Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default hanna phep 5 calibration error

I am trying to calibrate my Hanna ph meter.

I mixed up new solutions of 4.00 and 7.00

I hold on till CAL shows up.

It says "use" 7.01
Then it says "use" "4.01"

After a few seconds it says "WRNG"
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:32:38 +0200, homebrewdude
> wrote:

> I am trying to calibrate my Hanna ph meter.
> I mixed up new solutions of 4.00 and 7.00
> I hold on till CAL shows up.
>
> It says "use" 7.01
> Then it says "use" "4.01"
>
> After a few seconds it says "WRNG"

Assuming you have put the electrode in correct solutions as asked by the
display content - something went wrong in the second solution. I don't
know Hanna meters, but it is very unlikely to me that they don't show
error message at once after dipping electrode into pH 7.01 solution - pH
meter must recognize the solution before moving to the next one.

Do you have pH stripes, to check if the second solution pH is really
around 4 (and the first one around 7)? Don't bother with high accuracy,
just check if they are around their proper values.

Borek
--
http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=BATE&right=pH-calculator
http://www.ph-meter.info/pH-electrode
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
RD RD is offline

On Sep 8, 5:16 pm, Borek
> wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:32:38 +0200, homebrewdude
>
> > wrote:
> > I am trying to calibrate my Hanna ph meter.
> > I mixed up new solutions of 4.00 and 7.00
> > I hold on till CAL shows up.

> > It says "use" 7.01
> > Then it says "use" "4.01"

> > After a few seconds it says "WRNG"

> Assuming you have put the electrode in correct solutions as asked by the
> display content - something went wrong in the second solution. I don't
> know Hanna meters, but it is very unlikely to me that they don't show
> error message at once after dipping electrode into pH 7.01 solution - pH
> meter must recognize the solution before moving to the next one.
>
> Do you have pH stripes, to check if the second solution pH is really
> around 4 (and the first one around 7)? Don't bother with high accuracy,
> just check if they are around their proper values.
>
> Borek
> --http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=BATE&right=pH-calculatorhttp://www.ph-meter.info/pH-electrode

I have this meter and it's worked well for me for 3+ years. The 2-
point calibration proceeds first with the 7.01 buffer then the 4.01.
If you see 'WRNG', it means that the meter can't recognize your
buffer. So either you've tried to do it out of sequence or your
buffers are not what they're supposed to be. If you have commercially
purchased buffers, try again in the reverse order. If you've mixed
the buffers yourself, you should re-examine how you did it to make
sure it's right.

RD

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
hap hap is offline

On Sep 8, 12:32 pm, homebrewdude >
wrote:
> I am trying to calibrate my Hanna ph meter.
>
> I mixed up new solutions of 4.00 and 7.00
>
> I hold on till CAL shows up.
>
> It says "use" 7.01
> Then it says "use" "4.01"
>
> After a few seconds it says "WRNG"

Maybe the probe needs replacement?

This makes me raise a question I was wondering about. Keep in mind
I'm small hobbist wine maker and a cheap skate. I've heard that you
can use 2 common household items with a PH at approx 7 and 4 instead
of the calibration packs. The hanna ph meter reads to 0.01 but is
only accruate to plus/minus 0.2. So very good accuracy of the test
solution isn't that important. A bottle of water (not tap) would work
for the 7 range. Any ideas what could work for the higher acidic
range? Windex, dish soap, Coke or Pepsi?? I guess you'd have to know
what the PH of each was before you calibrate.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

That is what I thought I did...

I remixed the 4.00 and the 7.00

The meter reads 7.00 in the 7.00 solution
It is reading 4.70 in the 4.00 solution

I tried to recalibrate it, no go...

I do not know how else to confrim it?
What should distilled water read?

My fish tank has always read 8.20
It is reading 7.5 now.. I think this is wrong.

