Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Grignolino, CA PN, Pfalz

Betsy had an evening rehearsal, and no time to cook. so I grabbed a
pizza on way home to have a chance for a quick early dinner with her.
Wine was the 2007 Cascina Del Frate Grignolino D'asti. Comes across as
light, though there are some apparent tannins (unusual for Grignolino
in my limited experience). Raspberries and strawberries, some spicy
notes. Good acidity, fresh, floral. Not for those searching for lush
fruit bombs, but I enjoyed with the pizza. B

With sausages, salad, and steamed vegetables, the 1997 Williams-Selyem
Pinot Noir (Sonoma County). I had been eyeing some 2002/2003 WSs that
I recently acquired, but they are in the "rest" pile. So I went with
this one. Personally, I was a little worried that this might be
pushing it for a base level bottling. This is actually quite nice,
ripe raspberries and cherries, some gingersnap spices, modest acidity.
Juicy and ready, some earth and tea notes on finish. I'm quite
pleased. As night rolls on it begins to crack up a bit- the acidity
seems to spike and become a bit disjointed, the fruit gets a bit
maderized/pruney with time. Fading fast, but for first 2 hours B+/A-

Over 4 nights, the 2007 Darting Dürkheimer Michelsberg Riesling
Kabinett*(Pfalz). OK, on night one I found this pretty disappointing.
Tropical and lush, seems lacking in acidic spine. But day 2 seemed
much more lively- some candied orange slices, citric acidity, longer
finish. Day 3 seemed much the same, by 4 it was fading. I don't buy as
much Darting as I used to - my tastes have gravitated more towards the
Mosel/Saar end of the spectrum- but this is pretty decent value for
the money. B

*

TN: Chablis and Pfalz DaleW Wine 0 25-03-2016 06:32 PM
Another Grignolino DaleW Wine 0 07-02-2008 08:51 PM
TN: Grignolino and Touraine SB DaleW Wine 0 11-01-2008 06:27 PM
TN 2004 La Cassaccia Grignolino DaleW Wine 1 04-09-2007 09:08 PM
TN: Borgogno Grignolino with Indian chicken DaleW Wine 7 03-05-2006 02:21 AM