Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Puligny-Montrachet Clavoillon 1979, Domaine Leflaive

The single bottle of Puligny-Montrachet Clavoillon 1979, Domaine
Leflaive, was bought soon after release and stored properly since.
Domaine Leflaive had a very good reputation in the 70s, but this wine
would not be expected to be of the class of their Chevalier-Montrachet
from better years. However I found the level 3 in. below the cork, so
I was expecting to have to discard the wine. However closer inspection
showed the wine was clear and not dark. Also there was no evidence of
leakage around the cork. There was a very narrow groove on the outside
of the cork. Apparently this was enough to allow very slow evaporation
over many years, but it was too small to allow gross leakage of
liquid. To my great surprise, the wine was very good. It had a lemon
color, no brown, and was very clear. It still had good fruit, the
right balance of acidity, and high extract. The finish was very long.
In fact it was far better than many wines from more famous vineyards
of the era. Since I only bought 1 bottle, I can not compare with a
bottle that has no issues.

Somewhat OT: Just as I was about to send this post, the doorbell rang,
and I received the most difficult-to-find wine I have ever sought. I
now have a bottle of Szepsy Tokaji Essenzia 1999. It contains only 2%
alcohol because of the very high sugar content. It was at a wine firm
in France. I earlier located a bottle in Poland, but the store did not
ship.

1995 Puligny Montrachet Bi!! Wine 0 11-06-2012 02:41 PM
2002 Dom. Leflaive Batard Montrachet Bi!! Wine 0 03-05-2011 04:24 PM
TN Clos des Capucins 1979 Riesling Reserve 1979, Domaine Weinbach cwdjrxyz Wine 0 03-10-2007 04:11 AM
1995 Domaine Leflaive Puligny Montrachet les Pucelles Bi!! Wine 6 24-01-2007 09:34 PM
1992 Dom. Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet "les Pucelles" Bi!! Wine 7 13-12-2006 08:58 PM