RD wrote:
> On Sep 8, 5:16 pm, Borek
> > wrote:
>> On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:32:38 +0200, homebrewdude
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> I am trying to calibrate my Hanna ph meter.
>>> I mixed up new solutions of 4.00 and 7.00
>>> I hold on till CAL shows up.
>>> It says "use" 7.01
>>> Then it says "use" "4.01"
>>> After a few seconds it says "WRNG"

>> Assuming you have put the electrode in correct solutions as asked by the
>> display content - something went wrong in the second solution. I don't
>> know Hanna meters, but it is very unlikely to me that they don't show
>> error message at once after dipping electrode into pH 7.01 solution - pH
>> meter must recognize the solution before moving to the next one.
>>
>> Do you have pH stripes, to check if the second solution pH is really
>> around 4 (and the first one around 7)? Don't bother with high accuracy,
>> just check if they are around their proper values.
>>
>> Borek
>> --http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=BATE&right=pH-calculatorhttp://www.ph-meter.info/pH-electrode

> I have this meter and it's worked well for me for 3+ years. The 2-
> point calibration proceeds first with the 7.01 buffer then the 4.01.
> If you see 'WRNG', it means that the meter can't recognize your
> buffer. So either you've tried to do it out of sequence or your
> buffers are not what they're supposed to be. If you have commercially
> purchased buffers, try again in the reverse order. If you've mixed
> the buffers yourself, you should re-examine how you did it to make
> sure it's right.
>
> RD

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sep 10, 7:12 pm, hap > wrote:
> On Sep 8, 12:32 pm, homebrewdude >
> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to calibrate my Hanna ph meter.

> > I mixed up new solutions of 4.00 and 7.00

> > I hold on till CAL shows up.

> > It says "use" 7.01
> > Then it says "use" "4.01"

> > After a few seconds it says "WRNG"

> Maybe the probe needs replacement?
>
> This makes me raise a question I was wondering about. Keep in mind
> I'm small hobbist wine maker and a cheap skate. I've heard that you
> can use 2 common household items with a PH at approx 7 and 4 instead
> of the calibration packs. The hanna ph meter reads to 0.01 but is
> only accruate to plus/minus 0.2. So very good accuracy of the test
> solution isn't that important. A bottle of water (not tap) would work
> for the 7 range. Any ideas what could work for the higher acidic
> range? Windex, dish soap, Coke or Pepsi?? I guess you'd have to know
> what the PH of each was before you calibrate.

water is not a good buffer, if you want something close to 4 try cream
of tartar at 3.54 pH. Cheap buffers can be had from Hydrion. This
meter is accurate to 0.05.

As to the OP, email Hanna, they are good at customer support. I have
this meter and never had this issue, mine is around 5 years old.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 01:46:11 +0200, homebrewdude
> wrote:

> What should distilled water read?

Between 5.5 and 6, distilled water gets saturated with CO2 very fast and
becomes acidic.

Borek
--
http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=BATE&right=pH-calculator
http://www.ph-meter.info/pH-electrode
http://www.bpp.com.pl/?left=dysleksja&right=dysleksja
http://www.terapia-kregoslupa.waw.pl
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
RD RD is offline

Spend the $8 and buy some new, accurate buffer solutions (Presque Isle
has them). They are stable for a pretty long time - afterall, they
are buffers. The pHEP5 is accurate to 0.05 units, as Joe mentioned,
so I think you'll waste more than $8 in time and frustration seeking
household items as pH standards.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:18:53 +0200, RD > wrote:

> They are stable for a pretty long time - afterall, they
> are buffers.

pH 4 buffers are stable, pH 7 more or less stable, pH 10 buffers are
unstabel if they are not kept airtight. Once again that's CO2 in action.

But you are absolutely right that it doesn't make sense to look for
household items, as relatively precise buffers can be bought cheap.

Borek
--
http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=BATE&right=pH-calculator
http://www.ph-meter.info/pH-electrode
http://www.bpp.com.pl/?left=dysleksja&right=dysleksja
http://www.terapia-kregoslupa.waw.pl
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

On Sep 10, 4:12 pm, hap > wrote:
> On Sep 8, 12:32 pm, homebrewdude >
> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to calibrate my Hanna ph meter.

> > I mixed up new solutions of 4.00 and 7.00

> > I hold on till CAL shows up.

> > It says "use" 7.01
> > Then it says "use" "4.01"

> > After a few seconds it says "WRNG"

> Maybe the probe needs replacement?
>
> This makes me raise a question I was wondering about. Keep in mind
> I'm small hobbist wine maker and a cheap skate. I've heard that you
> can use 2 common household items with a PH at approx 7 and 4 instead
> of the calibration packs. The hanna ph meter reads to 0.01 but is
> only accruate to plus/minus 0.2. So very good accuracy of the test
> solution isn't that important. A bottle of water (not tap) would work
> for the 7 range. Any ideas what could work for the higher acidic
> range? Windex, dish soap, Coke or Pepsi?? I guess you'd have to know
> what the PH of each was before you calibrate.

