Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default shelf life of additives

I discovered a box in my attic that must have got stuck there when we
moved in 11+ years ago. In the box I found some extra wine & beer
making materials, including yeast energizer, grape tannin, calcium
carbonate, crystal malt, a bag of dried malt, and oak chips.

My first thought was to toss everything except the oak. But I figured
I'd ask if anyone knew the shelf life of things before doing so. I'd
rather not throw out anything good, but ruining a batch of *anything*
isn't worth it.

Thanks!
Bryan
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Jake Speed" > wrote in message
> I discovered a box in my attic that must have got stuck there when we
> moved in 11+ years ago. In the box I found some extra wine & beer
> making materials, including yeast energizer, grape tannin, calcium
> carbonate, crystal malt, a bag of dried malt, and oak chips.
>
> My first thought was to toss everything except the oak. But I figured
> I'd ask if anyone knew the shelf life of things before doing so. I'd
> rather not throw out anything good, but ruining a batch of *anything*
> isn't worth it.
>
> Thanks!
> Bryan

You haven't mentioned anything particularly expensive so I'd throw it
out. I have a cheapskate in me that's always trying to show his face. He's
telling me to save the tannin, CaCO3 and oak chips. Sugars and energizer get
spread on the parts of the lawn that deserve it. Maybe the malt would be
good on ice cream?

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Check Jack Kellers site. Somewhere on it is some pretty good info on shelf
life. It is not as long as you might think on most items.

Ray

"Jake Speed" > wrote in message
>I discovered a box in my attic that must have got stuck there when we
> moved in 11+ years ago. In the box I found some extra wine & beer
> making materials, including yeast energizer, grape tannin, calcium
> carbonate, crystal malt, a bag of dried malt, and oak chips.
>
> My first thought was to toss everything except the oak. But I figured
> I'd ask if anyone knew the shelf life of things before doing so. I'd
> rather not throw out anything good, but ruining a batch of *anything*
> isn't worth it.
>
> Thanks!
> Bryan

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Bryan,
toss and buy new. Actually, now is the best time to buy yeast with the
cooler temps. Apparently, the yeast packets we buy at winemaking supply
shops is no longer shipped in refridgerated trucks. So the potency of yeast
shipped during the summer months can be doubtful. Keep current materials in
your fridge, especially yeast and energizer. Other materails can be kept in
a cool, dry place. Garages are not good as they go through temperature
extremes.
Joanne

Shelf life? [email protected] Wine 8 11-11-2014 11:31 PM
Shelf life The Wolf Preserving 3 05-05-2010 03:30 AM
How do you tell the shelf life of a kit? arrassa Winemaking 2 19-03-2007 06:32 AM
Shelf life Zinc Potterman Preserving 7 20-07-2006 09:57 PM
Shelf life of ham Terry General Cooking 6 26-01-2006 12:03 AM