Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry

Default Shelf life of ham

Anyone know the refrigerated shelf life of sliced ham is? How about
bacon?
-
--
---
When replying by email please leave this signature intact.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Terry > wrote:

> Anyone know the refrigerated shelf life of sliced ham is? How about
> bacon?

Until they start to mold. Bacon - 3 or 4 weeks; ham probably the same.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Terry wrote:
> Anyone know the refrigerated shelf life of sliced ham is? How about
> bacon?

Packaged sliced bacon, once opened, properly refrigerated no more than
a week.

Deli sliced ham about 4-5 days the most, although no more than 3 days
is best...and this assumes your particular deli practices good food
safety habits... sliced cold cuts have a very short refrigerator shelf
life, probably more than half the delis in the US sell cold cuts that
are badly contaminated from the get-go just from filthy slicers alone.
A good practice is to not buy more cold cuts than you can reasonably
consume within 48 hours... believe me, in the US there'll be plenty to
buy tomorrow, cold cuts coming out the kazoos...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
explorer50

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> Terry > wrote:
>
> > Anyone know the refrigerated shelf life of sliced ham is? How about
> > bacon?

> Until they start to mold. Bacon - 3 or 4 weeks; ham probably the same.

I agree to with Connie, as long as either is of the smoked version.
Most bacon is smoked. Be careful with ham, some is not smoked and will
have a shorter shelf life.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

explorer50 wrote:

> Ias long as either is of the smoked version.
> Most bacon is smoked.
> Be careful with ham, some is not smoked and will
> have a shorter shelf life.

Smoked does not necessarily have anything to do with the shelf life of
cured meats... how much chemical sure and degree of moisture have far
more to do with shelf life, other than flavoring smoking may or may not
have any effect.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Edwin Pawlowski

"explorer50" > wrote in message

> I agree to with Connie, as long as either is of the smoked version.
> Most bacon is smoked. Be careful with ham, some is not smoked and will
> have a shorter shelf life.

Curing, not smoking is the key. I know one fellow that has hams hanging for
years, not smoked at all.
http://www.velvitoil.com/CountryHam.htm

I've eaten Dan's three year old hams. Fantastic stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
djs0302

Terry wrote:
> Anyone know the refrigerated shelf life of sliced ham is? How about
> bacon?
> -
> --
> ---
> When replying by email please leave this signature intact.

It depends on whether or not water has been added to the product. Any
meat product with water added to it will have a much shorter shelf life
than the same product without added water.

Shelf life? [email protected] Wine 8 11-11-2014 11:31 PM
Shelf life The Wolf Preserving 3 05-05-2010 03:30 AM
Shelf life SteveB[_2_] General Cooking 64 19-12-2008 08:24 PM
How do you tell the shelf life of a kit? arrassa Winemaking 2 19-03-2007 06:32 AM
What is the shelf life for..... dizzi Preserving 6 18-08-2004 06:13 AM