Posted to alt.food.wine
e. winemonger

Default Grüner Veltliner in today's San Francisco Chronicle

Actually, three pieces in today's S.F. Wine section: one with reviews
of dozens of Grüners from the 2002, 2003, and 2004 vintages:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...IGMPGOPTP1.DTL

One with what seems a nifty pairing of a Tunisian-Inspired Fish Soup:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...IGMPGOPTV1.DTL

And the third which proclaims it to be "Groovy with Food":
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...IGJGGOSA11.DTL

Cheers,
e.
__________________
www.winemonger.com

Posted to alt.food.wine
Mark Lipton

e. winemonger wrote:
> Actually, three pieces in today's S.F. Wine section: one with reviews
> of dozens of Grüners from the 2002, 2003, and 2004 vintages:
> http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...IGMPGOPTP1.DTL

Good to see Johann Donabaum getting his due in that article, especially
in such august company (Hirsch, Loibner, Brundlmayer, Gobelsburg). I
didn't taste the wine they tasted when I was at VinoVenue, but I still
think that they may have shortchanged him a star ;-)

> And the third which proclaims it to be "Groovy with Food":
> http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...IGJGGOSA11.DTL

Hmmm... GV is just a poor excuse for Riesling?? Sorry, but I can't
agree. As much as I appreciate the qualities of a good Riesling, GV is
an even more versatile food wine IMO owing to its not being so aromatic.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine
e. winemonger

Mark Lipton wrote:
>>Hmmm... GV is just a poor excuse for Riesling?? Sorry, but I can't

agree. As much as I appreciate the qualities of a good Riesling, GV is
an even more versatile food wine IMO owing to its not being so
aromatic.<<

I have to agree with you. I love Riesling on its own merits, but don't
really see the point in comparing the two.

And yes, absolutely they shortchanged Johann a star or two!
But seriously, I do think that our low prices on his wines might be a
factor in folks perceiving it as being somehow of lesser quality. It's
something we have long suspected, and then the article as much as said
so: "When it's grown in a superior location, cropped lower still and
picked by hand, Gruner Veltliner can produce a superb wine that's
complex and aromatic, typically dry, peppery or spicy (or a combination
of freshly ground white pepper and grated nutmeg) and capable of aging.
Expect to pay $30-plus at retail for this level of Gruner."

Frustrating!

e.

BTW- the "boys" (Johann and Franz-Josef) will be back in town at the
end of February. It's a shame you've moved! I think we'll do a few
tastings at shops and perhaps a winemakers dinner.

[TN] Two Grüner Veltliners revisited Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 10 28-08-2008 01:05 PM
"Points" discussion in today's SF Chronicle Max Hauser Wine 0 22-06-2007 08:05 PM
Grüner Veltliner st.helier Wine 4 15-09-2005 11:02 AM
TN: 2003 FX Pichler Grüner Veltliner Federspiel Loibner Klostersatz Mark Lipton Wine 0 01-08-2005 05:51 AM
TN: 2001 Prager Grüner Veltliner Weissenkirchen Achleiten Smaragd Mark Lipton Wine 13 11-06-2005 11:14 PM