Dallas wine lover

Default Visiting wine estates in Piemonte

My wife and I are planning a trip to Northern Italy next year and hope to
visit several wineries in the Piemonte area. I read another post that
suggested it was difficult to arrange visits like this in Italy. We've never
had a problem in the other wine areas we've been to (South Africa, Bordeaux,
Tuscany, Napa/Sonoma).

Are wineries in Piemonte open for visits and are there ones you would
recommend?

tile

well
for sure there is a famous town.
they even made a film out of it

it was called

the secret of santa vittoria
( if i well remember Anthony Quinn was one of the characters.. )

it should be
santa vittoria d'alba
where the locals successfully hid millions of bottles of Cinzano and Martini
from the thirsty nazi germans..

the most famous wine in Piemonte is Barolo..
Piemonte is famous for heavy red wines and Champagne
type wines.. called in italian vino spumante
( it is forbidden to use the word Champagne.. )

the centre of wines is the town of Asti.. or also the
hills of Monferrato.
for sure internet pages will help you
"Dallas wine lover" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> My wife and I are planning a trip to Northern Italy next year and hope to
> visit several wineries in the Piemonte area. I read another post that
> suggested it was difficult to arrange visits like this in Italy. We've

never
> had a problem in the other wine areas we've been to (South Africa,

Bordeaux,
> Tuscany, Napa/Sonoma).
>
> Are wineries in Piemonte open for visits and are there ones you would
> recommend?

Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Thu, 16 Dec 2004 01:46:14 GMT schrieb Dallas wine lover:

> My wife and I are planning a trip to Northern Italy next year and hope to
> visit several wineries in the Piemonte area. I

AFAIK you can visit Giordano, which is one of the biggest wineries in the
area:
http://www.giordano-vini.com/

Regards,

Frank
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Thu, 16 Dec 2004 01:46:14 GMT schrieb Dallas wine lover:

> My wife and I are planning a trip to Northern Italy next year and hope to
> visit several wineries in the Piemonte area. I

AFAIK you can visit Giordano, which is one of the biggest wineries in the
area:
http://www.giordano-vini.com/

Regards,

Frank
A N Other

<< My wife and I are planning a trip to Northern Italy next year and hope to
visit several wineries in the Piemonte area. I read another post that
suggested it was difficult to arrange visits like this in Italy. We've
never
had a problem in the other wine areas we've been to (South Africa,
Bordeaux,
Tuscany, Napa/Sonoma).

Are wineries in Piemonte open for visits and are there ones you would
recommend?>>

I think you may find wine growers in Piemonte are more reluctant than other
areas to have people clomping about on their growing areas. This is for a
variety of reasons, some of which a

1. They really don't need to try and encourage you to buy their products
through offering visits since the wine from this area has a high esteem in
the world, generally, and it sells with little help from the growers.

2. Most of it is grown on small and very expensive plots by the producers
themselves and a few other helpers, often family. There is not the same
concentration of large conglomerates which you get in other parts of Italy.
They don't have the resources to waste on hosting visitors. Fontanafredd, a
large producer, might be the exception. This site will give you more info:
http://www.piemonteonline.it/TOURin_wineCastle.htm

3. Since you have visited many other wineries, e.g. South Africa, Bordeaux,
Tuscany, Napa/Sonoma, you probably know as much as you are ever going to
know about wine production so it isn't going to be to be a very big
deprivation if you don't get to stroll around the vines.

I would suggest you look at the wine outlets rather than the producers, it
is likely to be far more rewarding.

Someone, in another reply, suggested that the most famous wine of the area
is Barolo. Like most generalisations put forward on this forum, it is a very
subjective opinion and, I might suggest, erroneous. Certainly it is the most
widely promoted in the US but there are many fine wines from this Region. My
own personal preference is Baberesco, a much better drink
altogether.Incidentally, Barolo and Baberesco are made from the same Grape,
Nebbiolo"

The Langhe hills is pretty much the centre of wine production and it is a
very pleasant part of Italy to visit. Some towns you might like to have a
look at a

Barberesco. Surrounded, mostly to the south, by neat little vineyards. In
the village there is an Enoteca converted from a defrocked church which will
give you all the information you need about who might let you visit. The big
name here is Angelo Gaja although there is also a co-operative, Produttori
del Barbaresco, one of the few in Italy which works well and produces
outstanding quality. Their cellars are just a few doors up from Gaja's on
the main street and are usually open for the sale of the odd few bottles. A
good place to pas a hot afternoon.

