Mark Lipton

Default TN: 2001 Prager Grüner Veltliner Weissenkirchen Achleiten Smaragd

Opened tonight with a dinner of grilled Copper River salmon on a bed of
wilted spinach (yummy)

color: deep greenish-yellow
nose: grapefruit, pepper and a hint of iodine
palate: crisp, rich, citrus notes and more iodine, finishing with pepper

I picked up several bottles of this at Sam's during one of their sales a
while back. Delicious and a great foil for the grilled salmon (no, I'm
not an advocate of Pinot Noir with salmon). The two friends who dined
with us were deliriously happy with the wine. Two more GV converts!

NB: We followed this up by trying a bottle of corked 2002 Boudin Chablis
that had been stored for 3 days in the fridge with a wad of plastic wrap
between the cork and the wine (this per a recommendation made by Jamie
Goode [http://www.wineanorak.com]). There was still a faint hint of
cork taint to the wine, but it was demonstrably less than it had been
when first opened. Our guests couldn't detect any cork taint in it, and
it still retained its varietal character and fruit. I don't know if
it's a Universal panacea, but it definitely helped in this case.

Mark Lipton
DaleW

Thanks for note. I think I've never had a Prager GV, though I've
enjoyed Prager Rieslings.

I'm eagerly (well, not really) waiting for my next corked bottle, to
try the plastic bag method (is it wrap? I thought a cheapie baggie was
the preferred method).

Mark Lipton

DaleW wrote:
> Thanks for note. I think I've never had a Prager GV, though I've
> enjoyed Prager Rieslings.
>
> I'm eagerly (well, not really) waiting for my next corked bottle, to
> try the plastic bag method (is it wrap? I thought a cheapie baggie was
> the preferred method).

Dale,
It'd probably work with either. The idea, so far as I can tell, is
to extract the TCA out of the wine into the greasy polymer of the
plastic. Polyethylene wrap should work as well as a polyethylene
baggie. The only limitations are that the polymer should be flexible
and that you should avoid polymers that contain plasticizers like
phthalates 'cos they may end up in the wine. AFAIK, most flexible
"plastic" wrap (and baggies) is either PVC or low density polyethylene.
Either should do the job just fine.

Mark Lipton
D. Gerasimatos

In article .com>,
DaleW > wrote:

>Thanks for note. I think I've never had a Prager GV, though I've
>enjoyed Prager Rieslings.

I agree that Prager makes great rieslings in a dry style. They aren't
cheap, though. May I ask what the GV cost?

Dimitri

Cwdjrx _

Mark Lipto responds to Dale Williams:

"Dale,
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0It'd probably work with either. The idea, so far as I
can tell, is to extract the TCA out of the wine into the greasy polymer
of the plastic. Polyethylene wrap should work as well as a polyethylene
baggie. The only limitations are that the polymer should be flexible and
that you should avoid polymers that contain plasticizers like phthalates
'cos they may end up in the wine. AFAIK, most flexible "plastic" wrap
(and baggies) is either PVC or low density polyethylene.
=A0=A0=A0=A0Either should do the job just fine.
Mark Lipton"

Saran Original wrap was a different plastic than the usual polyethylene
type. Unlike polyethylene, it had the advantage that it was vapor proof
and thus good to wrap foods for long-term freezing, However the last box
I bought was relabeled Saran Premium. The box says the plastic
formulation has been changed to remove chlorine. However go to their web
site at http://www.saranbrands.com/faq.asp to find out what really
happened. After you read several paragraphs of hype, you find that the
new Saran Premium that replaces Saran Original is just a bit thicker
polyethylene. You also find that they do not suggest it for long term
freezing. They also admit that the Original was safe and FDA approved
for food use. At least they should have stated on the new box that it no
longer is suited for long term freezing of food. Saran was owned by a
chemical company that developed it until a few years ago when it was
sold to Johnson. Johnson continued selling the oiginal for a while, but
they introduced a lower priced film that was just polyethylene, but used
the Saran name. Now it appears that the Saran name is used only for
polyethylene film, a far cheaper and inferior product. So you likely can
use the new Johnson polyethylne film called 'Saran" in your wine. I
guess I will have to double wrap food to freeze - first in plastic wrap
and then in aluminum foil to make it vapor proof.

Reply to .

Mark Lipton

D. Gerasimatos wrote:
> In article .com>,
> DaleW > wrote:
>
>>Thanks for note. I think I've never had a Prager GV, though I've
>>enjoyed Prager Rieslings.

> I agree that Prager makes great rieslings in a dry style. They aren't
> cheap, though. May I ask what the GV cost?

