Old 16-04-2007, 06:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Synthetic corks and a refrigerator

Hi,
I have a regular refrigerator that I use to condition beer that I
brew. I use an external thermostat control (Johnson Controls
thermostat) so I can keep the temperature at about 60F. I've recently
started to make wine and I'd like to use this fridge as a place to
store my bottles. I know a major drawback to cellaring wine in a
fridge is drying out the cork. Do you think that is too long for a
real cork? What about synthetic cork? I plan on keeping wine for 1 to
2 years tops.

Thanks.
John

Old 16-04-2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
pp pp is offline

On Apr 16, 10:52 am, wrote:
Hi,
I have a regular refrigerator that I use to condition beer that I
brew. I use an external thermostat control (Johnson Controls
thermostat) so I can keep the temperature at about 60F. I've recently
started to make wine and I'd like to use this fridge as a place to
store my bottles. I know a major drawback to cellaring wine in a
fridge is drying out the cork. Do you think that is too long for a
real cork? What about synthetic cork? I plan on keeping wine for 1 to
2 years tops.

Thanks.
John

Synthetic cork is probably ok. You could also just use crown caps on
beer or sparkling bottles. How many bottles can you fit in?

Pp

Old 16-04-2007, 09:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Apr 16, 2:57 pm, "pp" wrote:
On Apr 16, 10:52 am, wrote:

Hi,
I have a regular refrigerator that I use to condition beer that I
brew. I use an external thermostat control (Johnson Controls
thermostat) so I can keep the temperature at about 60F. I've recently
started to make wine and I'd like to use this fridge as a place to
store my bottles. I know a major drawback to cellaring wine in a
fridge is drying out the cork. Do you think that is too long for a
real cork? What about synthetic cork? I plan on keeping wine for 1 to
2 years tops.

Thanks.
John

Synthetic cork is probably ok. You could also just use crown caps on
beer or sparkling bottles. How many bottles can you fit in?

Pp

I just got it so I'm not sure how many bottles will fit. It is a full
size fridge and I plan on modifying the shelves a bit.

Do bottles with synthetic corks need to be cellared on their side? If
they can be stored upright I'll be able to get more on shelves in the
door.

Thanks,
John

Old 17-04-2007, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
guy guy is offline

On Apr 16, 4:18 pm, wrote:
On Apr 16, 2:57 pm, "pp" wrote:

On Apr 16, 10:52 am, wrote:

[...]

John- Hide quoted text -

I read that synthetic corks don't require high humidity so storing
them upright is ok.

Guy

Old 17-04-2007, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Hmmm. Here is a totally different approach. I have not used it but in your
situation it might well work.

For only 1 or 2 years, the proper temperature is probably not that
important. The main probelm with storring at too high of a temerature is
that the wine will age too quickly. That can be a seriour problem over 5+
years but probably not for your period. It is also less of a problem if you
sore in bulk as bulk storage averages out day/night temperature swings. S

o here is what I would suggest. Do not bottle in the traditional manner at
all. Instead, store in 1 gallon jugs. Then get a batch of those plastic
bag, wine in a box type things. They are used extensively in Australia and
they really work very nicely. Get the ones good for 1 gallon. When you
rack off a batch of wine, put most of it in gallon jugs and put one gallon
in the bag for your fridge. These things should keep your wine for 6 months
or so. Just drink it up in that time. You see where I am going. You could
store 1 gallon at a time of each wine you make in the fridge so you can have
a glass of anything you want any time you want without opening a whole
bottle. Have a glass of 5 different wines in an evening if you want without
worrying about leftovers. It will not oxydise as it is never exposed to the
air. As a gallon is used up, rinse the bag and refill it from the gallon
jugs of the same wine.

Just a suggestion and one that I would consider. I am going to set up a
wine room in my new house this year and may well set up such a system.

Ray

ups.com...

Old 20-04-2007, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Apr 16, 8:26 pm, "guy" wrote:
On Apr 16, 4:18 pm, wrote:

On Apr 16, 2:57 pm, "pp" wrote:

On Apr 16, 10:52 am, wrote:

[...]

Guy- Hide quoted text -

You can store synthetics in any orientation. As to the corks, you can
just put a pan of water in the fridge to keep it humidified. I doubt
there will be a problem at that temperature anyway.

Joe

2 large sacks of bottle corks-Ebay-$25 per sack- 1000's of corks ! [email protected] Winemaking 4 10-03-2006 09:32 PM
2 large sacks of bottle corks-Ebay-$25 per sack- 1000's of corks ! [email protected] Beer 1 10-03-2006 09:30 PM
Synthetic corks Crhoff Winemaking 10 04-01-2006 08:18 PM
Synthetic corks by SupremeCork Henrique Ribeiro Wine 0 04-07-2005 04:05 PM
synthetic corks Andrew Winemaking 5 28-05-2004 05:53 PM