Old 27-06-2004, 12:30 AM
Richard's ~JA~

Default Making Sugar Syrup

I believe it was here that I saw the instruction for making a plain
white sugar syrup that comes to a rather thick consistency, that does
not tend toward crystals, and that can be stored in the refrigerator for
use as a quick, "grainless" sweetening for iced tea. I cannot find the
thread within which this was discussed, and I'd like to make this to
have on hand. All I remember about the method is only white sugar and
water were combined, boiled and simmered for a spell, but I need the
measurements and boil/simmer timing. Might someone repost the
instructions, please?

Picky ~JA~

Old 27-06-2004, 01:54 AM
notbob

On 2004-06-26, Richard's ~JA~ wrote:
I believe it was here that I saw the instruction for making a plain
white sugar syrup that comes to a rather thick consistency, that does
not tend toward crystals, and that can be stored in the refrigerator for

It's called "simple syrup" and a jillion recipes can be found on the net.
Here's the first one under Google:

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/beverage...ea-recipe.html

nb
Old 27-06-2004, 02:03 AM
Kenneth

On 2004-06-26, Richard's ~JA~ wrote:
I believe it was here that I saw the instruction for making a plain
white sugar syrup that comes to a rather thick consistency, that does
not tend toward crystals, and that can be stored in the refrigerator for

It's called "simple syrup" and a jillion recipes can be found on the net.
Here's the first one under Google:

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/beverage...ea-recipe.html

nb

Howdy,

Many, many years ago, I worked in a kitchen that prepared food for
about 500 people each day.

Early one morning, the baker asked that I help him by making about 50
gallons of simple syrup. As he instructed, I filled a huge container
with sugar. I then started to fill another (of the same size) with
water, but the baker quickly intervened. He showed me that I could
simply pour about a quart of hot water into the center of the sugar
and then stir until all the sugar dissolved. It took a while, but well
more than a hundred pounds of sugar eventually dissolved in that very
modest amount of water...

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Old 27-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Vox Humana

news:[email protected]_s04...
On 2004-06-26, Richard's ~JA~ wrote:
I believe it was here that I saw the instruction for making a plain
white sugar syrup that comes to a rather thick consistency, that does
not tend toward crystals, and that can be stored in the refrigerator for

It's called "simple syrup" and a jillion recipes can be found on the net.
Here's the first one under Google:

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/beverage...ea-recipe.html

nb

That was my thought also, but simple syrup isn't very viscous. I wouldn't
describe as the OP does.

Old 27-06-2004, 03:46 AM
Richard's ~JA~

(notbob) shared....
It's called "simple syrup" and a jillion
recipes can be found on the net. Here's
the first one under Google:
http://www.cooksrecipes.com/beverage...ea-recipe.html
NotBob, thank you ever so much!

Picky ~JA~

Old 27-06-2004, 07:33 AM
notbob

On 2004-06-27, Richard's ~JA~ wrote:

NotBob, thank you ever so much!

You're welcome.

Hey, even I was educated. I've never run across this version with corn
syrup. So, be a contributer and get back to us on how you like it.

nb
Old 27-06-2004, 07:43 AM
Mark Thorson

notbob wrote:

Hey, even I was educated. I've never run across this version with corn
syrup. So, be a contributer and get back to us on how you like it.

Because corn syrup is an invert sugar, it will retard
crystallization. The tendency toward crystallization is
strongest in a pure sucrose syrup, and reduced when
some of the sugar is in the form of simple sugars.

Old 27-06-2004, 08:29 AM
notbob

On 2004-06-27, Mark Thorson wrote:

Because corn syrup is an invert sugar, it will retard
crystallization. The tendency toward crystallization is
strongest in a pure sucrose syrup, and reduced when
some of the sugar is in the form of simple sugars.

I suspected the corn syrup did something to retard crystalization, but being
chemistry challenged, didn't know why. Thanks.

nb
Old 27-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark Thorson" wrote in message
notbob wrote:

Hey, even I was educated. I've never run across this version with corn
syrup. So, be a contributer and get back to us on how you like it.

Because corn syrup is an invert sugar, it will retard
crystallization. The tendency toward crystallization is
strongest in a pure sucrose syrup, and reduced when
some of the sugar is in the form of simple sugars.

But corn syrup does not taste as good as cane sugar. Never had any problems
with crystallization so I'm sticking with good taste.

Corn syrup is good for sweetening wine, though, if you are a home
brewer/vintner.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

When making a sugar syrup for Tom Collins'.... Aussie[_4_] General Cooking 11 14-01-2011 08:42 AM
Sugar syrup PanHandler Recipes 0 29-12-2005 05:49 PM
Storing Sugar Syrup Von Fourche General Cooking 0 29-07-2005 05:03 AM
Sugar-free syrup Sherry Diabetic 23 20-11-2004 06:59 PM
how long will sugar syrup keep? Rick Vanderwal Winemaking 0 17-06-2004 05:08 AM