Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Carb count for popped sorghum

Does anyone know? I just placed an order from American Spice and they had
this listed under the popcorn section. Apparently you can pop it just like
you would popcorn. It said it was sweeter and higher in protein. I have
ordered some. It might say on the bag or jar or however it comes when I get
it, but I was curious. Anyone know?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> Does anyone know? I just placed an order from American Spice and they had
> this listed under the popcorn section. Apparently you can pop it just like
> you would popcorn. It said it was sweeter and higher in protein. I have
> ordered some. It might say on the bag or jar or however it comes when I get
> it, but I was curious. Anyone know?

People eat that??? The farmer across the street from me grows it in
alternating years with cotton. I thought it was only for cows.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> Does anyone know? I just placed an order from American Spice and they
>> had this listed under the popcorn section. Apparently you can pop it
>> just like you would popcorn. It said it was sweeter and higher in
>> protein. I have ordered some. It might say on the bag or jar or however
>> it comes when I get it, but I was curious. Anyone know?

> People eat that??? The farmer across the street from me grows it in
> alternating years with cotton. I thought it was only for cows.

Oh yes! Isn't in it some molasses? And the flour is used in some gluten
free cooking. I just didn't realize you could pop it like corn.

When I was a kid, my mom went out of town and my dad was responsible for our
meals. This could be quite unusual because he really didn't know how to
cook, but tried. I remember him deciding to roast some sunflower seeds in a
skillet. They sort of popped like corn. Tasted good but didn't get the
while fluffy kernels.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know? I just placed an order from American Spice and they had
> this listed under the popcorn section. Apparently you can pop it just
> like you would popcorn. It said it was sweeter and higher in protein. I
> have ordered some. It might say on the bag or jar or however it comes
> when I get it, but I was curious. Anyone know?

Can you get a usable carb count from this?

<http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/calories-in-sorghum?xid=MCC_GSEK_TFK&s_kwcid=TC|17841|sorghum| |S|b|3773796503&gclid=CKrTpqyd4J8CFRAHswodORKAGw>

Robert Miles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Does anyone know? I just placed an order from American Spice and they
>> had this listed under the popcorn section. Apparently you can pop it
>> just like you would popcorn. It said it was sweeter and higher in
>> protein. I have ordered some. It might say on the bag or jar or however
>> it comes when I get it, but I was curious. Anyone know?

> Can you get a usable carb count from this?
>
> <http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/calories-in-sorghum?xid=MCC_GSEK_TFK&s_kwcid=TC|17841|sorghum| |S|b|3773796503&gclid=CKrTpqyd4J8CFRAHswodORKAGw>

Well... I don't know if that's the same as popping sorghum but it looks
like it would have about the same carb count as popcorn.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Robert Miles" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> Does anyone know? I just placed an order from American Spice and
>>> they had this listed under the popcorn section. Apparently you can
>>> pop it just like you would popcorn. It said it was sweeter and
>>> higher in protein. I have ordered some. It might say on the bag
>>> or jar or however it comes when I get it, but I was curious. Anyone
>>> know?

>> Can you get a usable carb count from this?
>>
>> <http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/calories-in-sorghum?xid=MCC_GSEK_TFK&s_kwcid=TC|17841|sorghum| |S|b|3773796503&gclid=CKrTpqyd4J8CFRAHswodORKAGw>

> Well... I don't know if that's the same as popping sorghum but it
> looks like it would have about the same carb count as popcorn.\

And no more sore ghums... I am one that always manages to get some
popcorn husk in my gum.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:

> >> Can you get a usable carb count from this?
> >>
> >> <http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-f...sorghum?xid=MC
> >> C_GSEK_TFK&s_kwcid=TC|17841|sorghum||S|b|377379650 3&gclid=CKrTpqyd4J8C
> >> FRAHswodORKAGw>

> > Well... I don't know if that's the same as popping sorghum but it
> > looks like it would have about the same carb count as popcorn.\

> And no more sore ghums... I am one that always manages to get some
> popcorn husk in my gum.

I have diverticulosis and have to avoid popcorn husks in my bum. ;-O

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Can you get a usable carb count from this?
>>>
>>> <http://www.everydayhealth.com/food-fitness/calories-in-sorghum?xid=MCC_GSEK_TFK&s_kwcid=TC|17841|sorghum| |S|b|3773796503&gclid=CKrTpqyd4J8CFRAHswodORKAGw>

>> Well... I don't know if that's the same as popping sorghum but it
>> looks like it would have about the same carb count as popcorn.\

> And no more sore ghums... I am one that always manages to get some
> popcorn husk in my gum.

