Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Manual Crusher/destemmer

Hello,
I have been renting a motorized machine but at $40 a pop it is
adding up. I found a used manual crusher/destemmer for about half the
price of a new one, but I don't know how practical it is for doing a
1000-1300 lbs of grapes? I do have about 4-5 helpers. What is the
most anyone has done with one of these machines and how long did it
take?
Thank You,
Alex

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

This year I crushed 32 boxes using a manual crusher (no destemmer). We
could put one box in the hopper and crank it through. One persone would
crank, the other would sift through the out put and pull out the stems.
We processed 32 cases in about 2.5-3 hrs.

wrote:
> Hello,
> I have been renting a motorized machine but at $40 a pop it is
> adding up. I found a used manual crusher/destemmer for about half the
> price of a new one, but I don't know how practical it is for doing a
> 1000-1300 lbs of grapes? I do have about 4-5 helpers. What is the
> most anyone has done with one of these machines and how long did it
> take?
> Thank You,
> Alex

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In 2004, we processed about 2000 pounds in 3 hours with a few of us really
cranking hard.

Bought the 1hP crusher/destemmer in 2005 and process 3500lb in 1.75 hours.
I'll never go back to manual but keep it around in case we've a huge problem
with the motorized.

oups.com...