Nils Gustaf Lindgren

Default [TN] 5 from Piemonte

Hello;
Friday, the Society of Tastevins in Helsingborg had a tasting with wines
from Piemonte as theme. One flight of 5 wines, all red, most in the slightly
higher priced zone.
Lighting was a bit poor, so evaluations of color and related are uncertain.
Mostly, there was little visible difference between the wines which all were
on the dark, opaque and young-looking side
1 Dolcetto di Dogliano Rumanot 2000
[C] Most obviously bluish purple, very dark
[N] A bit coarse, mineral, hints of honey, and horse stable, and a fragrance
of mint
[P] Very very tannic, with accompanying acidity, a sort of generic
fruitiness but coarse
Overall impression: This wine fairly screamed for accomapnying food, grilled
beef or similar. According to the master of ceremonies, hints of raspberries
and blueberries should have been prominent - I failed to identify them.
SEK 79
2 Barbera d´Alba Aldo Conterno 2000
[C] SLightly lighter than 1.
[N] Here, also, I found honey and minerals. It came over as very closed in
the nose
[P] Vanilla, lots of dark fruit, nice tannines in balance with a fresh
acidity, blackberries
Overall impression: Despite the dumb nose, very enjoyable and quite
approachable. Definitely a wine to put down for a longish time. Here, I
missed the violets.
SEK 239

3. Sori Paitin Barabresco 1999
[C] This was the darkest of the lot
[N] Oddly smelling of old Danish cheese (Havarti), lots of oak, very
generous, dried fruit (figs and similar), very concentrated,anise or
liquorice, violets?
[P] Violets, vanilla, senega (traditional Swedish cough drops, if you don´t
know), fruity but astringent - you get the feeling that the tannines sort of
shut down the fruit
Overall impression: Wonderful wine, certainly for long keeping, real class
SEK 499

4 Seghesio Barolo La VIlla 1998
[N] Anonymous nose, coarse, floral, acidity
[P]Violets, vanilla, generous, dark fruit, very good persistance
Overall impression: This one tastes better than it smells.
SEK 495

5 Monsordo 2000 Ceretto
[N] Cow´s stable and manure, senega again
[P] Rich blueberries, leather, fresh acidity
OVerall impression: Despite the oddly described nose, very approachable
blend of nebbiolo, cab, pinot noir, and merlot.
SEK 289

This tasting was my first real Piemonte tasting. I´ve had the odd Barolo
before, but nothing like the 3 and 4 here. It was also very clear that
these were not wines to sip in an easy chair while contemplating Mozart -
these were all beast that wanted to be fed - preferably red meat, or game.
These were wines to have with a _meal_. Most likely, a meal in 5 or ten
years time.

There are currently about SEK 7,20 to a USD, and SEK 9.20 to an EU.

Cheers

Nils Gustaf
--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Dale Williams

In article >, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> writes:

>1 Dolcetto di Dogliano Rumanot 2000
>[P] Very very tannic, with accompanying acidity, a sort of generic
>fruitiness but coarse

I''m a little surprised by the acidity, but traditional Dolcettos can be quite
tannic (which is why when people compare Dolcetto to Beaujolais I get confused)

>3. Sori Paitin Barabresco 1999
>[N] Oddly smelling of old Danish cheese (Havarti), lots of oak, very
>generous, dried fruit (figs and similar), very concentrated,anise or
>liquorice, violets?
>[P] Violets, vanilla, senega (traditional Swedish cough drops, if you don´t
>know), fruity but astringent - you get the feeling that the tannines sort of
>shut down the fruit
>Overall impression: Wonderful wine, certainly for long keeping, real class

I've seen this around, thanks for notes

>This tasting was my first real Piemonte tasting. I´ve had the odd Barolo
>before, but nothing like the 3 and 4 here. It was also very clear that
>these were not wines to sip in an easy chair while contemplating Mozart -
>these were all beast that wanted to be fed - preferably red meat, or game.
>These were wines to have with a _meal_. Most likely, a meal in 5 or ten
>years time.

Good summary! Piemontese wines can sing with food, not my idea of a wine to sip
by itself. Thanks as always for the notes.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
RV WRLee

>Good summary! Piemontese wines can sing with food, not my idea of a wine to
>sip
>by itself. Thanks as always for the notes.

Actually, I had two recently that could be enjoyed on their own, though they
each went quite well with food.
1999 Elio Grasso Barolo Ginestra Vigna Casa Mate and 1997 Paitin Barberesco
Sori Paitin. Both about $45.00 USD on release.
Bi!!

Piemonte and Tuscany Bill S. Wine 4 02-05-2012 04:14 PM
Claret, Piemonte, and Grahams at Lunch Bill S. Wine 0 03-09-2011 07:19 PM
Tajarin egg yolk pasta from Piemonte Giusi[_2_] General Cooking 6 11-03-2009 09:17 AM
Piemonte Notes Bill S. Wine 0 22-02-2006 03:25 PM
Visiting wine estates in Piemonte Dallas wine lover Wine 14 16-02-2005 07:53 PM