I do that often. The worst one was many years ago on the roof of my mouth.
I tried everything to get it out. It was sooo painful! Finally it
literally festered up and the spot sort of exploded and out it came. I was
driving in my car at the time and I had a friend with me. I felt such
relieve I screamed, "Thank God!" Then when he asked me what it was and I
told him, he said, "Eeeew. Eeeeeew!" Hehehe.

The stuff I eat at home comes from the health food store. It's very fresh
and I don't recall having much problem with the husks. For a while there I
would chew a piece of gum after eating it just in case. Seemed to pull out
any hulls that might remain.

However, if I eat it at Target (like I did today) or at the movies, I might
have problems.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Well... I don't know if that's the same as popping sorghum but it
>>> looks like it would have about the same carb count as popcorn.\

>> And no more sore ghums... I am one that always manages to get some
>> popcorn husk in my gum.

> I have diverticulosis and have to avoid popcorn husks in my bum. ;-O

So does one of my sons I think his life long aversion to anything with
fibre in it has led to this very painful condition. He is late 30's and been
hospitalised twice already becasue of it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Well... I don't know if that's the same as popping sorghum but it
>>> looks like it would have about the same carb count as popcorn.\

>> And no more sore ghums... I am one that always manages to get some
>> popcorn husk in my gum.

> I do that often. The worst one was many years ago on the roof of my
> mouth. I tried everything to get it out. It was sooo painful! Finally it
> literally festered up and the spot sort of exploded and
> out it came. I was driving in my car at the time and I had a friend
> with me. I felt such relieve I screamed, "Thank God!" Then when he
> asked me what it was and I told him, he said, "Eeeew. Eeeeeew!" Hehehe.
> The stuff I eat at home comes from the health food store. It's very
> fresh and I don't recall having much problem with the husks. For a
> while there I would chew a piece of gum after eating it just in case.
> Seemed to pull out any hulls that might remain.
>
> However, if I eat it at Target (like I did today) or at the movies, I
> might have problems.

I have to say, movie popcorn doesn't affect me. I use microwave popcorn at
home and I reckon it happens about every 3rd time I eat it. I have machine
popped at home and no difference. I guess movie popcorn explodes more or
something...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> And no more sore ghums... I am one that always manages to get some
>>> popcorn husk in my gum.

>> I do that often. The worst one was many years ago on the roof of my
>> mouth. I tried everything to get it out. It was sooo painful! Finally it
>> literally festered up and the spot sort of exploded and
>> out it came. I was driving in my car at the time and I had a friend
>> with me. I felt such relieve I screamed, "Thank God!" Then when he
>> asked me what it was and I told him, he said, "Eeeew. Eeeeeew!" Hehehe.
>> The stuff I eat at home comes from the health food store. It's very
>> fresh and I don't recall having much problem with the husks. For a
>> while there I would chew a piece of gum after eating it just in case.
>> Seemed to pull out any hulls that might remain.
>>
>> However, if I eat it at Target (like I did today) or at the movies, I
>> might have problems.

> I have to say, movie popcorn doesn't affect me. I use microwave popcorn at
> home and I reckon it happens about every 3rd time I eat it. I have machine
> popped at home and no difference. I guess movie popcorn explodes more or
> something...

I make it in a pan. Used to use coconut oil, but now use some kind of
butter flavored popping oil like they do at the movies. I have to use two
different brands to get the right taste. Yeah, I know one of them is
partially hydrogenated, but I don't eat it very often.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer wrote:

>>> And no more sore ghums... I am one that always manages to get some
>>> popcorn husk in my gum.

>> I have diverticulosis and have to avoid popcorn husks in my bum. ;-O

> So does one of my sons I think his life long aversion to anything with
> fibre in it has led to this very painful condition. He is late 30's and
> been hospitalised twice already becasue of it.

My 35 year old son has it too. The first attack happened a couple of years
ago and the Dr said they don't see this very often in young men. He has kept
it under control with fiber drinks and watching what he eats. Another thing
they found was he had low thyroid. He has lost 80 lbs...now that he doesn't
feel to exhausted to exercise. He is a Chemical Engineer that travels
allot...that doesn't help with his Diet.

ring popped off dave Preserving 2 19-07-2012 01:45 PM
Does the carb count look right on this? Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 3 08-04-2012 05:34 AM
Never overestimate your carb count! Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 0 21-09-2010 05:50 AM
I popped the sorghum! Julie Bove Diabetic 5 19-03-2010 09:21 AM
Popped an airlock, ramifications? Tom Winemaking 3 27-11-2003 03:26 AM