Old 26-10-2005, 09:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

Default My dirty little secret

Ok.. perhaps just one of them
This "dog licking the pan" thread prompts me to admit my dirty little
secret. My poor dog only gets to lick the pan _after_ I first get to
pick at it. I LOVE the little burned bits and caramalized juices on a
baking dish/roasting pan. Sometimes I like the dark, gooey bits better
than the food itself, lol. I like to take a spatula and dig at the pan
first...then the dog can have at it. LOL

Old 26-10-2005, 09:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

Ok.. perhaps just one of them
This "dog licking the pan" thread prompts me to admit my dirty little
secret. My poor dog only gets to lick the pan _after_ I first get to
pick at it. I LOVE the little burned bits and caramalized juices on a
baking dish/roasting pan. Sometimes I like the dark, gooey bits better
than the food itself, lol. I like to take a spatula and dig at the pan
first...then the dog can have at it. LOL

That is why pan drippings make the best gravy....... ;-)

The carmelized bits.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Old 26-10-2005, 09:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

Ok.. perhaps just one of them
This "dog licking the pan" thread prompts me to admit my dirty little
secret. My poor dog only gets to lick the pan _after_ I first get to
pick at it. I LOVE the little burned bits and caramalized juices on a
baking dish/roasting pan. Sometimes I like the dark, gooey bits better
than the food itself, lol. I like to take a spatula and dig at the pan
first...then the dog can have at it. LOL

That is why pan drippings make the best gravy....... ;-)

The carmelized bits.

Cheers!

Sure, I know that. Doesn't everyone? LOL
But that said, I don't always make gravy with meatloaf or other things I
roast or bake.
Does anyone else like to pick at them and eat them??
Old 26-10-2005, 09:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

Ok.. perhaps just one of them
This "dog licking the pan" thread prompts me to admit my dirty little
secret. My poor dog only gets to lick the pan _after_ I first get to
pick at it. I LOVE the little burned bits and caramalized juices on a
baking dish/roasting pan. Sometimes I like the dark, gooey bits better
than the food itself, lol. I like to take a spatula and dig at the pan
first...then the dog can have at it. LOL

That is why pan drippings make the best gravy....... ;-)

The carmelized bits.

Cheers!

Sure, I know that. Doesn't everyone? LOL
But that said, I don't always make gravy with meatloaf or other things I
roast or bake.
Does anyone else like to pick at them and eat them??

I do after fried chicken...
and roast beef. ;-d
--
Om.

Old 26-10-2005, 09:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Goomba38 wrote:
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

Ok.. perhaps just one of them
This "dog licking the pan" thread prompts me to admit my dirty little
secret. My poor dog only gets to lick the pan _after_ I first get to
pick at it. I LOVE the little burned bits and caramalized juices on a
baking dish/roasting pan. Sometimes I like the dark, gooey bits better
than the food itself, lol. I like to take a spatula and dig at the pan
first...then the dog can have at it. LOL

That is why pan drippings make the best gravy....... ;-)

The carmelized bits.

Cheers!

Sure, I know that. Doesn't everyone? LOL
But that said, I don't always make gravy with meatloaf or other things I
roast or bake.
Does anyone else like to pick at them and eat them??

No. Put the pan on the burner, splash in some wine, or Madeira, or
vermouth, or gin, or chicken stock, or whatever liquid is handy, bring
to boil. Scrape with the wooden spoon or spatula. Add an herb if
appropriate, salt, pepper, and pour it over the meat. Total elapsed
time 2 to 3 minutes. The pan sauce is SO much better than the bits
themselves. -aem

Old 26-10-2005, 09:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"aem" wrote:

Goomba38 wrote:
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

[...]

Now that's a thought...
Never tried Madeira.
Will Merlot do?
--
Om.

Old 26-10-2005, 09:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Goomba38" wrote in message
Ok.. perhaps just one of them
This "dog licking the pan" thread prompts me to admit my dirty little secret.
My poor dog only gets to lick the pan _after_ I first get to pick at it. I
LOVE the little burned bits and caramalized juices on a baking dish/roasting
pan.

You may not be the only one...

Beef, Pork or Chicken roasting pan which is best?

Dimitri

Old 26-10-2005, 10:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Goomba38" wrote

Sure, I know that. Doesn't everyone? LOL
But that said, I don't always make gravy with meatloaf or other things I
roast or bake.
Does anyone else like to pick at them and eat them??

Without a doubt! Same goes for mac n cheese. Not the same
thing, I know. But, yeah, don't go soaking that roasting pan until
I'm done with it. Or risk the wrath of nan.

nancy (just kidding)

Old 26-10-2005, 10:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 26 Oct 2005 01:20:35p, Goomba38 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Ok.. perhaps just one of them
This "dog licking the pan" thread prompts me to admit my dirty little
secret. My poor dog only gets to lick the pan _after_ I first get to
pick at it. I LOVE the little burned bits and caramalized juices on a
baking dish/roasting pan. Sometimes I like the dark, gooey bits better
than the food itself, lol. I like to take a spatula and dig at the pan
first...then the dog can have at it. LOL

You are a mean and selfish woman! (And I am just as bad!) :-))

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Old 26-10-2005, 10:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

It will "do", but Madeira would be better. Madeira is a fortified wine
with different characteristics. My two favorite types are Sercial madeira
(dry), and Malmsey Madeira (sweeter). Madeira is a heavier wine than most
others, but it lends itself extremely well to cooking.

Yup, also inexpensive and long-lasting. I keep Madeira, Marsala, dry
sherry, and vermouth within arm's reach of the stove. Other wines or
liquors get into a pan sauce when they spill out of the glass I'm
holding. -aem

Old 26-10-2005, 10:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 26 Oct 2005 01:47:03p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

In article .com,
"aem" wrote:

Goomba38 wrote:

Old 26-10-2005, 10:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

Dimitri wrote:

You may not be the only one...

Beef, Pork or Chicken roasting pan which is best?

Dimitri

You forgot Lamb!! Lamb pans can be quite a treat too!
I do love chicken and beef best though, I think?
Goomba
Old 26-10-2005, 10:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

Nancy Young wrote:

"Goomba38" wrote

Sure, I know that. Doesn't everyone? LOL
But that said, I don't always make gravy with meatloaf or other things I
roast or bake.
Does anyone else like to pick at them and eat them??

Without a doubt! Same goes for mac n cheese. Not the same
thing, I know. But, yeah, don't go soaking that roasting pan until
I'm done with it. Or risk the wrath of nan.

nancy (just kidding)

Ohhhhhh yeah! The baked on, crusty brown edges of a good casserole dish
are wonderful too. What is it? I can't explain it, but those are all
such a treat to me.
Goomba

Old 27-10-2005, 12:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Wed 26 Oct 2005 01:47:03p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

In article .com,
"aem" wrote:

Goomba38 wrote:
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

[...]

I'm really going to have to check this out now, thanks! :-)

IME wine tends to make sauces sour so I've avoided it, but now my
epicurious curiosity is piqued!

Cheers!
--
Om.

Dirty pasta, dirty rice Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 4 21-04-2012 01:47 PM
Down & dirty Dimitri General Cooking 19 24-07-2010 01:34 AM
Dirty ovens, dirty skillets Gregory Morrow[_406_] General Cooking 0 29-01-2010 11:10 AM
Secret Formula Lengend--- several most money-attractive secret recieps rainandwind Wine 3 13-11-2008 05:16 AM