Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Jim Jim is offline

Default Dirty looking wine

Day one I added oak chips enclosed in a nylon bag now on day two my
juice is starting to ferment but the addition of oak has made the wine
look like dirty dish water. Should I be worried or will the fining and
filtering remove the dirty appearance?
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

When you have a clear juice and added all the ingredients
it will look indeed like dishwater once it starts
to ferment.

Just wait.
Most of the time it will clear on itself and no
filtering or fining agents are needed.

Luc

--
http://www.wijnmaker.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Jim" > wrote in message
> Day one I added oak chips enclosed in a nylon bag now on day two my
> juice is starting to ferment but the addition of oak has made the wine
> look like dirty dish water. Should I be worried or will the fining and
> filtering remove the dirty appearance?

I have a similar problem. I have four varieties of white grapes in my
vineyard, all of which ripen a different times. As each variety ripened, I
picked the grapes and put them into plastic bags and into the freezer.

Friday evening, I took them all out to thaw. Saturnday morning, they were
thawed but some of the skins had browned a bit. When I pressed them, the
juice had a brown tinge. They're fermenting in the basement as I write
this. Will the brown settle out or do I need to add some wine bleach to this
batch?

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I am not a grape expert but as far as my knowledge
goes I think the must has oxidised.

Did you use sulphite ???
Sulphite prevents browning and also kills bacteria.

Luc

--
http://www.wijnmaker.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Pavel314 wrote:

> "Jim" > wrote in message

>> Day one I added oak chips enclosed in a nylon
>> bag now on day two my juice is starting to
>> ferment but the addition of oak has made the
>> wine look like dirty dish water. Should I be
>> worried or will the fining and filtering remove
>> the dirty appearance?

> I have a similar problem. I have four varieties
> of white grapes in my vineyard, all of which
> ripen a different times. As each variety
> ripened, I picked the grapes and put them into
> plastic bags and into the freezer.
>
> Friday evening, I took them all out to thaw.
> Saturnday morning, they were thawed but some of
> the skins had browned a bit. When I pressed
> them, the
> juice had a brown tinge. They're fermenting in
> the basement as I write this. Will the brown
> settle out or do I need to add some wine bleach
> to this batch?
>
> Paul

The juice for my whites always looks like a mud
puddle after pressing. After fermentation they
clear and clean up nicely all by themselves
especially with the addition of Bentonite after
fermentation.

Dirty pasta, dirty rice Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 4 21-04-2012 01:47 PM
Down & dirty Dimitri General Cooking 19 24-07-2010 01:34 AM
Dirty ovens, dirty skillets Gregory Morrow[_406_] General Cooking 0 29-01-2010 11:10 AM
My dirty little secret Goomba38 General Cooking 17 27-10-2005 07:24 AM
Dirty Rice Hu£kingBrute Recipes (moderated) 0 21-07-2005 06:28 AM