Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN (red) Meursault Clos de Mazeray 1979, Domaine Jacques Prieur

The Meursault Clos de Mazeray 1979, Domaine Jacques Prieur, was
properly stored since shortly after release, the fill was good, and the
cork was sound.

Where I live, red Meursault seldom is seen. The bottle I opened still
is holding quite well. It has plenty of fruit, reminding me most of a
mix of dark and red cherries. There is a hint of something floral. It
is of medium weight, somewhat fuller than a good Volnay, but not nearly
as full as some Pommard. There is only a little medium tannin. The
color is fairly light, but shows little age. There is enough acid. The
wine is smooth and easy to drink. While not a great Burgundy, it is
quite good, especially with food. I have paid more for Burgundy that
was not as good as this one. It cost under US$ 20 shortly after
release.

Posted to alt.food.wine
TB TB is offline

cwdjrxyz wrote:
> The Meursault Clos de Mazeray 1979, Domaine Jacques Prieur, was
> properly stored since shortly after release, the fill was good, and the
> cork was sound.
>
> Where I live, red Meursault seldom is seen.

Aren't red wines from Meursault geographical region now sold under the
Appelation Volnay-Santenot?

Cheers

> The bottle I opened still
> is holding quite well. It has plenty of fruit, reminding me most of a
> mix of dark and red cherries. There is a hint of something floral. It
> is of medium weight, somewhat fuller than a good Volnay, but not nearly
> as full as some Pommard. There is only a little medium tannin. The
> color is fairly light, but shows little age. There is enough acid. The
> wine is smooth and easy to drink. While not a great Burgundy, it is
> quite good, especially with food. I have paid more for Burgundy that
> was not as good as this one. It cost under US$ 20 shortly after
> release.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"TB" > wrote:

> Aren't red wines from Meursault geographical region now sold
> under the Appelation Volnay-Santenot?

Not all of them, but most: Those at the northern end of Meursault,
coming from the Santenots and Les Plures vineyards. Then there
are two small plots north-east of the village which make red
Meursault; and there is red "Blagny Premier Cru" at the southern
end next to Puligny.

M.