Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Elderberry: Boiling vs Fresh

Have made elderberry for couple years now. I think it's a keeper even
if I have grapes to make wine.

Thinking about boiling the berries this year as in Kellers recipes,
but was wondering if anyone tried both styles and can provide any
feedback on the differences.

TIA

Steve
Oregon
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Uh I mean fresh vs boiled elderberries....

What a dip, maybe I should proofread before I hit send!

Steve
Oregon

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 19:12:23 -0700, spud >
wrote:

>Have made elderberry for couple years now. I think it's a keeper even
>if I have grapes to make wine.
>
>Thinking about boiling the berries this year as in Kellers recipes,
>but was wondering if anyone tried both styles and can provide any
>feedback on the differences.
>
>TIA
>
>Steve
>Oregon

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007, spud said about:
Elderberry: Boiling vs Fresh

> Uh I mean fresh vs boiled elderberries....
>
> What a dip, maybe I should proofread before I hit send!
>
> Steve
> Oregon
>
> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 19:12:23 -0700, spud >
> wrote:
>
> >Have made elderberry for couple years now. I think it's a keeper even
> >if I have grapes to make wine.
> >
> >Thinking about boiling the berries this year as in Kellers recipes,
> >but was wondering if anyone tried both styles and can provide any
> >feedback on the differences.

I started out making small batches fresh.
When I went to a 30 gal barrel, I was forced
to boil due to labor. (B-B sized fruit.)

Boiling allows incomplete stem removal,
-- to be strained out later, while still hot.
No discernable degradation in flavor.
Probably higher tannins tho.

Now I would only boil, even for small batches.
--Doug

dried/fresh fruit (elderberry) conversion Droopy Winemaking 3 05-01-2006 01:44 AM
Oak Elderberry Wine? spud Winemaking 5 30-10-2005 06:47 PM
Novice Needs Help with Elderberry Bullskinner Winemaking 1 19-09-2005 03:34 PM
Elderberry Wine Corey Smith Winemaking 4 14-09-2004 03:02 AM
elderberry film Roger Fuller Winemaking 5 22-10-2003 10:16 PM