Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Powdery Mildew

I've had more problems with powdery mildew this year than any time
ever. Anyone have suggestions for fermenting grapes that have been
hit hard with this fungus. The worse ones have been Marichal Foch.

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Strongarm wrote:

> I've had more problems with powdery mildew this year than any time
> ever. Anyone have suggestions for fermenting grapes that have been
> hit hard with this fungus. The worse ones have been Marichal Foch.
>
> Tom

I really have no experience fermenting grapes infected with powdery.

I seem to have very good success by spraying with a product called Champ II
I previously used a product called Tenncop which was very similar. I get my
products from the Maryland Grape Growers Association Cooperative pesticide
purchase program.

It is a copper based fungicide and contrary to Sulphur which is good only
for powdery is good for both powdery and downy mildew. It is a protectant
and can be used right up to the day of harvest.

This year I have also used Topsin for a pre-bloom spray and again post
bloom. It is a systemic and should be limited in use and follow the
manufactures suggestions for maximum amounts per acre per year and number
of sprays per year. I think that getting good control pre-bloom and
immediately post bloom makes a BIG difference for the rest of the year.

I also think it is good practice to put down a post harvest spray or sprays
to prevent an innoculum from building up in the vineyard that will become
active again next spring. A lot of growers quit spraying after verasion
but I think it is best maybe to quit after verasion but begin again for a
spray or two post harvest. I know it is hard to do when all you really
want to do is cellar chores.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I'd sulfite the must to ~75ppm SO2 and ferment with Red Star Premier
Cuvée (PDM) yeast.

On Aug 27, 8:29*am, Strongarm > wrote:
> I've had more problems with powdery mildew this year than any time
> ever. *Anyone have suggestions for fermenting grapes that have been
> hit hard with this fungus. *The worse ones have been Marichal Foch.
>
> Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Aug 28, 7:26*am, wrote:
> I'd sulfite the must to ~75ppm SO2 and ferment with *Red Star Premier
> Cuvée (PDM) yeast.
>
> On Aug 27, 8:29*am, Strongarm > wrote:

Both answers are very good and I thank you. I never thought about a
post harvest spray and boosting the SO2 with Premier Cuvee(PDM) yeast
is quite do-able.

Tom
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"It is a copper based fungicide ......and can be used right up to the
day of harvest."

Are you sure? I wouldn't be spraying copper based anything on my
grapes the day before harvest.

On Aug 27, 6:33*pm, "Paul E. Lehmann" >
wrote:
> Strongarm wrote:
> > I've had more problems with powdery mildew this year than any time
> > ever. *Anyone have suggestions for fermenting grapes that have been
> > hit hard with this fungus. *The worse ones have been Marichal Foch.

> > Tom

> I really have no experience fermenting grapes infected with powdery.
>
> I seem to have very good success by spraying with a product called Champ II
> I previously used a product called Tenncop which was very similar. *I get my
> products from the Maryland Grape Growers Association Cooperative pesticide
> purchase program.
>
> It is a copper based fungicide and contrary to Sulphur which is good only
> for powdery is good for both powdery and downy mildew. *It is a protectant
> and can be used right up to the day of harvest.
>
> This year I have also used Topsin for a pre-bloom spray and again post
> bloom. *It is a systemic and should be limited in use and follow the
> manufactures suggestions for maximum amounts per acre per year and number
> of sprays per year. *I think that getting good control pre-bloom and
> immediately post bloom makes a BIG difference for the rest of the year.
>
> I also think it is good practice to put down a post harvest spray or sprays
> to prevent an innoculum from building up in the vineyard that will become
> active again next spring. *A lot of growers quit spraying after verasion
> but I think it is best maybe to quit after verasion but begin again for a
> spray or two post harvest. *I know it is hard to do when all you really
> want to do is cellar chores.
>
> Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

wrote:

> "It is a copper based fungicide ......and can be used right up to the
> day of harvest."
>

> Are you sure? I wouldn't be spraying copper based anything on my
> grapes the day before harvest.

Thank you for your comment. I have searched the internet, the information
on the product package and the MSDS.

The information I have from the Maryland grape growers Association list 0
for PHI and 12 hours for Re-Entry restriction.

The MSDS does not give a PHI
Under "Potential Health Effects" it says:

"Ingestion: Slightly toxic if swallowed. This material may produce toxicity
if ingested in large quantities."

I have never used any product up to harvest and it is always better to use
caution around any pesticide. My last spray of anything so far this year
was July 29. I expect to spray again post harvest. The energy transport
is in a downward direction this time of year and the roots need all the
carbs they can get for next year.

> On Aug 27, 6:33Â*pm, "Paul E. Lehmann" >
> wrote:
>> Strongarm wrote:
>> > I've had more problems with powdery mildew this year than any time
>> > ever. Â*Anyone have suggestions for fermenting grapes that have been
>> > hit hard with this fungus. Â*The worse ones have been Marichal Foch.

>> > Tom

>> I really have no experience fermenting grapes infected with powdery.
>>
>> I seem to have very good success by spraying with a product called Champ
>> II I previously used a product called Tenncop which was very similar. Â*I
>> get my products from the Maryland Grape Growers Association Cooperative
>> pesticide purchase program.
>>
>> It is a copper based fungicide and contrary to Sulphur which is good only
>> for powdery is good for both powdery and downy mildew. Â*It is a
>> protectant and can be used right up to the day of harvest.
>>
>> This year I have also used Topsin for a pre-bloom spray and again post
>> bloom. Â*It is a systemic and should be limited in use and follow the
>> manufactures suggestions for maximum amounts per acre per year and number
>> of sprays per year. Â*I think that getting good control pre-bloom and
>> immediately post bloom makes a BIG difference for the rest of the year.
>>
>> I also think it is good practice to put down a post harvest spray or
>> sprays to prevent an innoculum from building up in the vineyard that will
>> become active again next spring. Â*A lot of growers quit spraying after
>> verasion but I think it is best maybe to quit after verasion but begin
>> again for a spray or two post harvest. Â*I know it is hard to do when all
>> you really want to do is cellar chores.
>>
>> Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Op Thu, 27 Aug 2009 06:29:00 -0700 (PDT) schreef Strongarm:

> I've had more problems with powdery mildew this year than any time
> ever. Anyone have suggestions for fermenting grapes that have been
> hit hard with this fungus. The worse ones have been Marichal Foch.
>
> Tom

I have fermented grapes that were infected by mildew: NO GO!!
Like the answers I found on an austrian site, even 5 % infected grapes will
influence the taste. Best to do is to sort your grapes before you use them.
Only pick the good ones, go for quality instead of quantity.

Nick.