Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default avdice to novice, first batch with grapes, cab savi

So first time around (hopefully many more!) with grapes. 106 lbs.
Needed to fortify, added bit more corn sugar and Tartaric acid to
recommended numbers for cab sav. Primary ferm is complete, SG is .994,
really low. Beautiful red/purple, clear juice. The cap did not fall as
I was expecting, because of the low SG? Will press now, juice on the
skins with toasted oak chips for 2 weeks. The taste is fine but the
odor is very sharp, alcoholic - surprise! Smells like rubbing alcohol.
Too late for malo manipulation? Looking for best advice on the next
two or three steps. I have read the 'basics's but am looking to extend
my knowledge base with your fine guidance. Should I add more fresh oak
to the secondary fermenter? What are the preferred clarifiers?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Alta-
I made cab this year as well. Around the time of pressing my wine did
taste really hot (alcoholic) too. It also had a bit of fizziness due
to MLF. After pressing into carboys it taste a whole lot smoother in a
week or two. You might get other suggestions, but mine is to sit down
and read a good novel, then taste again.
Also, regarding chips. I don't think you can get enough oak out of the
chips in 2 weeks. I've had them soak in the wine for 3 months without
thinking it was too much. The packages of chips normally say soak for
4to 8 weeks, which leads me to believe that all the usefulness of the
chips is gone after 2 months. I expect to add more oak later. Maybe
use cubes next year instead.
Marc

altawine wrote:
> So first time around (hopefully many more!) with grapes. 106 lbs.
> Needed to fortify, added bit more corn sugar and Tartaric acid to
> recommended numbers for cab sav. Primary ferm is complete, SG is .994,
> really low. Beautiful red/purple, clear juice. The cap did not fall as
> I was expecting, because of the low SG? Will press now, juice on the
> skins with toasted oak chips for 2 weeks. The taste is fine but the
> odor is very sharp, alcoholic - surprise! Smells like rubbing alcohol.
> Too late for malo manipulation? Looking for best advice on the next
> two or three steps. I have read the 'basics's but am looking to extend
> my knowledge base with your fine guidance. Should I add more fresh oak
> to the secondary fermenter? What are the preferred clarifiers?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Two weeks is pretty short for oak contact but then it depends on your taste.
I know some who do not want oak to touch their wine and others who want it
to taste like sawn timber. I would use more. As far as clarifiers, Red
grape wine seldom, very seldom needs to be clarified. It should clear on
it's own. I would get some oak cubes (not flakes) and add it so a carboy
and let it sit on it for 3 months or more. But then I just bought my first
barrel! After 25 years of wine making? ;o)

Always try something new.

Ray

"altawine" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> So first time around (hopefully many more!) with grapes. 106 lbs.
> Needed to fortify, added bit more corn sugar and Tartaric acid to
> recommended numbers for cab sav. Primary ferm is complete, SG is .994,
> really low. Beautiful red/purple, clear juice. The cap did not fall as
> I was expecting, because of the low SG? Will press now, juice on the
> skins with toasted oak chips for 2 weeks. The taste is fine but the
> odor is very sharp, alcoholic - surprise! Smells like rubbing alcohol.
> Too late for malo manipulation? Looking for best advice on the next
> two or three steps. I have read the 'basics's but am looking to extend
> my knowledge base with your fine guidance. Should I add more fresh oak
> to the secondary fermenter? What are the preferred clarifiers?

Pu'erh Information for Novice parislexi Tea 4 09-01-2007 05:12 AM
Tea novice [email protected] Tea 12 06-12-2006 03:44 PM
help for novice Paul Winemaking 5 08-11-2006 11:23 PM
Risotto novice biig General Cooking 23 17-12-2005 06:51 PM
Batch to batch variability Leo Bueno Wine 11 26-11-2005 10:27 PM