Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default calibration ?

Just got a hannah phep ph meter , set it up and did 2 point
calibration with pre packaged buffers....7 and 4.01 according to
dorections.after calibration is "locked in" , i tested some tap
water , then both buffers...the 4.01 tested just that , but the 7
tested like 7.3 . is this normal deviation ?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 15, 6:47 am, wrote:
> Just got a hannah phep ph meter , set it up and did 2 point
> calibration with pre packaged buffers....7 and 4.01 according to
> dorections.after calibration is "locked in" , i tested some tap
> water , then both buffers...the 4.01 tested just that , but the 7
> tested like 7.3 . is this normal deviation ?

No, unless it's a 'checker'. The prpbe on that meter is not very
stable in my experience. Most Hanna meters have an accuracy (or
precision) of 0.1 pH or better. Recalibrate it and see if it works
better.

The pHep5 has an annoying habit of shutting down through an auto time;
if it powers off you need to recalibrate it. There is a work
around. Just press hold. It keeps it up several minutes longer. I
wrote a pH meter FAQ a while ago, just search the archives or i can
repost.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Also,

If it is a new meter the probe was probably dry.

The readings are more stable after the probe has been hydrated

Joe Sallustio wrote:
> On Sep 15, 6:47 am, wrote:
>> Just got a hannah phep ph meter , set it up and did 2 point
>> calibration with pre packaged buffers....7 and 4.01 according to
>> dorections.after calibration is "locked in" , i tested some tap
>> water , then both buffers...the 4.01 tested just that , but the 7
>> tested like 7.3 . is this normal deviation ?

> No, unless it's a 'checker'. The prpbe on that meter is not very
> stable in my experience. Most Hanna meters have an accuracy (or
> precision) of 0.1 pH or better. Recalibrate it and see if it works
> better.
>
> The pHep5 has an annoying habit of shutting down through an auto time;
> if it powers off you need to recalibrate it. There is a work
> around. Just press hold. It keeps it up several minutes longer. I
> wrote a pH meter FAQ a while ago, just search the archives or i can
> repost.
>
> Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I would add that, in my experience with my Hannah meter, it is
important to keep the sensor stored in appropriate storage solution.

I've also found that if the meter gets a little flaky, soaking it for
30 minutes in storage solution, then re-calibrating helps. It often
requires two successive two-point calibrations to get it accurate.

In article >

--
I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 113 days.
You should really try it!

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 15, 7:42 am, Joe Sallustio > wrote:
> On Sep 15, 6:47 am, wrote:
>
> > Just got a hannah phep ph meter , set it up and did 2 point
> > calibration with pre packaged buffers....7 and 4.01 according to
> > dorections.after calibration is "locked in" , i tested some tap
> > water , then both buffers...the 4.01 tested just that , but the 7
> > tested like 7.3 . is this normal deviation ?

> No, unless it's a 'checker'. The prpbe on that meter is not very
> stable in my experience. Most Hanna meters have an accuracy (or
> precision) of 0.1 pH or better. Recalibrate it and see if it works
> better.
>
> The pHep5 has an annoying habit of shutting down through an auto time;
> if it powers off you need to recalibrate it. There is a work
> around. Just press hold. It keeps it up several minutes longer. I
> wrote a pH meter FAQ a while ago, just search the archives or i can
> repost.
>
> Joe

The guy at grape and granary said this meter wouldn't need calibrated
each time I use it...is this accurate?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Must be a different Hannah than any I've used. Mine needs calibrating
on any day I intend to use it - if I expect the readings to be
accurate.

In article
. com>theodore.lowe@gma
il.com wrote:

> The guy at grape and granary said this meter wouldn't need
> calibratedeach time I use it...is this accurate?

--
I'm using an evaluation license of nemo since 113 days.
You should really try it!
http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I actually calibrate mine twice before using.
And I calibrate it everyday I plan on using it.

AxisOfBeagles wrote:
> Must be a different Hannah than any I've used. Mine needs calibrating
> on any day I intend to use it - if I expect the readings to be
> accurate.
>

> In article
> . com>theodore.lowe@gma
> il.com wrote:
>

>> The guy at grape and granary said this meter wouldn't need
>> calibratedeach time I use it...is this accurate?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 16, 6:23 am, wrote:
> On Sep 15, 7:42 am, Joe Sallustio > wrote:
>

> > On Sep 15, 6:47 am, wrote:

> > > Just got a hannah phep ph meter , set it up and did 2 point
> > > calibration with pre packaged buffers....7 and 4.01 according to
> > > dorections.after calibration is "locked in" , i tested some tap
> > > water , then both buffers...the 4.01 tested just that , but the 7
> > > tested like 7.3 . is this normal deviation ?

> > No, unless it's a 'checker'. The prpbe on that meter is not very
> > stable in my experience. Most Hanna meters have an accuracy (or
> > precision) of 0.1 pH or better. Recalibrate it and see if it works
> > better.

> > The pHep5 has an annoying habit of shutting down through an auto time;
> > if it powers off you need to recalibrate it. There is a work
> > around. Just press hold. It keeps it up several minutes longer. I
> > wrote a pH meter FAQ a while ago, just search the archives or i can
> > repost.

> > Joe

> The guy at grape and granary said this meter wouldn't need calibrated
> each time I use it...is this accurate?- Hide quoted text -

No, it's not accurate. You are really calibrating the probe, not the
meter. You need to get the offset and slope set right for the
readings to mean anything. The pH7 buffer sets the offset and the pH
4 sets the slope.

DCS Oven Calibration Screws...? Kenneth Cooking Equipment 3 19-02-2009 09:29 PM
hanna phep 5 calibration error homebrewdude Winemaking 12 13-09-2007 03:25 PM
Infernal PH Meter - calibration query - and a note to Tom S ss Winemaking 7 24-10-2004 12:05 PM
PH meter calibration Jethro Winemaking 2 02-04-2004 10:37 PM
Hydrometer Calibration Documents Clyde Gill Winemaking 3 12-10-2003 09:03 PM