Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
[email protected] marcortins@verizon.net is offline

Default avdice to novice, first batch with grapes, cab savi

Alta-
I made cab this year as well. Around the time of pressing my wine did
taste really hot (alcoholic) too. It also had a bit of fizziness due
to MLF. After pressing into carboys it taste a whole lot smoother in a
week or two. You might get other suggestions, but mine is to sit down
and read a good novel, then taste again.
Also, regarding chips. I don't think you can get enough oak out of the
chips in 2 weeks. I've had them soak in the wine for 3 months without
thinking it was too much. The packages of chips normally say soak for
4to 8 weeks, which leads me to believe that all the usefulness of the
chips is gone after 2 months. I expect to add more oak later. Maybe
use cubes next year instead.
Marc