Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: ESJ, Pfalz kab, Gavi, Contra Costa

With Betsy away, friends called to invite me for dinner on a couple
nights:

With pasta with pesto, the 2004 Piccollo Gavi di Gavi. Light lemon and
apple flavors, a light whiff of mineral. A little lacking in
concentration, and short on finish. Quaffable but a little dull. B-/C+

With bbq chicken, rice & peas, and asparagus, the 2003 Trinitas Old
Vine Cuvee (Contra Costa). A kitchen sink of grapes, including
Zinfandel, Carignan, & Alicante (and a few others, maybe Mataro?). Low
expectations, but this is actually a pretty flavorful wine. Rich dark
berry fruit, some toasted oak notes, quite ripe. Winesearcher says this
is $16-20. At that price, this is a pretty decent substitute for a
Gigondas, though clearly New World. B

Also over last few nights ,
1999 Edmunds St. John Rocks and Gravel
Picked up in a closeout bin for cheap. Not faded at all, ripe but with
balance and a clean finish. Pretty wine with notes of earth, sweet
herbs, and leather adding complexity. B+

2004 Darting Dürkheimer Michelsberg Riesling Kabinett
If you buy this expecting a lightfooted Kabinett, you're screwed. But
for what it is quite nice. Peach fruit with orange zest, quite sweet
but with a backbone of acidity. Nothing subtle here, but definite QPR
here at $12. B

TN: Chablis, Beaujolais, Gavi DaleW Wine 0 27-03-2011 02:02 AM
[TN] Gavi Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 03-12-2009 01:02 PM
TN: Wines on a summer eve (Gavi, PG, SB, Bdx, Zin) DaleW Wine 2 28-07-2009 05:38 PM
TN: Grignolino, CA PN, Pfalz DaleW Wine 0 11-03-2009 06:05 PM
TN: Christmas Wines (mostly PN, plus Puligny, Gavi, Champagne) DaleW Wine 1 27-12-2007 01:44 AM