Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Piemonte Notes

Notes from a Piemontese theme evening.

2004 Cascina del Santuario Moscato d'Asti - when drunk fairly
young, these low alcohol (5%) sparkling muscats are delightful
frivolous wines, especially in summer used as aperitifs. This one was
well balanced and had the requisite acidity to carry off the modest
residual sugar cleanly.

1999 Monti Barbera d'Alba - I'd anticipated a whack of Barbaresco
and Barolo, but we were Barbera-rich at this event. Purple to the rim,
with a nice nose featuring new oak and sweet currant, this is not your
typical old style Barbera. Traditional sorts would ride on seemingly
forever on the high acidity rather than tannin, but this example was
lower in acidity than the old style and had lavish fruit in comparison.
The tannins were present but moderate and I think this one will benefit
by early drinking ocver the next few years.

2000 Giullio Grasso 'Ca' del Baco' Barbaresco Asili - made by,
this wine showed a good varietal nose with tar and some cherry, the
wine still quite tannic but showing an elegance that should bode well
for the future.

1985 Bricco del Drago Vigna Le Mace (VdT) - a wine from the past -
I hadn't seen this in years although it use to be available locally.
A blend of dolcetto and nebbiolo, this ages better than any dolcetto
you have ever seen - nose of vanilla, cedar, roses and road tar, and
still with amazing tannins, this was in great shape and food toned down
the assertive acidity nicely. Nice to see this again.

1996 Marchesi di Gresy Barbaresco Gaiun Martinenga - bright colour,
sweet earthy nose that later revealed some floral notes, and the wine
tight as can be and tannic - a wait and see wine as it isn't in
balance right now but will hopefully 'click in' given more time.

1999 Gaja Sitorey - another Barbera, from a noted producer. Sweet
blood nose with dark plum and a hint of bret, which blew off early, the
wine fairly smooth and long, with relatively low acidity.

2000 Gaja Sito Moresco - this one is blended nebbiolo and cab/merlot,
and the wine had a sweeter nose with more bret, higher acidity, and
fell off more quickly on the finish narrowing at the end.

1989 Borgogno Barolo Riserva - a traditional maker founded in the
late 18th century, making traditional wines. The rim on this was
heading for garnet and the colour was lighter than the other. The nose,
which I found a bit reticent did have some perfume but none of the
earthy gaminess I associate with this wine. Decent balance, still
tannic, and tight. I looked up a previous note and the fruit didn't
begin to exhibit until it had about 4 hours of air - which I didn't
have the opportunity to do on this occasion.

Piemonte and Tuscany Bill S. Wine 4 02-05-2012 04:14 PM
Claret, Piemonte, and Grahams at Lunch Bill S. Wine 0 03-09-2011 07:19 PM
Tajarin egg yolk pasta from Piemonte Giusi[_2_] General Cooking 6 11-03-2009 09:17 AM
Visiting wine estates in Piemonte Dallas wine lover Wine 14 16-02-2005 07:53 PM
[TN] 5 from Piemonte Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 2 28-01-2004 06:23 PM