Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
altawine altawine is offline

Default avdice to novice, first batch with grapes, cab savi

So first time around (hopefully many more!) with grapes. 106 lbs.
Needed to fortify, added bit more corn sugar and Tartaric acid to
recommended numbers for cab sav. Primary ferm is complete, SG is .994,
really low. Beautiful red/purple, clear juice. The cap did not fall as
I was expecting, because of the low SG? Will press now, juice on the
skins with toasted oak chips for 2 weeks. The taste is fine but the
odor is very sharp, alcoholic - surprise! Smells like rubbing alcohol.
Too late for malo manipulation? Looking for best advice on the next
two or three steps. I have read the 'basics's but am looking to extend
my knowledge base with your fine guidance. Should I add more fresh oak
to the secondary fermenter? What are the preferred clarifiers?