Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Perishability of sugar syrup?

Several winemaking books suggest using sugar syrup at a concentration
of 1 lb sugar per 2 UK pints of total volume (800 g/litre) to feed the
must for strong wines.

Suppose I let the solution boil for a minute or two, then use boiled
water to make up the exact volume, and store it in sanitized beer
bottles with sanitized reusable caps (I use Betadine/Iodophor to
sanitize).

How long is it safe (from infection in brewing/winemaking terms) to
keep it for re-use after opening it, pouring out some solution, and
recapping it?

--
Usenet is a cesspool, a dung heap. [Patrick A. Townson]
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

hi! I've kept simple syrups stored in tupperware (scant sanitization) for
months in the 'fridge without problem. I've also kept a batch of syrup for
over a year by periodically adding H2O & re-boiling it w/o any apparent
cooties. HTH. regards, bob

"Adam Funk" > wrote in message
> Several winemaking books suggest using sugar syrup at a concentration
> of 1 lb sugar per 2 UK pints of total volume (800 g/litre) to feed the
> must for strong wines.
>
> Suppose I let the solution boil for a minute or two, then use boiled
> water to make up the exact volume, and store it in sanitized beer
> bottles with sanitized reusable caps (I use Betadine/Iodophor to
> sanitize).
>
> How long is it safe (from infection in brewing/winemaking terms) to
> keep it for re-use after opening it, pouring out some solution, and
> recapping it?
>

> --
> Usenet is a cesspool, a dung heap. [Patrick A. Townson]

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 2008-10-09, bobdrob wrote:

> hi! I've kept simple syrups stored in tupperware (scant sanitization) for
> months in the 'fridge without problem. I've also kept a batch of syrup for
> over a year by periodically adding H2O & re-boiling it w/o any apparent
> cooties. HTH. regards, bob

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, why are you adding water to the syrup later?
Doesn't that make it hard to know how much sugar you're adding to the
wine?

--
This sig no verb.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I teach culinary arts in a vocational school- we make a gallon+ of syrup at
a time for baking applications etc. & I don't use it in my wines. I'm
offering personal experience regarding the longevity of sugar syrup storage.
We add water to the reboil to replace the liquid boiled away & keep our
syrup from becoming too sweet (tastewise) for our pastry work. Some of my
students are REALLY GOOD at boiling stuff down... Since you would be
measuring SG with a hydrometer, you can add less by volume of the denser
syrup to your wine & still acheive the same desired SG. I'd use the left
over syrup to sweeten cocktails, iced beverages, etc, and make a new batch
as necessary. cheers!

"Adam Funk" > wrote in message
> On 2008-10-09, bobdrob wrote:
>
>> hi! I've kept simple syrups stored in tupperware (scant sanitization)
>> for
>> months in the 'fridge without problem. I've also kept a batch of syrup
>> for
>> over a year by periodically adding H2O & re-boiling it w/o any apparent
>> cooties. HTH. regards, bob

> Thanks!
>
> Out of curiosity, why are you adding water to the syrup later?
> Doesn't that make it hard to know how much sugar you're adding to the
> wine?
>

> --
> This sig no verb.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On 2008-10-11, bobdrob wrote:

> I teach culinary arts in a vocational school- we make a gallon+ of syrup at
> a time for baking applications etc. & I don't use it in my wines.

Aha.

> I'm offering personal experience regarding the longevity of sugar
> syrup storage. We add water to the reboil to replace the liquid
> boiled away & keep our syrup from becoming too sweet (tastewise) for
> our pastry work. Some of my students are REALLY GOOD at boiling
> stuff down... Since you would be measuring SG with a hydrometer, you
> can add less by volume of the denser syrup to your wine & still
> acheive the same desired SG. I'd use the left over syrup to sweeten
> cocktails, iced beverages, etc, and make a new batch as necessary.
> cheers!

OK, thanks for the advice. I think I'll stick to the more controlled
approach.

--
This sig no verb.

Sugar syrup PanHandler Recipes 0 29-12-2005 05:49 PM
Storing Sugar Syrup Von Fourche General Cooking 0 29-07-2005 05:03 AM
Sugar-free syrup Sherry Diabetic 23 20-11-2004 06:59 PM
Making Sugar Syrup Richard's ~JA~ General Cooking 9 27-06-2004 06:26 PM
how long will sugar syrup keep? Rick Vanderwal Winemaking 0 17-06-2004 05:08 AM