Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default new post, old ???

I added powdered grape tannin to a somewhat listless red wine, trying
to give it a little more body. I over shot it a little bit, and it's
slightly astringent on the tongue, even after blending with another
variety. will it mellow in the bottle over time, or is it something
that needs addressed prior to bottling, and what would be the fix ?
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jan 1, 4:34 pm, wrote:
> I added powdered grape tannin to a somewhat listless red wine, trying
> to give it a little more body. I over shot it a little bit, and it's
> slightly astringent on the tongue, even after blending with another
> variety. will it mellow in the bottle over time, or is it something
> that needs addressed prior to bottling, and what would be the fix ?

Hi Ted,
It will back off with time but you can use know gelatin or an egg
white to pull it back if you want. You mix the gelatin in lukewarm
water and the egg whites get a pinch of salt and frothed a bit. If
you can hold off for a few months it may fix itself as the tartrates
drop when it gets cold.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jan 1, 6:20 pm, Joe Sallustio > wrote:
> On Jan 1, 4:34 pm, wrote:
>
> > I added powdered grape tannin to a somewhat listless red wine, trying
> > to give it a little more body. I over shot it a little bit, and it's
> > slightly astringent on the tongue, even after blending with another
> > variety. will it mellow in the bottle over time, or is it something
> > that needs addressed prior to bottling, and what would be the fix ?

> Hi Ted,
> It will back off with time but you can use know gelatin or an egg
> white to pull it back if you want. You mix the gelatin in lukewarm
> water and the egg whites get a pinch of salt and frothed a bit. If
> you can hold off for a few months it may fix itself as the tartrates
> drop when it gets cold.
>
> Joe

you suppose putting it out on the porch for a few days might do it ?
I've never tried egg whites or gelatin for clearing wine....usually
leaving it rest long term in carboys does it for me.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jan 1, 7:57 pm, wrote:
> On Jan 1, 6:20 pm, Joe Sallustio > wrote:
>

> > On Jan 1, 4:34 pm, wrote:

> > > I added powdered grape tannin to a somewhat listless red wine, trying
> > > to give it a little more body. I over shot it a little bit, and it's
> > > slightly astringent on the tongue, even after blending with another
> > > variety. will it mellow in the bottle over time, or is it something
> > > that needs addressed prior to bottling, and what would be the fix ?

> > Hi Ted,
> > It will back off with time but you can use know gelatin or an egg
> > white to pull it back if you want. You mix the gelatin in lukewarm
> > water and the egg whites get a pinch of salt and frothed a bit. If
> > you can hold off for a few months it may fix itself as the tartrates
> > drop when it gets cold.

> > Joe

> you suppose putting it out on the porch for a few days might do it ?
> I've never tried egg whites or gelatin for clearing wine....usually
> leaving it rest long term in carboys does it for me.

It cant hurt, you want those tartrates to drop anyway. The egg whites
and gelatin are better at reducing astringency. The French have done
egg whites in Burbgundy forever; they tell you to use a copper bowl to
froth them, I don't know how important that is.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jan 2, 5:58*am, Joe Sallustio > wrote:
> On Jan 1, 7:57 pm, wrote:

> > > Hi Ted,
> > > It will back off with time but you can use know gelatin or an egg
> > > white to pull it back if you want. *You mix the gelatin in lukewarm
> > > water and the egg whites get a pinch of salt and frothed a bit. * If
> > > you can hold off for a few months it may fix itself as the tartrates
> > > drop when it gets cold.

> > > Joe

> > you suppose putting it out on the porch for a few days might do it ?
> > I've never tried egg whites or gelatin for clearing wine....usually
> > leaving it rest long term in carboys does it for me.

> It cant hurt, you want those tartrates to drop anyway. The egg whites
> and *gelatin are better at reducing astringency. *The French have done
> egg whites in Burbgundy forever; they tell you to use a copper bowl to
> froth them, I don't know how important that is.
>
> Joe- Hide quoted text -

I was taught by my mother never to make certain foods in copper
because of the reactivity. My guess is that the use of copper bowls
in this case is to draw some copper into the egg white, enabling the
addition of H2S reduction. This is an interesting discussion. I have
a cab right now that is a touch astringent, but I was thinking that it
was because it just came off the oak. I do believe that with time, it
will mellow, but the egg whites might be a good way to make some
portion of it more drinkable now.
thanks
marc

Here's a recent post that I can't send. Trying a new post. Gary General Cooking 7 30-10-2012 04:40 AM
Brix readings on post-crush and post-soak Pinot Noir David Winemaking 3 21-10-2006 08:56 PM
First Post Garrett M. Rowe Barbecue 10 11-05-2004 03:27 AM
2nd to Last Post Mark Preston Preserving 0 28-03-2004 06:14 PM
It's ok if I post OT, but don't none of you others do it! kalanamak General Cooking 3 30-09-2003 02:14 AM