Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Doug Bashford Doug Bashford is offline

Default Elderberry: Boiling vs Fresh

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007, spud said about:
Elderberry: Boiling vs Fresh

> Uh I mean fresh vs boiled elderberries....
>
> What a dip, maybe I should proofread before I hit send!
>
> Steve
> Oregon
>
> On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 19:12:23 -0700, spud >
> wrote:
>
> >Have made elderberry for couple years now. I think it's a keeper even
> >if I have grapes to make wine.
> >
> >Thinking about boiling the berries this year as in Kellers recipes,
> >but was wondering if anyone tried both styles and can provide any
> >feedback on the differences.

I started out making small batches fresh.
When I went to a 30 gal barrel, I was forced
to boil due to labor. (B-B sized fruit.)

Boiling allows incomplete stem removal,
-- to be strained out later, while still hot.
No discernable degradation in flavor.
Probably higher tannins tho.

Now I would only boil, even for small batches.
--Doug