Naive. Another very attractive little town. The big name here, and very well
deserved, is Castello di Neive who's claim to fame is a brew of Barberesco
called "Santo Stefano". The oddity in this town is that the local Priest
makes, or did make last time I was there, wine in the cellars of the Parish
Church. This is more noted for it's unusual provenance than for it's quality
but it is certainly a conversation piece. By the church is an excellent
restaurant, who's name escapes me but you can't miss it, where you could
spend a very pleasant hour or two over lunch.

Asti. A big-ish town with an old Centro. It is the place to go for sparkling
wine, "Asti Spumanti" and "Moscato d 'Asti". Of the two, I prefer Moscato as
it seems to have a much more fruity taste.

Barolo. Not much to see here. Lots of hidden money.

Here is a list, taken from the regional web site which might help you.

REGIONAL WINE SHOPS
a.. CASTELLO GRINZANE CAVOUR: seat of the first regional wine shop
established in 1967. Tel. 0173/262159.(My favourite) see:
http://www.piemonteonline.it/pol_vin...eno_cavour.htm
b..
c.. CASTELLO FALLETTI DI BAROLO: regional wine shop dedicated exclusively
to Barolo. Tel. 0173/56277.
d.. BARBARESCO - EX CHIESA DI S. DONATO: here you can find everything
about Barbaresco. Tel. 0173/635251.
e.. CASTLE OF COSTIGLIOLE: you can get the best wines from the areas of
Asti and Monferrato.
f.. CASTLE OF MANGO: it houses a completely "sweet" wine shop, dedicated
almost exclusively to Moscato and superior dessert wines. Tel. 0141/89291.
g.. ENOTECA DELLA TERRE D'ORO DI CANELLI: dedicated to Asti Spumante and
Moscato. Tel. 0141/820231.
h.. PALAZZO ROBELLINI DI ACQUI TERME: specialized in Brachetto and Gavi.
Tel. 0144/770273.
i.. PALAZZO CALLORI A VIGNALE MONFERRATO: Barbera and Grignolino are the
undisputed protagonists here. Tel. 0142/933243.
j.. ENOTECA DELLA SERRA DEL CASTELLO DI ROPPOLO CANAVESE: it has an
interesting section of Erbaluce di Caluso and Carema. Tel. 0161/98501.
k.. ENOTECA DI GATTINARA: specialized in wines of Northern Piedmont. Tel.
0163/834070.
l.. ENOTECA DI CANALE: dedicated to the wines of Roero.
LOCAL WINE SHOPS
The most typical local wine shops a

a.. The "Brachetteria" - Quaranti.
Tel. 0141/793939.
b.. La Bottega del Vino - Nieve
Tel. 0173/67004.
c.. The "Signora in Rosso" Nizza Monferrato
dedicated to Barbera Tel. 0141/793550.
d.. La Cantina - Portacomaro
dedicated to Grignolino Tel. 0141/202660.
e.. La Bottega del Vino - Moncucco Torinese
specialized in Freisa and Malvasia. Tel. 011/9874765.
f.. La Bottega di Dogliani
dedicated to the Dolcetto with the same name
Tel. 0173/70107.
Hope this helps.

Ian Millward
Edinburgh

Vincent

"A N Other" wrote in message

> I think you may find wine growers in Piemonte are more reluctant than

other
> areas to have people clomping about on their growing areas. This is for a
> variety of reasons, some of which a
>
> 1. They really don't need to try and encourage you to buy their products
> through offering visits since the wine from this area has a high esteem in
> the world, generally, and it sells with little help from the growers.

I was to NE Italy a few years back (not Piemonte), but this sounds very
similar. Not to be discouraged, however, as the "non-touristy" aspect was,
for me, the best part of the visits. NOTHING like Napa.

> 2. Most of it is grown on small and very expensive plots by the producers
> themselves and a few other helpers, often family. There is not the same
> concentration of large conglomerates which you get in other parts of

Italy.
> They don't have the resources to waste on hosting visitors. <snip>

Exactly what makes them great. We stayed at a B&B outside a town called
Conegliano. There they produce a sparkling white called Prosecco. The owners
were more than accomodating, tayloring our visit to anything we wanted!!
This included cooking classes in the afternoon, dinner in the evening
(eating what we cooked), and of course, sampling the various wines that they
and nearby produces/growers offered. It wasn't like we were tourists at some
winery, but guests in their home. No facade.

