Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Claret, Piemonte, and Grahams at Lunch

Blind tasting lunch notes.

2010 Ch. La Gravette (Minervois) – this light pink Rose had a very
pleasant strawberry nose and was soft and inviting.

2004 Jean Marc Brocard Chablis Gr. Cru Le Clos – ripe tropical fruit
on this wine, rich in the mouth, softer than expected and more like a
junior league white Burg.

2010 Le Vieux Pin Sauvignon Blanc – from one of BC’s most exacting
perfectionist wineries, this showed both grassy and gooseberry notes
in the nose, was crisp and well defined on palate and had a nicely
balanced lengthy finish. This has displaced my previous favourite as
best sauv blanc made in BC!

2008 La Stella Allegretto Merlot – from another winery owned by the
Vieux Pin group, this merlot showed sweet vanilla in the nose, was
still fairly tannic in the mouth and some good flavours, although
right now I found the oak a bit overpowering.

1985 Chalone Pinot Noir Estate – brought on spec by someone that had
picked this up on the chance it might still be good – and it was.
Browning edges, and excellent slightly funky pinot nose with tar
hints, and smooth on palate with good length. Predictably faded in the
glass, but fun while it lasted.

2000 Kettle Valley Pinot Noir – we were getting our BC content today!
Dark colour put me off for a second as far as thinking about PN, but
the minute I stuck my nose in the glass, I was headed toward new world
pinot. Rich nose with floral highlights, good acidity and soft
tannins. Drinking well now.

2001 Ca’ Marcanda Promis – Gaja’s blend of merlot, syrah and
sangiovese, the wine had deep colour, a nice nose of pure berries with
a hint of spice as well as a green tinge, and was soft and youthful
with a balanced finish.

1997 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Falletto "Rabaja" Riserva – good legs,
slightly browning edges, lovely classic nose of roses and tar, well
balanced, good length. Lovely Barbaresco that the person who brought
it had decanted earlier in the day (at which time he stated it had
been tighter than….). If you open these, give them time in the
decanter!

2000 Siro Pacente Brunello – we were getting some nice Italian content
here! Deep colour, a black olive and tar nose, dry finish, very
classy wine, and atypically traditional from this producer.

1990 Ch. La Louviere – clean fruit in the nose, which seemed to go a
bit underground after a first good whiff after opening, smooth entry,
tannin very soft, good acidity, an elegant classic claret.

1985 Ch. Clerc Milon – slightly funky nose changed to fairly straight
ahead Bordeaux with a green tinge after airing. Good structure, a bit
soft and with medium length and a level of fruit that made me wonder
if it wasn’t better a bit earlier in life, nonetheless enjoyable now.

1991 Grahams Port – this one fooled us all as it didn’t show the
typical sugar levels that Grahams usually has. Hot in nose, and in the
finish, it was medium sweet with excellent body and good length.

Piemonte and Tuscany Bill S. Wine 4 02-05-2012 04:14 PM
Piemonte Notes Bill S. Wine 0 22-02-2006 03:25 PM
[TN] 5 from Piemonte Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 2 28-01-2004 06:23 PM
TN 75 Grahams John Taverner Wine 0 24-01-2004 11:52 AM
TN: Leoville LC-82, Grahams -70 Anders Tørneskog Wine 0 03-01-2004 03:46 PM