Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Two Grüner Veltliners revisited

Last night, with assorted leftovers from our weekend party, we also
dipped into some leftover wine:

2007 Loimer "Lois" Grüner Veltliner
nose: minerals, citrus, burnt matchsticks
palate: light body, good acidity and more burnt matchsticks

I recall a discussion with M. Pronay some years ago about an earlier
Lois where I got this same impression, about halfway between high toast
oak and burnt matchstick. IIRC, I was informed that Lois sees no oak,
so I am now proclaiming it to be sulfur instead. Whatever it is, it
does interfere with my enjoyment of this wine.

Tonight, we had dinner out with Andrew and had wine by the glass:

2006 Allram Strassentaler Grüner Veltliner
nose: minerals, hint of citrus, herbal
palate: medium-light body, acidity, minerality and herbal notes

Quite a contrast with '04 served at our party, this was a weightier
wine, as befits the year, which still had the acidity and mineral
character that I find so appealing. Quite a good wine for the price.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Two Grüner Veltliners revisited

On Aug 26, 9:59 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Last night, with assorted leftovers from our weekend party, we also
> dipped into some leftover wine:
>
> 2007 Loimer "Lois" Grüner Veltliner
> nose: minerals, citrus, burnt matchsticks
> palate: light body, good acidity and more burnt matchsticks
>
> I recall a discussion with M. Pronay some years ago about an earlier
> Lois where I got this same impression, about halfway between high toast
> oak and burnt matchstick. IIRC, I was informed that Lois sees no oak,
> so I am now proclaiming it to be sulfur instead. Whatever it is, it
> does interfere with my enjoyment of this wine.
>
> Tonight, we had dinner out with Andrew and had wine by the glass:
>
> 2006 Allram Strassentaler Grüner Veltliner
> nose: minerals, hint of citrus, herbal
> palate: medium-light body, acidity, minerality and herbal notes
>
> Quite a contrast with '04 served at our party, this was a weightier
> wine, as befits the year, which still had the acidity and mineral
> character that I find so appealing. Quite a good wine for the price.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Do yourself a favor and try to find som Bernhard Ott "Der Ott" 2006.
This is a knockout GruV.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Slater wrote:

> Do yourself a favor and try to find som Bernhard Ott "Der Ott" 2006.
> This is a knockout GruV.

Understood, but we're in a very small market so few GVs available
locally. Next time I'm shopping out of area, though, I'll make a search
for it. Thanks for the tip.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 27, 12:16 am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Mark Slater wrote:
> > Do yourself a favor and try to find som Bernhard Ott "Der Ott" 2006.
> > This is a knockout GruV.

> Understood, but we're in a very small market so few GVs available
> locally. Next time I'm shopping out of area, though, I'll make a search
> for it. Thanks for the tip.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Mark, I think I mentioned the GV tasting I did last April in France
with 620 GruV's. The Ott was one of the top 10. I can put you in touch
with the importer if you want.
( Small smiley thing: "GruV" is pronounced "Groovy". My European
sommelier friends thought that was hilarious.)
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote:

> 2007 Loimer "Lois" Grüner Veltliner
> nose: minerals, citrus, burnt matchsticks
> palate: light body, good acidity and more burnt matchsticks
>
> I recall a discussion with M. Pronay some years ago about an
> earlier Lois where I got this same impression, about halfway
> between high toast oak and burnt matchstick. IIRC, I was
> informed that Lois sees no oak, so I am now proclaiming it to be
> sulfur instead. Whatever it is, it does interfere with my
> enjoyment of this wine.

Probably you are right with the sulphur. Unfortunately (or, in
fact quite fortunately!) my sensory threshold to sulphur is
rather very high, so I can't really comment.

> Tonight, we had dinner out with Andrew and had wine by the
> glass:
>
> 2006 Allram Strassentaler Grüner Veltliner

Strasse_r_taler

> nose: minerals, hint of citrus, herbal
> palate: medium-light body, acidity, minerality and herbal notes
>
> Quite a contrast with '04 served at our party, this was a
> weightier wine, as befits the year, which still had the acidity
> and mineral character that I find so appealing. Quite a good
> wine for the price.

Glad you liked it!

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Two Gr�ner Veltliners revisited

On Aug 26, 11:59�pm, Mark Slater > wrote:
> On Aug 26, 9:59 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>

> > Last night, with assorted leftovers from our weekend party, we also
> > dipped into some leftover wine:

> > 2007 Loimer "Lois" Gr�ner Veltliner
> > nose: minerals, citrus, burnt matchsticks
> > palate: light body, good acidity and more burnt matchsticks

> > I recall a discussion with M. Pronay some years ago about an earlier
> > Lois where I got this same impression, about halfway between high toast
> > oak and burnt matchstick. �IIRC, I was informed that Lois sees no oak,
> > so I am now proclaiming it to be sulfur instead. �Whatever it is, it
> > does interfere with my enjoyment of this wine.

