37 PM UTC-4, Metspitzer wrote:
> I pop corn in a paper bag so I can make it more low calorie. If I
>
> leave the corn in the microwave for too long it burns, so I end up
>
> with lots of un popped corn.
>

> I then pour the corn in a plastic bowl and use this seasoning:
>
> https://www.kernelseasons.com/
>

> Because there is no oil, I end up with lots of seasoning at the
>
> bottom.
>

> Anyone have a clever way to separate the seasoning from the un popped
>

> corn?

What's left? Two cents worth of seasoning?

If you must try, use a sieve, but is it worth the time?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 14:35:37 -0400, Metspitzer wrote:
>
> > I pop corn in a paper bag so I can make it more low calorie. If I
> > leave the corn in the microwave for too long it burns, so I end up
> > with lots of un popped corn.
> >
> > I then pour the corn in a plastic bowl and use this seasoning:
> > https://www.kernelseasons.com/
> >
> > Because there is no oil, I end up with lots of seasoning at the
> > bottom.
> >
> > Anyone have a clever way to separate the seasoning from the un
> > popped corn?

> The same way you deseeded cheap 70's weed - credit card and a frisbee.

Or matchbook cover and a Hot Tuna album. Who had a credit card?

Never even took a puff of a cigarette myself but I watched it done.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> The same way you deseeded cheap 70's weed - credit card and a frisbee.
>
> -sw

You ****ing ignorant stoner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIN8MmMloZE

"You know I been smokin' all a my life and I ain't dead yet"

http://www.yelp.com/user_details?use...qvcdFuU1dR8bgA

Steve "Rockin the Boat" W.'s Profile

Location
Austin, TX

Most Recent Discovery
I'm getting older

I went in to buy cigarettes as I do twice a week for the last 6 months
and was given "short" cigarettes instead of the longer 100's style. I
was halfway out the door when I realized the mistake. The door hadn't
even had time to close behind me when I went back in to get the right
cigarettes. Had to wait behind a few other people at the cash
register but when I got there he said they have a policy that once you
leave the store you cannot return or exchange anything. I told him
the door never even closed behind me so technically I never left the
store. And more importantly you gave me the wrong cigarettes. It was
a simple exchange.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Of course a fine wish mesh sieve would be the more obvious
> kitchen-oriented solution.
>
> -sw

Will it catch all yer mayo?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 16:55:44 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Sunday, July 28, 2013 2:35:37 PM UTC-4, Metspitzer wrote:
>> I pop corn in a paper bag so I can make it more low calorie. If I
>>
>> leave the corn in the microwave for too long it burns, so I end up
>>
>> with lots of un popped corn.
>>

>> I then pour the corn in a plastic bowl and use this seasoning:
>>
>> https://www.kernelseasons.com/
>>

>> Because there is no oil, I end up with lots of seasoning at the
>>
>> bottom.
>>

>> Anyone have a clever way to separate the seasoning from the un popped
>>

>> corn?

> What's left? Two cents worth of seasoning?
>
>If you must try, use a sieve, but is it worth the time?

Since there's no oil to go rancid I'd suggest that after eating the
popcorn leave the bowl with the remaining seasoning without cleaning
to use for the next batch. The unpopped kernals are easy to pick out
with a spoon. I don't have that problem, I use a hot air popper, the
popped kernals are blown out into a bowl... very few kernals don't
pop, the few unpopped kernals remain in the popper... easily dumped
out, into the bird seed. What's with all that line spacing?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Metspitzer wrote:
> I pop corn in a paper bag so I can make it more low calorie. If I
> leave the corn in the microwave for too long it burns, so I end up
> with lots of un popped corn.
>
> I then pour the corn in a plastic bowl and use this seasoning:
> https://www.kernelseasons.com/
>
> Because there is no oil, I end up with lots of seasoning at the
> bottom.
>
> Anyone have a clever way to separate the seasoning from the un popped
> corn?