That doesn't work if you can't set the calibration value on the meter
to what the pH of yout household item "buffer" is - for example, for
cream of tartar solution you'd need to set the calibration point of
the pH meter to 3.53-3.55 instead of 4. You can't do that on pHep 5.

Where the cream of tartar can come in useful is in checking the
accuracy of the calibration. I ran into this actually on the weekend
because my buffers are well past the expiry date on the label, so I
measure a cream of tartar solution after calibration to make sure I
wouldn't dump in tartaric acid into a wine that didn't need it. It
measured at 3.55 so spot on.

Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I had no plans to make my own calibration solution.

I ordered new solutions, probe storage solution and a new probe.

My plan tonight.
Make new solutions and check old probe.

If it still has the error message then replace the probe and retest.

pp wrote:
> On Sep 10, 4:12 pm, hap > wrote:
>> On Sep 8, 12:32 pm, homebrewdude >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to calibrate my Hanna ph meter.
>>> I mixed up new solutions of 4.00 and 7.00
>>> I hold on till CAL shows up.
>>> It says "use" 7.01
>>> Then it says "use" "4.01"
>>> After a few seconds it says "WRNG"

>> Maybe the probe needs replacement?
>>
>> This makes me raise a question I was wondering about. Keep in mind
>> I'm small hobbist wine maker and a cheap skate. I've heard that you
>> can use 2 common household items with a PH at approx 7 and 4 instead
>> of the calibration packs. The hanna ph meter reads to 0.01 but is
>> only accruate to plus/minus 0.2. So very good accuracy of the test
>> solution isn't that important. A bottle of water (not tap) would work
>> for the 7 range. Any ideas what could work for the higher acidic
>> range? Windex, dish soap, Coke or Pepsi?? I guess you'd have to know
>> what the PH of each was before you calibrate.

> That doesn't work if you can't set the calibration value on the meter
> to what the pH of yout household item "buffer" is - for example, for
> cream of tartar solution you'd need to set the calibration point of
> the pH meter to 3.53-3.55 instead of 4. You can't do that on pHep 5.
>
> Where the cream of tartar can come in useful is in checking the
> accuracy of the calibration. I ran into this actually on the weekend
> because my buffers are well past the expiry date on the label, so I
> measure a cream of tartar solution after calibration to make sure I
> wouldn't dump in tartaric acid into a wine that didn't need it. It
> measured at 3.55 so spot on.
>
> Pp

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I used my Hanna buffer sachets 4.01 and 7.01
Meter gave the same error on calibration.

I changed the probe

Now it calibrates fine with no errors....

I also bought some pH storage solution. Hopefully I get more then 2
years on this probe.

Borek wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:18:53 +0200, RD > wrote:
>
>> They are stable for a pretty long time - afterall, they
>> are buffers.

> pH 4 buffers are stable, pH 7 more or less stable, pH 10 buffers are
> unstabel if they are not kept airtight. Once again that's CO2 in action.
>
> But you are absolutely right that it doesn't make sense to look for
> household items, as relatively precise buffers can be bought cheap.
>
> Borek

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 01:15:13 +0200, homebrewdude
> wrote:

> I changed the probe
>
> Now it calibrates fine with no errors....
>
> I also bought some pH storage solution. Hopefully I get more then 2
> years on this probe.

If you don't have storage solution you may use pH 7 buffer, the one used
for calibration. pH electrodes have limited lifespan, they are rarely
working than about a year. Sure, you may be lucky to have one that
survives longer

See more on the http://www.ph-meter.info/ site.

Borek

Hanna.... Steve Calvin Barbecue 5 06-09-2008 11:40 PM
calibration ? [email protected] Winemaking 7 18-09-2007 05:10 PM
$85 for PHEP 5 is this the best price? Steve Thompson Winemaking 1 23-07-2004 01:44 AM
PH meter calibration Jethro Winemaking 2 02-04-2004 10:37 PM
Hydrometer Calibration Documents Clyde Gill Winemaking 3 12-10-2003 09:03 PM