Emery Davis

Default EU and US reconcile naming conventions

There's an article on the front page of the EU IHT today by Thomas
Fuller, entitled "US and EU reconcile over glass of wine." I'm unable
to find the article online, although it is likely to turn up on www.iht.com
later today or tomorrow.

In brief, it recounts that negotiators in Washington have agreed to
label and some content common ground. US producers can use
"traditional EU expressions" like "chateau" and "sur lie" but are
restricted from using place names like Chablis and Champagne.
The exception is for wines that already hold such branding. Also
addressed apparently is the legalization of things like oak tea-bags,
special filtration techniques and the addition of water in the EU.

No more california retsina. Shucks.

The bill will be introduced to congress by shrub's men, and is
seen as a victory for US interests.

On a related note on wednesday at a rather good restaurant
in Paris I was offered a zin! When I inquired further I was told
it was Turning Leaf CA zin, to which I could only reply "surtout pas
ca!"

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
Richard Neidich

Emory, you do know that Turning leaf is "Gallo"

"Emery Davis" > wrote in message
. ..
> There's an article on the front page of the EU IHT today by Thomas
> Fuller, entitled "US and EU reconcile over glass of wine." I'm unable
> to find the article online, although it is likely to turn up on
> www.iht.com
> later today or tomorrow.
>
> In brief, it recounts that negotiators in Washington have agreed to
> label and some content common ground. US producers can use
> "traditional EU expressions" like "chateau" and "sur lie" but are
> restricted from using place names like Chablis and Champagne.
> The exception is for wines that already hold such branding. Also
> addressed apparently is the legalization of things like oak tea-bags,
> special filtration techniques and the addition of water in the EU.
>
> No more california retsina. Shucks.
>
> The bill will be introduced to congress by shrub's men, and is
> seen as a victory for US interests.
>
> On a related note on wednesday at a rather good restaurant
> in Paris I was offered a zin! When I inquired further I was told
> it was Turning Leaf CA zin, to which I could only reply "surtout pas
> ca!"
>
> -E
>
> --
> Emery Davis
> You can reply to
> by removing the well known companies

Emery Davis

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:51:24 GMT, "Richard Neidich" > said:

] Emory, you do know that Turning leaf is "Gallo"
]
[]

I confess ignorance!!

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
by removing the well known companies

Update on food for conventions Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 0 30-09-2010 07:20 AM
Geographic Naming (SLIGHTLY OT) Richard Neidich Wine 7 10-09-2004 09:58 PM
Naming a Zinfandel Bill Wine 27 17-07-2004 03:27 AM
International naming of baked yummies David Hare-Scott General Cooking 55 08-06-2004 12:52 AM