You should first put your popcorn in a colander with holes that are large
enough to allow the unpopped kernels to go through. That will get rid of
the unpopped kernels. Better still, buy good, fresh popcorn so you won't
have many unpopped ones.

As for the seasoning, it just won't stick if you don't use any oil on the
corn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Metspitzer wrote:
> I pop corn in a paper bag so I can make it more low calorie. If I
> leave the corn in the microwave for too long it burns, so I end up
> with lots of un popped corn.
>
> I then pour the corn in a plastic bowl and use this seasoning:
> https://www.kernelseasons.com/
>
> Because there is no oil, I end up with lots of seasoning at the
> bottom.
>
> Anyone have a clever way to separate the seasoning from the un popped
> corn?

I'd consider a $40 air popcorn popper.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2013 12:21 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
> Metspitzer wrote:
>> I pop corn in a paper bag so I can make it more low calorie. If I
>> leave the corn in the microwave for too long it burns, so I end up
>> with lots of un popped corn.
>>
>> I then pour the corn in a plastic bowl and use this seasoning:
>> https://www.kernelseasons.com/
>>
>> Because there is no oil, I end up with lots of seasoning at the
>> bottom.
>>
>> Anyone have a clever way to separate the seasoning from the un popped
>> corn?

> I'd consider a $40 air popcorn popper.
>
> -S-

And don't sprinkle so much seasoning on it after it is popped.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 22:08:33 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 7/29/2013 12:21 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
> > Metspitzer wrote:
> >> I pop corn in a paper bag so I can make it more low calorie. If I
> >> leave the corn in the microwave for too long it burns, so I end up
> >> with lots of un popped corn.
> >>
> >> I then pour the corn in a plastic bowl and use this seasoning:
> >> https://www.kernelseasons.com/
> >>
> >> Because there is no oil, I end up with lots of seasoning at the
> >> bottom.
> >>
> >> Anyone have a clever way to separate the seasoning from the un popped
> >> corn?

> > I'd consider a $40 air popcorn popper.
> >
> > -S-
> >

> And don't sprinkle so much seasoning on it after it is popped.

LOLOL! That seems like a no brainer, but apparently it's not. I
liken it to people drowning salad in dressing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> LOLOL! That seems like a no brainer, but apparently it's not. I
> liken it to people drowning salad in dressing.

It's just stupid IMO to try to season popcorn that is popped that way. It's
almost akin to air popped although that turns out dry like straw and done in
the microwave like that, it will be ever so slightly moist. So you might
get a tiny bit of the seasoning to stick.

It is also futile to spray it with something. I used to do that. I used
Weight Watcher's buttery spray. Then it dawned on me that I was having to
use close to half a can at a time to get the salt to stick. No more. Now I
just pop it in a pan. You can pan pop with just a tiny bit of oil. I'd
sooner do that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2013 1:09 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 14:35:37 -0400, Metspitzer wrote:
>
>> I pop corn in a paper bag so I can make it more low calorie. If I
>> leave the corn in the microwave for too long it burns, so I end up
>> with lots of un popped corn.
>>
>> I then pour the corn in a plastic bowl and use this seasoning:
>> https://www.kernelseasons.com/
>>
>> Because there is no oil, I end up with lots of seasoning at the
>> bottom.
>>
>> Anyone have a clever way to separate the seasoning from the un popped
>> corn?

> The same way you deseeded cheap 70's weed - credit card and a frisbee.
>
> -sw

Oh my, a lifestyle tell.

How to separate an egg.. sharkman[_3_] General Cooking 9 25-08-2012 02:05 AM
ring popped off dave Preserving 2 19-07-2012 01:45 PM
I popped the sorghum! Julie Bove Diabetic 5 19-03-2010 09:21 AM
Separate Container Blinky the Shark General Cooking 11 20-02-2007 01:25 PM
Does olive oil separate?? TomKan General Cooking 11 01-04-2005 04:32 AM