> 3. Since you have visited many other wineries, e.g. South Africa,

Bordeaux,
> Tuscany, Napa/Sonoma, you probably know as much as you are ever going to
> know about wine production so it isn't going to be to be a very big
> deprivation if you don't get to stroll around the vines.
>
> I would suggest you look at the wine outlets rather than the producers, it
> is likely to be far more rewarding.

The pleasure of meeting nature (even if it is *again*) can never be matched
in a shop. To get up close to the very grapes that will eventually produce a
wonderful product (the same product which you enjoyed an earlier vintage of
the evening before) never gets boring (at least not for me). I hope to visit
more parts of Europe and do the very same thing in the years ahead.

> Someone, in another reply, suggested that the most famous wine of the area
> is Barolo. Like most generalisations put forward on this forum, it is a

very
> subjective opinion and, I might suggest, erroneous. Certainly it is the

most
> widely promoted in the US but there are many fine wines from this Region.

My
> own personal preference is Baberesco, a much better drink
> altogether.Incidentally, Barolo and Baberesco are made from the same

Grape,
> Nebbiolo"

Whenever I here the phrase "most famous" it always raises a red flag. Who
wants all the other tourists around anyway? At the B&B we stayed at in
Conegliano, it was just us and a couple from Germany. Bigger more famous
places may have more grapes to see (as well as more restrictions as to what
you are permitted to do), but bigger isn't always better. There, I was able
to wake up at 6AM, walk outside all by myself, and take a self-guided tour
as I strolled through their vineyard, without so much as raising an eyebrow.
Try doing THAT at a famous winery. ;-)

<snip>

Try to Google Piemonte, B&B, and vineyard, especially if you haven't booked
a place to stay yet. Here's one that I just found. But there has to be many
more.... http://www.cascinavalgranocchio.com/pages/1/

\/

Vincent

"A N Other" wrote in message

> [...]

Grape,
> Nebbiolo"

Whenever I here the phrase "most famous" it always raises a red flag. Who
wants all the other tourists around anyway? At the B&B we stayed at in
Conegliano, it was just us and a couple from Germany. Bigger more famous
places may have more grapes to see (as well as more restrictions as to what
you are permitted to do), but bigger isn't always better. There, I was able
to wake up at 6AM, walk outside all by myself, and take a self-guided tour
as I strolled through their vineyard, without so much as raising an eyebrow.
Try doing THAT at a famous winery. ;-)

<snip>

Try to Google Piemonte, B&B, and vineyard, especially if you haven't booked
a place to stay yet. Here's one that I just found. But there has to be many

Giorgio68

Dallas wine lover wrote:
> My wife and I are planning a trip to Northern Italy next year and hope to
> visit several wineries in the Piemonte area. I read another post that
> suggested it was difficult to arrange visits like this in Italy. We've never
> had a problem in the other wine areas we've been to (South Africa, Bordeaux,
> Tuscany, Napa/Sonoma).
>
> Are wineries in Piemonte open for visits and are there ones you would
> recommend?

Take a look he

http://www.movimentoturismovino.it/regione.php?regio=02

All the wineries described above are glad to let you visit their estates.

"Movimento turismo del vino" is a consortium between wineries which is
intended to spread the tourism about wine.

Believe me you are not right about the difficult to visit wine estates.

The problems often are caused by lack of people that speak english.

Finally I suggest you to visit "Enoteca Regionale del Barolo" in Barolo.

Have a nice trip in Italy, and visit Valpolicella too

--
Giorgio68
Giorgio68

Dallas wine lover wrote:

> Are wineries in Piemonte open for visits and are there ones you would
> recommend?

Hi!
There is a really lovely small winery called Pin Bologna located in
Rochetta Tanaro, near Asti. The owners could not be more friendly, and
they have guestrooms for rent (which are very nice). They have a
website: www.pinbologna.com. Once there, they can direct you to
other great wineries to visit as well as restaurants in the region.
Another winery which is amenable to visitors is Marchese di Barolo.
Just be sure to email or call in advance.

In general, if you are polite and respectful and try to contact a
winery in advance, you can usually visit. One big exception to this
rule is Gaja. It's kind of fun to go to the winery just to see the
sign on the door which basically says "forget about it", in 8 different
languages.