> > Tonight, we had dinner out with Andrew and had wine by the glass:

> > 2006 Allram Strassentaler Gr�ner Veltliner
> > nose: minerals, hint of citrus, herbal
> > palate: medium-light body, acidity, minerality and herbal notes

> > Quite a contrast with '04 served at our party, this was a weightier
> > wine, as befits the year, which still had the acidity and mineral
> > character that I find so appealing. �Quite a good wine for the price.

> > Mark Lipton
> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> Do yourself a favor and try to find som Bernhard Ott "Der Ott" 2006.
> This is a knockout GruV.- Hide quoted text -

thanks for tip. A few hits on WS Pro. One is almost guaranteed not to
have (the bad Wine Chateau, in NJ) and the 2 West Coast (WHWC and K&L)
are considerably higher ($27). But there is a wine store in Upper
Manhattan that has shown up a few times on searches. I'll try and stop
there ($20) and give it a try.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 27, 3:41�am, Michael Pronay > wrote:

> Probably you are right with the sulphur. Unfortunately (or, in
> fact quite fortunately!) my sensory threshold to sulphur is
> rather very high, so I can't really comment.

We share that trait. Other than a few things like really young JJ
Prum, I virtually never note sulphur.
I must say it is refreshing for a wine professional to be clear that
his/her sensory threshold might be high for something. It seems so
clear to me that humans vary widely in their sensitivity to TCA, brett
(and its different strains), sulphur, reductive odors, VA (not to
mention other less-definted things such as the greenness some people
get in some vintages of Pichon Lalande or Loire reds). Yet some
critics seem to have a fairly high tolerance for some things and not
admit it. The flip side of course is those who have an abnormal
sensitivity to brett or sulphur, and score down wines heavily based on
a "fault" that most wine drinkers would never detect.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> Last night, with assorted leftovers from our weekend party, we also
> dipped into some leftover wine:
>
> 2007 Loimer "Lois" Grüner Veltliner
> nose: minerals, citrus, burnt matchsticks
> palate: light body, good acidity and more burnt matchsticks
>
> I recall a discussion with M. Pronay some years ago about an earlier
> Lois where I got this same impression, about halfway between high toast
> oak and burnt matchstick. IIRC, I was informed that Lois sees no oak,
> so I am now proclaiming it to be sulfur instead. Whatever it is, it
> does interfere with my enjoyment of this wine.
>
> Tonight, we had dinner out with Andrew and had wine by the glass:
>
> 2006 Allram Strassentaler Grüner Veltliner
> nose: minerals, hint of citrus, herbal
> palate: medium-light body, acidity, minerality and herbal notes
>
> Quite a contrast with '04 served at our party, this was a weightier
> wine, as befits the year, which still had the acidity and mineral
> character that I find so appealing. Quite a good wine for the price.
>
> Mark Lipton

Good note Mark. I looked at my notes for Loimer "Lois" 2007 and have
sulfur listed in the nose and I gave it a B- on the Dale scale. I would
not buy this one again for my tastes.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote:

> I must say it is refreshing for a wine professional to be clear
> that his/her sensory threshold might be high for something.

I never had a problem admitting this. I guess just about everyone
has a different nose/palate profile. For me, I have high tresholds
for sulphur and brett*), average or slightly below to TCA, and
quite a low one for oxidation. In the latter case, on a tasting
panel, usually I am the watchdog.

*) A collegue of mine recently cited a paper that only 1 out of 8
persons are precisely able to identify brett. So being among the
87.5 percent who cannot doesn't worry me at all!

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote:

>> Do yourself a favor and try to find som Bernhard Ott "Der Ott"
>> 2006. This is a knockout GruV.- Hide quoted text -

> thanks for tip. A few hits on WS Pro. One is almost guaranteed
> not to have (the bad Wine Chateau, in NJ) and the 2 West Coast
> (WHWC and K&L) are considerably higher ($27). But there is a
> wine store in Upper Manhattan that has shown up a few times on
> searches. I'll try and stop there ($20) and give it a try.

If memory serves me right, it should be screw-capped, so one more
reason to go for it.

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote:

> I must say it is refreshing for a wine professional to be clear
> that his/her sensory threshold might be high for something.

I never had a problem admitting this. I guess just about everyone
has a different nose/palate profile. For me, I have high tresholds
for sulphur and brett*), average or slightly below to TCA, and
quite a low one for oxidation. In the latter case, on a tasting
panel, usually I am the watchdog.

*) A collegue of mine recently cited a paper that only 1 out of 8
persons are able to precisely identify brett. So being among the
87.5 percent who cannot doesn't worry me at all!

M.

Rum Pot Revisited Casey Wilson Winemaking 10 14-04-2007 10:17 PM
Grüner Veltliner in today's San Francisco Chronicle e. winemonger Wine 2 20-01-2006 07:06 PM
Grüner Veltliner st.helier Wine 4 15-09-2005 11:02 AM
TN: 2003 FX Pichler Grüner Veltliner Federspiel Loibner Klostersatz Mark Lipton Wine 0 01-08-2005 05:51 AM
TN: 2001 Prager Grüner Veltliner Weissenkirchen Achleiten Smaragd Mark Lipton Wine 13 11-06-2005 11:14 PM