Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default time between primary fermentation and pressing

This is an odd question but due to some extraneous circumstances, I
may
have to delay pressing the grapes after primary fermenation (after sg
is
below 1.0). How long could one practically wait before pressing and
beginning secondary fermentation? I am in Pennsylvania and this
appears to be an Indian Summer type of fall.
Thanks.Orlando
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Due to scheduling FU's, we've gone 7-10 days extra on red skins w/o any
perceived calmities... YMMV...

> wrote in message
> This is an odd question but due to some extraneous circumstances, I
> may
> have to delay pressing the grapes after primary fermenation (after sg
> is
> below 1.0). How long could one practically wait before pressing and
> beginning secondary fermentation? I am in Pennsylvania and this
> appears to be an Indian Summer type of fall.
> Thanks.Orlando

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Oct 22, 9:38*pm, Steve > wrote:
> wrote:
> > This is an odd question but due to some extraneous circumstances, I
> > may
> > have to delay pressing the grapes after primary fermenation (after sg
> > is
> > below 1.0). How long could one practically wait before pressing and
> > beginning secondary fermentation? I am in Pennsylvania and this
> > appears to be an Indian Summer type of fall.

>-
> Thanks.Orlando
>
> We are waiting two days due to scheduling issues. *11 day fermentation,
> wait two days then press. *1900 lbs of California Old Vine Zinfandel and
> Alicante 75/25 co-fermented. *Pressing this weekend. *Haven't let it sit
> much more than 2 days after fermentation has stopped in the past.
>
> Steve - also in PA

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Oct 22, 6:38*pm, Steve > wrote:
> wrote:
> > This is an odd question but due to some extraneous circumstances, I
> > may
> > have to delay pressing the grapes after primary fermenation (after sg
> > is
> > below 1.0). How long could one practically wait before pressing and
> > beginning secondary fermentation? I am in Pennsylvania and this
> > appears to be an Indian Summer type of fall.
> > Thanks.Orlando

> We are waiting two days due to scheduling issues. *11 day fermentation,
> wait two days then press. *1900 lbs of California Old Vine Zinfandel and
> Alicante 75/25 co-fermented. *Pressing this weekend. *Haven't let it sit
> much more than 2 days after fermentation has stopped in the past.
>
> Steve - also in PA

Hi

Letting the juice sit on the skins and seeds for a few days in a
relatively cool environment will be fine. Relatively cool is somewhere
between 55-65 degrees F.

We do this often at the winery, and at times have let wine macerate
for 4-6 days with no ill effects. Actually extended maceration have
insignificant effect on composition or on sensory effects of the
resultant wine. Historically, seed tannins have been blamed for many
things. Interestingly the most recent research has shown that seed
tannins usually thought to be the culprit - are not themicat issue.
In fact seed tannins may be the molecules that eventually make wine
more drinkable! [Wines & Vines, October, 2009 pg. 56]

Hope this helps.

Jerry

De Angelis Wines

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Dry ice can be used to create a CO2 blanket post-fermentation that
will help protect the wine.

Greg G.