Best of luck,
e.

punk

In Piemonte, shouldn't you say both Barolo and Barbaresco?

"tile" > wrote in message
> well
> for sure there is a famous town.
> they even made a film out of it
>
> it was called
>
> the secret of santa vittoria
> ( if i well remember Anthony Quinn was one of the characters.. )
>
> it should be
> santa vittoria d'alba
> where the locals successfully hid millions of bottles of Cinzano and

Martini
> from the thirsty nazi germans..
>
> the most famous wine in Piemonte is Barolo..
> Piemonte is famous for heavy red wines and Champagne
> type wines.. called in italian vino spumante
> ( it is forbidden to use the word Champagne.. )
>
> the centre of wines is the town of Asti.. or also the
> hills of Monferrato.
> for sure internet pages will help you
> "Dallas wine lover" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > My wife and I are planning a trip to Northern Italy next year and hope

> > visit several wineries in the Piemonte area. I read another post that
> > suggested it was difficult to arrange visits like this in Italy. We've

> never
> > had a problem in the other wine areas we've been to (South Africa,

> Bordeaux,
> > Tuscany, Napa/Sonoma).
> >
> > Are wineries in Piemonte open for visits and are there ones you would
> > recommend?

punk

"tile" > wrote in message
> well
> for sure there is a famous town.
> they even made a film out of it
>
> it was called
>
> the secret of santa vittoria
> ( if i well remember Anthony Quinn was one of the characters.. )
>
> it should be
> santa vittoria d'alba
> where the locals successfully hid millions of bottles of Cinzano and

Martini
> from the thirsty nazi germans..
>
> the most famous wine in Piemonte is Barolo..
> Piemonte is famous for heavy red wines and Champagne
> type wines.. called in italian vino spumante
> ( it is forbidden to use the word Champagne.. )
>
> the centre of wines is the town of Asti.. or also the
> hills of Monferrato.
> for sure internet pages will help you
> "Dallas wine lover" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > My wife and I are planning a trip to Northern Italy next year and hope

> > visit several wineries in the Piemonte area. I read another post that
> > suggested it was difficult to arrange visits like this in Italy. We've

> never
> > had a problem in the other wine areas we've been to (South Africa,

> Bordeaux,
> > Tuscany, Napa/Sonoma).
> >
> > Are wineries in Piemonte open for visits and are there ones you would
> > recommend?

Mauro Veglio

This is the first time I answer to a message and I'm not sure I'm doing it
right.
I live in Piemonte, in the Barolo area and me and my husband own a small
winery (but this is no advertising!!!)
As I can see, visitors are really welcome everywhere, and I am sad that some
people had different experience.
Most wineries are small and not "turistically equiped", but I think this is
the real soul of Piemonte, what our visitors are looking for...
Anyway I am sure that you will find help anywhere here, starting from the
people in the Hotels or just ask to anyone you meet: they may not speak
english, but they will do their best to be helpful.

Daniela

"Dallas wine lover" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> My wife and I are planning a trip to Northern Italy next year and hope to
> visit several wineries in the Piemonte area. I read another post that
> suggested it was difficult to arrange visits like this in Italy. We've

never
> had a problem in the other wine areas we've been to (South Africa,

Bordeaux,
> Tuscany, Napa/Sonoma).
>
> Are wineries in Piemonte open for visits and are there ones you would
> recommend?

Deep Foiled Malls

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:06:04 GMT, "Mauro Veglio"
> wrote:

>This is the first time I answer to a message and I'm not sure I'm doing it
>right.
>I live in Piemonte, in the Barolo area and me and my husband own a small
>winery (but this is no advertising!!!)
>As I can see, visitors are really welcome everywhere, and I am sad that some
>people had different experience.
>Most wineries are small and not "turistically equiped", but I think this is
>the real soul of Piemonte, what our visitors are looking for...
>Anyway I am sure that you will find help anywhere here, starting from the
>people in the Hotels or just ask to anyone you meet: they may not speak
>english, but they will do their best to be helpful.

Italians are very forgiving when it comes to their language. Everyone
knows a few words of Italian, and the more you know, the more they
like it. Learn a bit of the local dialect, and they will pour wine
into you like you just saved their life!

Anyway, it's all true of course. The small wineries are the ones to go
to. If you are lucky, you might end up tasting some great wine with
the owners speaking broken Italian/French/English and having a great
time.

Viva L'Italia!!!!
--
---