You can ask, Dimitri, but that doesn't mean that I remember ;-) I
bought it on sale at Sam's in the last 1-2 years. Judging from their
current pricing on Prager's 2003 ($39) I'd guess that I paid $20-25 for
mine. I'm still educating my palate on GVs, but I'd say that it was
less interesting than Emmerich Knoll's '01 Smaragd but just a notch
below in terms of quality.

Mark Lipton
Anders Tørneskog

"D. Gerasimatos" > skrev i melding
> In article .com>,
> DaleW > wrote:
>>
>>Thanks for note. I think I've never had a Prager GV, though I've
>>enjoyed Prager Rieslings.

> I agree that Prager makes great rieslings in a dry style. They aren't
> cheap, though. May I ask what the GV cost?

Don't know about the 2001 but 2002 versions were 19EUR for the GV and 22EUR
for the Riesling at the winery. Outstanding wines both, I understand.
Anders

Mark-
I can't remember...where are you living now?

Emily

D. Gerasimatos

In article >,
Anders Tørneskog > wrote:

>Don't know about the 2001 but 2002 versions were 19EUR for the GV and 22EUR
>for the Riesling at the winery. Outstanding wines both, I understand.

Wow. I paid more than $50 US for the riesling in Santa Barbara, CA.

Dimitri

Anders Tørneskog

"D. Gerasimatos" > skrev i melding
> In article >,
> Anders Tørneskog > wrote:
>>
>>Don't know about the 2001 but 2002 versions were 19EUR for the GV and
>>22EUR
>>for the Riesling at the winery. Outstanding wines both, I understand.

> Wow. I paid more than $50 US for the riesling in Santa Barbara, CA.

Steep, but 50USD=43EUR give or take some, and then there's transportation,
storage and other costs + some necessary profit, possibly aggravated by the
multi-tier system... so 50USD may not be all that bad after all.
Around here, the Ravenswood Zinfandel 2000 is 29.30USD and the Opus One 1999
is 175USD. How are your prices?

Mark Lipton

Anders Tørneskog wrote:

> Steep, but 50USD=43EUR give or take some, and then there's transportation,
> storage and other costs + some necessary profit, possibly aggravated by the
> multi-tier system... so 50USD may not be all that bad after all.
> Around here, the Ravenswood Zinfandel 2000 is 29.30USD and the Opus One 1999
> is 175USD. How are your prices?

Assuming that the Ravenswood Zin is their "Vintner's Blend" (aka Ch.
Cashflow), it would retail typically for 9-12 USD. Of course, they also
have many other Zins, including "Village-level" (Sonoma, Amador,
Mendocino, Lodi, etc.) that retail for just slightly more money. Their
single vineyard offerings are far pricier (25-50 USD). The US price for
'99 Opus is 120-150 USD (and IMO overpriced at half that price).

Mark Lipton
Anders Tørneskog

"Mark Lipton" > skrev i melding
> Assuming that the Ravenswood Zin is their "Vintner's Blend" (aka Ch.
> Cashflow), it would retail typically for 9-12 USD. Of course, they also
> have many other Zins, including "Village-level" (Sonoma, Amador,
> Mendocino, Lodi, etc.) that retail for just slightly more money. Their
> single vineyard offerings are far pricier (25-50 USD).

Hi Mark
Checked up: There's a Vintners Blend, yes, and it costs 23,05USD. What I
mentioned first at 29.30USD was labeled Sonoma.
It fits with Norwegian taxing which is less a tax of value than a tax on
alcohol. Therefore an expensive bottle is relatively cheap here and a cheap
bottle is awfully expensive!
Furthermore the state monopoly is a big actor in the market getting
favourable prices and keeping own profits low, so the markup on imports is
fairly reasonable.
The Prager Achleiten Riesling Smaragd 2003 is 45.50USD here, by the way.

Mark Lipton wrote:

> I have a hard time remembering too, Emily, but we're "Back home again in
> Indiana" as the song goes, furiously trying to take care of all the
> business we put aside during our sabbatical in Berkeley.
>
> Mark Lipton

Mark-
Do me a favor and send me your email address- I can't find it.
I'm at:

Thanks,
e.

Grüner Veltliner in today's San Francisco Chronicle e. winemonger Wine 2 20-01-2006 06:06 PM
TN: Alzinger Loibner Mühlpoint GV Smaragd 2001 Anders Tørneskog Wine 1 14-01-2006 10:39 PM
TN: 2001 Prager GV Smaragd 'Achleiten' Mark Lipton Wine 5 07-12-2005 11:35 PM
Grüner Veltliner st.helier Wine 4 15-09-2005 11:02 AM
TN: 2003 FX Pichler Grüner Veltliner Federspiel Loibner Klostersatz Mark Lipton Wine 0 01-08-2005 05:51 AM